American Gods - Season Two Thread *spoilers*

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by astrohip, Mar 11, 2019.

1. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...

Advertisements

And we're back...

American Gods, Starz, Season Two, there will be spoilers ahead.

2. trainman

trainman Nice to see you

Jan 29, 2001
    Sherman...
    As far as I can tell (I went there in the summer of 2008), most of those House on the Rock scenes really were filmed in the House on the Rock.

3. stile99

stile99 Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2002
    What did your fortune say?

4. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    American Gods is the first thing Neil Gaiman wrote after moving to the US, so it's filled with some of his Western Wisconsin experiences (there's a scene where Shadow almost freezes to death because he doesn't understand how cold and vast America can be...which makes no sense for Shadow, from Indiana, but perfect sense for Gaiman, from England).

5. Craigbob

Craigbob Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2006
    Land of...

Advertisements

I binged season 1 during the weekend, and caught the premier of S2. I don't think the new episode has the character the first season had. It seemed I don't know too much in your face whereas the first season had more of a subtleness about it.

I read the book a long time ago and don't remember much about it, but just got a new copy and plan on reading it again.

6. mrpope

mrpope Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2006
    Yeah, I've been there a couple of times as a kid, and I remember a few of the exhibits.

7. Anubys

Anubys All About Footwork

Jul 16, 2004
    Fairfax...
    I don't know how this show can last the way it's going. I think the possible audience who can enjoy this is extremely small.

I did love the line: Stupid as a man who bought his Stupid in a 2 for 1 sale :D

8. trainman

trainman Nice to see you

Jan 29, 2001
    Sherman...
    I save my quarters for pinball.

9. JayBird23

JayBird23 New Member

Mar 12, 2019
    Okay opening for Season 2 of American Gods. There was no carryover from the last scene with Easter's taking away Spring. There was no Easter. I think Season 2 is gonna be inferior to Season 1 in many ways. I know there are different people behind the scenes. Oh well, I'll still watch for as long as I can live with it. Acting still good. Visuals still good. Plot and dialogue lag.

10. stile99

Feb 26, 2002
    Sometimes I wonder about television from alternate universes. One where Firefly had a really great fourth season, for example.

Now added to the list, I wonder what American Gods season two is like in the universe that got to explore the Easter storyline.

11. stile99

Feb 26, 2002
    So before the season started, the reviews said the visual magic was gone. This was proven a lie when episode one was released. Then the reviews said the series has moved away from the "coming to America" stories. This was proven a lie when episode two was released.

0 for two, recappers. Damn shame when people are given early access and then just write nonsense without even watching. Looking forward to reading this week's articles about episode three. Whatever they say doesn't happen is sure to happen.

12. JayBird23

JayBird23 New Member

Mar 12, 2019
    There are a lot of haters out there. I went on Rotten Tomatoes, and like I expected, the critics were dissing on AG while the fans loved it. I'm excited to hear AG has been renewed for Season 3 with a new Showrunner. Gaiman seems happy and it probably will be the best season yet. This year has been a little choppy but it's still gripping and entertaining.

I watched the episode again with subtitles so none of the dialogue could get by me. I really liked it that way. Maybe next week I'll watch it twice, as well, but use subtitles the first time and none the second. That way you can enjoy the visuals which are always awesome.

13. Anubys

Anubys All About Footwork

Jul 16, 2004
    Fairfax...
    So what God is that old lady who Odin loved to much? what's her story and the young woman she turns into at night?

14. stile99

Feb 26, 2002
  15. jamesbobo

jamesbobo with a grain of salt

Jun 18, 2000
    NJ
    I wonder if Cloris Leachman is able to stand on her own, she is in her early 90's. This episode showed her either sitting or lying down. I also wonder what is the budget on this show. I don't think Starz has HBO money, but the visuals on this show make it look like each episode costs millions.

Speaking of Cloris Leachman, here we are back in 2014.
    [​IMG]Cloris Leachman and me. by James, on Flickr

Last edited: Mar 19, 2019
  16. realityboy

realityboy Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    I think they were spending around $8 million per episode in season 1. Part of the reason for new show runners is that the previous show runners wanted to increase the budget.

Edit: Here’s an article about the rising costs of shows from 2017 when season 1 was on.

TV Series Budgets Hit the Breaking Point as Costs Skyrocket in Peak TV Era

17. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    This review of the latest episode pretty much puts its finger on what has made me...uneasy about this season. It's just not as bonkers as the first season was, but it really needs to be. It's like they're doing the same kind of content, but in a more mundane fashion. It will be interesting to see what the third season's showrunner does...

American Gods Is Relying Too Much on Its Heady Subtext

18. tomhorsley

tomhorsley Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2010
    The last episode was a lot more like a televised debate than an American Gods episode (another great speech from Ananzi though :).

19. Tony_T

Tony_T Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2017

20. Malcontent

Malcontent Ancient Astronaut Theorist

Sep 4, 2004
    Season 3 starts tonight. The first episode is already available via on demand, ect.

Tony_T likes this.