American Horror Story 12/15/11 "Birth"

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by aadam101, Dec 16, 2011.

1. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    Wow. Just wow. Violet's death was a pretty big shocker but this one was an even a bigger surprise. Vivian is dead. I was getting a little tired of them being terrorized each week and still staying in the house. At least now they have a reason to stay and possible have some new people move in at some point.

The birth scene was fantastic. The doctor and nurses ghosts generally seemed to care about the babies. They didn't seem to have any desire to steal them. I thought it was odd how they were so willing to help Vivian.

I can't wait to see the babies. Should we expect one of them to be as Constance puts it, a "mongoloid"?

One thing I noticed they have been a bit inconsistent on is the way the ghosts looks after their deaths. The burned wife and kids were still burned as ghosts but Hayden got a shovel to the face and her face looks just fine. Do you think Vivian will "heal" or will her lady parts be destined for an eternity of whatever happens to lady parts during child birth?

2. jamesbobo

jamesbobo with a grain of salt

Jun 18, 2000
    NJ
    It looks like the death of the exterminator is forgotten. He was asked to get an estimate and was killed in the crawl space. Doesn't the owner wonder why he went in and never came out? Isn't his truck still parked outside? Isn't the company he works for wondering what happened to him. They know he went there.

3. danterner

danterner Not it!

Mar 4, 2005
    Greenacres, FL
    That is a pretty big string to leave dangling, isn't it? We've seen the ghosts/denizens collaborate to dispose of bodies before, though - most recently with Constance's boytoy. Maybe they've done the same with the exterminator? If nothing else, you'd think the blowfly problem would be twice as bad now...

The characters in this show are like Wilbur, Christian's son in later seasons of Nip/Tuck - sometimes they're written into the continuity, sometimes they're forgotten.

Anyone seen the dog since Halloween? Maybe he got nuked, after all...

4. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    For that matter, they have been a bit inconsistent on the way the maid looks. Sometimes the age she was when she died, sometimes the age she was when she died plus a bullet hole through her head, sometimes the age she'd be today (complete with missing eye)...

It would seem the ghosts (or the house) have some control over their appearance.

I love the way this show has developed over the course of the season. A great slow-burn show that is now really on fire.

5. Cearbhaill

Cearbhaill Garden obsessed

Aug 1, 2004
    My back yard
    Especially Charles/doctor to the stars.
    He looked so sad when Vivian died.

The way that scene was shot was great- the flashes to inside Ben's mind (who ARE these people)- the chaos, the terror, and then the loss and the quiet.

Do we spoiler speculation here?
    Because many people elsewhere are fearing that the use of
    Newhart footage in the beginning of the show portends the whole show as being Ben's sort of "Jacob's Ladder" experience after Vivian stabbed him when finding him with Hayden in the pilot episode. As in the doctor is his doctor, Tate could be an EMT, Constance a nurse, and so on.
    Hopefully Newhart was a red herring.
    Interview with Ryan Murphy released yesterday has him saying that after we see the finale everything in the pilot episode will make much more sense.

Show received a Golden Globe nomination for Best TV Drama as well as Jessica Lange Best Supporting Actress.

6. danterner

danterner Not it!

Mar 4, 2005
    Greenacres, FL
    Of all the shows that premiered this season, this one is definitely my favorite.

I wonder what form season 2 will take. I can imagine a couple of ways to go:

1. A new house somewhere else, with a new cast

2. A total shift in storytelling that doesn't center around a haunted house at all but instead explores some other American horror trope (maybe even with the same cast, playing completely different roles).

3. Or just more of the same in a direct continuation: new homeowners, with some new ghosts (Vivian, Violet, Ben (assuming he doesn't make it through the finale)) to haunt them

It would be a shame to lose some of these actors if the show starts again with a different story. But I think back to the original plan for Heroes, and how much of a better show that could have been had they stuck to the original plan to reboot with new characters each season, and I hope this show doesn't succumb to a similar fate.

7. Bierboy

Bierboy Seasoned gas passer

Jun 12, 2004
    Fishers, IN
    Just when you thought the show couldn't go any further....it DOES. Vivian dying was completely out of left field for me. Even when it appeared she had, I still thought she somehow was alive. How could the finale be any better? Somehow, I know it will....can't wait!

8. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    I just hope they don't wait until the last minute before Season 2 to release the DVD/Blu-ray. Because I want to take my time re-watching it before the S2 premiere.

9. Bierboy

Bierboy Seasoned gas passer

Jun 12, 2004
    Fishers, IN
    Connie Britton spills on this episode and hints at the season finale and whether she'll be back next season in this TVLine story by Michael Ausiello...

10. Cragmyre

Cragmyre Member

Mar 8, 2004
    The maid is seen as others wish to see her. The men all see her as young and hot, the woman see her as she truly is - even Ben finally saw her how she really was when he realized he loved his wife and had no interest in the young version of the maid and fired her.

11. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Except that's NOT how she "truly is"...she died young.

12. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    The best thing about that episode is that is could have easily served as the season finale. The fact that is did't makes me think they are going to really blow us away next week!!

13. Zevida

Zevida witless and unarmed TCF Club

Nov 8, 2003
    San Jose, CA
    I came to the show late and have only seen the second half of the season. I'm not sure I like how they are killing off everyone. I don't like that Vivian died and that Violet is dead. I don't see how the show is sustainable with this type of storytelling. That is becoming an extremely crowded house with all those ghosts.

14. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    The ghosts seem to appear and disappear when it's convenient. I got the feeling the Black Dahlia has never appeared before. She had no idea she was famous. I agree that there are an awful lot of cast members but none of them are boring me.....yet.

I think this show can get at least two great seasons.

15. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Plus it's possible (though, I suspect, not likely) that Violet really did get rid of Tate, in which case ghosts can be "killed."

Which would be ironic...if you want to kill off a cast member, first you have to kill off their character and then kill off their ghost. :D

16. Cearbhaill

Cearbhaill Garden obsessed

Aug 1, 2004
    My back yard
    Nah, when Constance was telling Young Tate how to fend off the Infantata she said (paraphrasing) "every time he bothers you."
    It can't be that easy :D

17. Tivortex

Tivortex Cherished Member

Feb 29, 2004
    Colorado
    I found the boys plan to smother the baby with a "hypoallergenic pillow" at the "perfect age" to be delightfully creepy and twisted.

Bad ghost! Bad!

18. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    That actually does seem plausible. Maybe the ghosts have the ability to banish each other and they return with no memory? The Black Dahlia seemed to have no idea that she was dead or that she had become pretty famous despite her death being a very long time ago.

Does anyone believe Tate that he doesn't remember what happened when he was alive? Maybe he has been banished from the house at one point too?

Here is a question. Why are Tate's victims roaming around? Are there other places in LA that have the same power as the murder house?

19. madscientist

madscientist Deregistered Snoozer

Nov 12, 2003
    Lexington, MA
    Tate's victims can only appear on Halloween. I think the idea is that lots of ghosts with unresolved issues can manifest on Halloween. Ghosts of people who died in the house can appear at any time.

So, for the first few episodes I was not loving this show so much, but in the last 4 episodes it's become must-see TV. Really looking forward to the next one!

20. TAsunder

TAsunder Debates Ghee vs Gi

Aug 6, 2003
    Madison, WI
    This show is a lot better than I thought it was going to be early on. It seemed to be mood and random frights at first. The story has become increasingly coherent even as it becomes increasingly depraved.