Amazon video higher quality on my TV than on Tivo!

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by nycaudioman, Mar 16, 2015.

1. nycaudioman

nycaudioman New Member

Mar 16, 2015

Advertisements

Hello, I have two devices on which I can stream Amazon video. One is my Samsung TV. The other is my Tivo Roamio.

I notice that on the TV (through the built-in app), the video initially comes on at a lower resolution and then 15-20 seconds later "clicks" into a very high resolution.

To the contrary, on my Tivo, the video very quickly goes right to the highest resolution it can stream, but that resolution is not as high as where the Samsung TV eventually clicks into.

The Tivo is hardwired and the Samsung is wireless, so you would think the Tivo would have a higher quality resolution!

Has anyone else noticed this or have any ideas?

2. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Do you have a 4K TV?

3. nycaudioman

nycaudioman New Member

Mar 16, 2015
    Thanks for the quick reply. Yes, I do have a 4k TV (Samsung HU8550). The Samsung app is obviously built-into the TV, and the Tivo is connected via HDMI through a Yamaha soundbar.

4. tarheelblue32

tarheelblue32 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2014
    Raleigh, NC
    Well that's the reason.

5. nycaudioman

nycaudioman New Member

Mar 16, 2015

Advertisements

Sorry for the dumb question, but how is that the reason? Wouldn't both be upscaled to 4k, whether it's from the internal app or a Tivo / Apple TV, etc. connected via HDMI?

6. Dixon Butz

Dixon Butz Member

Mar 27, 2003
    I have an 8550. Amazon looks just as good on my Tivo as the TV's app. Looks the same.
    No difference with Neflix either
    Except for 4K streams. Which the Tivo cant do.