American Chopper: Series Finale.

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by bareyb, Feb 11, 2010.

1. bareyb

bareyb Under Maintenance TCF Club

Dec 1, 2000
    Silicon Valley

Advertisements

I'll admit I was a little shocked when I heard this would be the last American Chopper episode ever. It's done. :(

I know the show's been weird for awhile, but I'll really miss it. I've done a lot of living in the time that show's been on the air. Had both my kids and even bought a Harley because of it (now sold). Maybe there will be some one-off specials in the future. One can hope. Farewell Teutels. It's been a hell of a ride.

2. WhiskeyTango

WhiskeyTango New Member

Sep 20, 2006
    New Jersey
    I was surprised too to hear this was the end. Just about to start watching it now. I wonder if it was a TLC decision or a Teutel one. TLC seems to be a family destroyer.

3. knuckles

knuckles Watch This Baby!

Dec 21, 2002
    Northeastern PA
    I hope it was TLC.

4. bareyb

Dec 1, 2000
    Silicon Valley
    I've seen a lot of people on the internet talking about a "reality show curse" that seems to follow a lot of these people around. They often end up rich, but they also often end up either miserable, dead, or in prison. Maybe it's a "sold my soul" type of thing. You couldn't pay me enough to be on a reality show. Of course, my life is so dull, nobody would want to see me on one anyway. :p

5. marksman

marksman ID-10-T

Mar 4, 2002

Advertisements

Man sucks too as I am still watching the old shows and trying to watch the newest ones too.

I had tonight's taping, but the snow has messed up my satellite, and it is not being re-run at all as far as I can tell.

As for a curse, lot of greed I think. the tv show itself brought in a lot of money to some people, and beyond that allowed the business to frow beyond to where it probably would have ever gone on its own. I think Paul Jr. always felt he was the reason why the motorcycle business was so strong and made the show, and Mikey was a character who helped actually made the show work.

I will say once the split happened, the show was not nearly as interesting. Covering Paul Jr's ridiculous design company and watching Mikey Flail through life was not fun, it is sad.

There was more than enough credit and money to go around, so it is stupid they fell apart like that.

6. Malcontent

Malcontent Ancient Astronaut Theorist

Sep 4, 2004
    Paul Sr. is estranged from all three of his sons. Jr. hinted on a recent show that his father had a difficult childhood. He didn't go into any details, but what ever it was it most likely affected the relationship with all of his sons.

I'm sad that the show is ending before any kind reconciliation between father and sons could happen. Hopefully they will patch things up. Perhaps without the pressure of the cameras they can work on their differences.

7. Hexerott

Hexerott New Member

Jan 1, 2007
    After Sr gets done suing OCC, his sons, and then divorcing his wife, he will die lonely and full of regret.

Greed is a ***** Sr.

8. bareyb

Dec 1, 2000
    Silicon Valley
    Sr. is suing OCC? :confused:

9. bareyb

Dec 1, 2000
    Silicon Valley
    The coverage I think is the only reason he was able to get any clients at all. I don't think they will be lining up to get Jr's advice on product design once there's no show on TLC to showcase them. I wonder how well OCC as a business will do. I had a bad feeling for them financially ever since they moved into the World HQ. I always felt like they expanded too quickly.

I don't think Sr. will die alone and lonely though. I think he's working on himself and I think he was probably smart enough to put some of that money away. I hope things turn out well for them all. I'm wondering if Paul Jr's design company fails, if he'll end up back at OCC anyway.

I'd love to see a follow up show in a few years to see wth ends up happening. I have a feeling once the cameras have been gone for awhile things will get better for the family.

Not sure what Mikey's doing. Selling his house in this market wasn't particularly smart but you get what you pay for with Mikey. I assume he must be pursuing his stand up comedy thing. Again, probably not going to be nearly as attractive to book now that he doesn't have a camera crew from TLC following him around.

10. DianneGordon

DianneGordon New Member

Feb 12, 2010
    Thanks for this thread! :D

11. ahartman

ahartman Space for Rent

Dec 28, 2001
    Cleveland, OH
    What an odd way to end the show. I have to believe it wasn't planned that way. I suspect someone decided not to appear anymore or that the dueling lawsuits between Sr. & Jr. played a part.

12. Frylock

Frylock Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2002
    Just West...
    I don't get this at all. To me, Sr. is the hard working one, with 2 lazy sons. (His other son, the one who bought Iron Works, seems to be hard working as well). Paulie and Mikey both seemed to want to ride their Dad's coat-tails, and not do the work.

OCC definitely tanked in the new economy, but it seems that Sr. knows how to keep the business going. He's focusing on any work he can bring in which is good, and I think by cancelling the show, it will help him bring his family together, because of the lack of cameras. They can focus on themselves, and not on tv drama.

13. dcheesi

dcheesi ...I'm not.

Apr 6, 2001
    MD, USA
    These shows definitely screw up family dynamics, especially for those not already used to fame. Not only because the fame and (quasi-)fortune get to them, but also because every little family squabble gets recorded for posterity and aired for all their friends to see. It's hard to forgive & forget when you see the incident replayed several months later, and have your friends commenting on it.

14. Swirl_Junkie

Swirl_Junkie New Member

Mar 11, 2001
    Philly, PA
    Anyone else think Mickey was drunk at the food kitchen place? He seemed off.

15. jbernardis

jbernardis Active Member

Oct 21, 2003
    Princeton NJ
    I think the show has deteriorated over the past year or two. I couldn't care less about Paul Junior Designs or their boutique, or about Mikey the stand-up comic. I want to watch them build choppers, and they seem to have been glossing over that. I was seriously considering deleting the season pass - I guess my mind was made up for me.

16. Frylock

Frylock Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2002
    Just West...
    I think they started showing more family stuff as well because they just weren't building that many choppers anymore. I mean, how many people do you think OCC employs now? 10? 20? Definitely down from the high it once was...

17. Test

Test Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2004
    Which episode was the finale? How did everyone know; was it acknowledged in the episode?

18. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    They may be building the bikes - but they're not anywhere close to the custom bikes they once were. They're now basically kit bikes, made up of off-the-shelf components with a little bit of extra flair tacked on. Watching someone put a kit together doesn't make good TV.

19. Gerryex

Gerryex Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2004
    Land O...
    Hi ALL,

I've been watching this show for many years even though I'm not a biker. I liked the mixture of building the bikes and the interaction between the people. While you can't be sure if some of the stuff was scripted or not, we have to assume that the father son fights were mostly real along with the estrangement.

Yes, Paul Jr did not have the same work ethic as his father but so what!! During all the years and all the yelling the custom bikes always seemed to get completed on time. So I never saw the reason Paul Sr got so mad at Jr all the time. I was never keen on Mikey and saw him as only the comic relief. So I can't figure out why he is sorry to be out of OCC since he really never did anything anyway.

What really bothered me was an episode or too ago when Sr's dog was sick but recovered. Sr was telling the workers and he was very emotional about it. While I may not be a dog person I can understand the attachment to your dog. But to have so much emotion for his dog, yet be totally estranged from all his sons and not even try to get back together. That really bothered me!

I didn't know that was the series finale and I agree that without the cameras neither OCC nor Paul Jr Designs will be as successful as their respective owners want!!!

Gerry

20. WhiskeyTango

WhiskeyTango New Member

Sep 20, 2006
    New Jersey
    The one that aired last night. It was mentioned in the promos leading up to this episode that it was the last American Chopper ever.