Amazon Unbox TiVo Downloads - Has anyone tried it??

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by mchiles, Jul 25, 2007.

1. mchiles

mchiles Member

Jul 13, 2007

Advertisements

How is the picture quality??

I assume it is Standard Def 4:3 and not Hi-Def widescreen.

So, it might be a waste of hard drive to download to an S3 or HD??

But, might be good for downloading and viewing with a S2??

mchiles

2. tewcewl

tewcewl New Member

Dec 18, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Have you searched any of the threads here? There's a lot of user comments on the Unbox.

3. Darthnice

Darthnice umop ap!sdn

Apr 29, 2002
    I have, and I think the video quality is awful, even for things originally produced for TV.

Amazon does a very poor job transcoding. Stuff I have ripped from DVD looks much better.

Those that say that it looks as-good-or-better-than Best quality must not be sensitive to frame studders. I am, and I hate it.

4. aaronw

aaronw Member

Apr 13, 2001
    Washington, DC
    It works for me for rentals of bad movies (which is all I'm going to use my free credit for).

5. HomeUser

HomeUser Active Member

Jan 12, 2003
    A2 Michigan

Advertisements

While the quality is not HD, I have purchased DVD's that are of much poorer quality. I Never noticed any "frame studders". So far I have downloaded and watched 2 movie rentals and a missed TV episode.

6. Scopeman

Scopeman 2 x Basic Roamio

Oct 22, 2002
    Central Texas
    The $0.99 movie specials can be compelling, regardless of the quality, for some purposes (like for the wife who can't tell HD from SD and the kids who destroy DVDs).

7. HomeUser

HomeUser Active Member

Jan 12, 2003
    A2 Michigan
    It is really great for missing TV shows too. The last episode TiVo had recorded of 24 season 2 had been delayed by a Football game and of course I did not discover that until the last day of a 3 weekend viewing marathon, Amazon Unbox saved the day :)

8. HDTiVo

HDTiVo Not so Senior Member

Nov 27, 2002
    No, no one has ever tried it.

9. Darthnice

Darthnice umop ap!sdn

Apr 29, 2002

The stuttering (which seems to be related to poor choice in pulldown method or output framerate) is most visible to me in scenes with high contrast and smooth camera pans, though I can see it almost all the time.

It is for a similar reason that I can't deal with DLP displays; My eyes see the rainbows :( and it looks jerky.

10. yunlin12

yunlin12 Tivonation Citizen

Mar 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA
    I downloaded 5-6 movies using the 99 cents special. The movies are widescreen with black letterbox on top and bottom, so you can use the S3's zoom mode to put it on a 16:9 TV. They are about equal to the best VCR quality, not DVD quality, but for 99 cents and the convenience, can't beat it. I canceled my blockbuster account because of it.

Edit: not really noticing any stuttering.

11. bmgoodman

bmgoodman Member

Dec 20, 2000
    Northern...
    I think they're worth 99 cents, especially for movies with lots of dialog and little action. When objects on the screen move quickly, the entire screen looks like double or triple vision, or just blurry. Even my wife, who would be fine watching a TV that only has rabbit ears, asked me (unprompted) about the blurriness in "The Pursuit of Happyness".

If the Unbox movies that one purchases are the same quality as the rentals, I would NEVER EVER purchase one.

12. HDTiVo

HDTiVo Not so Senior Member

Nov 27, 2002
    I think they are worth $.79; anamorphic is worth $.99; Anamorphic with DD 5.1 is worth $1.19; HD is worth $1.79

:eek: