American Experience "Walt Disney"

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by brianric, Sep 10, 2015.

1. brianric

brianric Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2002
    Pennsville, NJ

Advertisements

In Philly area PBS on September 15 at 9 PM. Documentary on Walt Disney.

Just checked, there's two parts, check your listings.

2. TiVo'Brien

TiVo'Brien Now with 2.6% Fewer Organs TCF Club

Feb 8, 2002
    Orlando,...
    Rumor is at the end of part 2 they unfreeze him.

3. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    :D:up:

I'm excited about this because he's a fascinating guy who you just don't see TV Bios about. I wonder if they'll touch on some of the dark side. It's rumored he was very anti-semetic, probably because all the major studios were run by Jews in those days.

4. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    I'm looking forward to it since they're claiming it will not be white washed, so much of the "Disney" history has been retconned so far from reality that he might as well have been a fictional character at times :)

5. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
  6. Hoffer

Hoffer Eat Lightning ----- Poo Thunder TCF Club

Jun 1, 2001
    Twin Cities, MN
    I just watched Saving Mr Banks over the weekend. I then realized I'd never seen Mary Poppins. So, I rented and watched that. Now I've had those damn songs in my head for 4 days. :)

Due to the above, I have a current interest in Walt and will be watching this. thanks!

7. Hoffer

Jun 1, 2001
    Twin Cities, MN
    I watched all 4 hours of this and enjoyed it. I never realized Disney was such a pioneer in animation. Also didn't realize that some of the early Disney classics were considered failures at the time.

8. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    I watched this too. Very enjoyable, although I did think that they did a bit of a whitewash job. I wanted to see more about how he interacted with the other studios because from another documentary I watched, it seemed that he was somewhat of an outsider.

I also didn't realize that only Snow White was a success and it wasn't until Cinderella did he have another success with a full length animation.

9. Zephyr

Zephyr Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2005
    Free State...
  10. Hoffer

Jun 1, 2001
    Twin Cities, MN
    This post got me thinking about Oswald the Rabbit. Which I think was kinda Disney's first character.

I was reading Oswald's wikipedia page. I did not realize that Disney bought the rights to Oswald from some other company a couple years ago. They basically traded Oswald for Al Michaels, the football announcer. :) I also didn't realize that Oswald was a main character in the Epic Mickey video games.

11. Zephyr

Zephyr Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2005
    Free State...
    Interesting... I think Disney got the better deal there :) There's a kiosk as you enter Epcot containing a lot of "higher quality" Disney memorabilia and there was a portrait of Walt containing that quote above and I got a good laugh as we had just spent $250 for two day tickets on Christmas eve....

12. jamesbobo

jamesbobo with a grain of salt

Jun 18, 2000
    NJ
    When I first saw this thread I recorded the program only to find out it was the second episode. I watched the first episode online for free using The American Experience homepage. But first I searched On Demand and found it there, but oddly enough, I would have to pay to watch it.
    I did enjoy it but a few interesting tidbits were omitted. Many think Disney made the first color cartoon; not true. He made the first Technicolor cartoon. What's the difference? Before technicolor, color films only used two colors while technicolor used three. That resulted in a much more vibrant and accurate color palette. And while they did mention Ub Iwerks as being a key animator in the first Mickey Mouse shorts after most other animators were hired away, they failed to mention that eventually Ub was hired away as well (1930) and produced a series of Flip the Frog cartoons. Eventually, he would go back to Disney after his studio folded and stayed there for the rest of his career, including working on Mary Poppins.

13. brianric

Aug 29, 2002
    Pennsville, NJ
    Same thing happen to me. Episode one is on at 6:00 PM tonight in Philly.

14. NorthAlabama

NorthAlabama tabasco rules

Apr 19, 2012
    sweet home, al
    great documentary, enjoyed all 4 hours, and learned a bit about disney i never knew.

15. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    PBS sure makes it hard to view their programming.

16. Hoffer

Jun 1, 2001
    Twin Cities, MN
    I had no issue watching this. This thread was the first I heard of it. OP said it was 2 episodes. So, I went out and set my DVR to record the 2 episodes.

17. tvmaster2

tvmaster2 Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2006
    really good photos and film materials. long, but there was that much info. who knew Disney Studios were the original Google campus. And that he outed communists during McCarthy-ism, and that he hated unions....fascinating stuff

18. mrdbdigital

mrdbdigital The TBS Archives TCF Club

Feb 2, 2004
    Moultrie, GA
    I couldn't get the player on PBS.org to open to full screen for this program. Never had this issue watching Frontline or Nova or anything else on their website.

19. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    I agree with the whitewash part, but it was still entertaining/informative.

I would've thought they would have at least mentioned his alleged anti-semitism, and at least made a *joke* about his alleged frozen body.

HP's first sale, or at least first big sale, was for electronics to Disney.

20. brianric

Aug 29, 2002
    Pennsville, NJ
    That was disbunked in Disney War