Amazon VOD Purchase causes Elite to Reboot

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by PrimeRisk, Oct 22, 2011.

1. PrimeRisk

PrimeRisk TechnoGeek

Dec 16, 2002
    Denver, CO...
    When purchasing a show from Amazon VOD, my Elite will consistently reboot. After selecting a show and entering the PIN you will get the disclaimer screen asking you to push the Thumbs Up key to continue browsing. In a few seconds the screen will go black, all of the lights will go out on the front panel, and the reboot begins. :mad: If I press the TiVo button instead, all is normal and you return to the menu.

I've now done this 4x and the results are always the same. Of note, once the Elite reboots it will successfully download the show from Amazon.

Anyone else seeing this behavior?

If you want to give it a shot, you can look for "Grimm", the pilot episode of "Whitney" or "Prime Suspect", or a sneak peak of "The Walking Dead". All are free downloads from Amazon to try.

2. djwilso

djwilso Member

Dec 23, 2006
    Phoenix, AZ
    I just tried it on my Elite to see what would happen. It did not reboot for me.

I selected "Prime Suspect [HD]". I pressed Thumbs Up to continue browsing, and it took me back to the list of free shows & bonus content.

The download started up almost right away. I'll keep a watch and see if it decides to reboot later.

I haven't had any random reboots in several days now, and I hope it keeps up.

3. garys

garys New Member

Feb 1, 2002
    Mine rebooted. Plus it refuses to allow me to download videos from Amazon. It tells me that I need to authorize my Tivo account (the account is already authorized) then it reboots. The "Tivo Elite" should have been named the "Tivo Alpha", since the software feels a lot more like an alpha release than anything else.

4. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...

Yes, I posted this the other day in the Initial Impressions thread.. I only ran into this issue when using the TiVo search. Since after purchasing, it should go back to the HDUI screen and there should not even be a browse button since you were never browsing to begin with.

If I go to Amazon VOD and purchase a title from the titles listed, I did not have the rebooting issue when I hit the browse button after purchase. It would go back to the screen with the Amazon VOD lists.

Here is what I posted in the other thread.

5. PrimeRisk

PrimeRisk TechnoGeek

Dec 16, 2002
    Denver, CO...
    aaronwt,
    Yes, this is the exact behavior. I must have missed your post in the other thread.

6. garys

garys New Member

Feb 1, 2002
    My series 3 will often reboot if I download from amazon and, before the download completes, I stream Netflix. Wonder if this is a related bug. My elite rebooted with nothing more than a request to amazon, but both behaviors point to an error in the way TiVo handles amazon streamed content. Buffer overflow maybe? If so, a potential security hole (or jailbreak opportunity?).

7. jfh3

jfh3 Active Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area
    Sorry, I forgot to put this in the known problems list. Done now.

8. PrimeRisk

PrimeRisk TechnoGeek

Dec 16, 2002
    Denver, CO...
    Thanks!

9. Nov 2, 2011 #9 of 10
    Vypr04

Vypr04 New Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Same rebooting problem here. Whenever I purchase something from Amazon VOD, enter my PIN, and hit the Thumbs Up button, my Elite reboots. Super frustrating especially when it causes the show I'm recording to stop. Hopefully TiVo figures this out.

10. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    I only have an issue with mine if I do it from TiVo Search. Then after purchasing and I select the "continue to browse" option, it will reboot.

But If I go into Amazon VOD and select a title, after purchase I can select thumbs Up and it is fine for me.