Amazon Unbox TiVo Deal - Series 2 DT + Wireless for $84.99

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by jaybird13, Sep 26, 2007.

1. jaybird13

jaybird13 New Member

Nov 6, 2005

Advertisements

http://dynamic.tivo.com/movieoffer.html

I'm really wanting to pull the trigger on this deal. When I add it to my cart and log in, it says "(Eligible for MSD)", but I'm afraid they won't honor that since this is a "package deal" and MSD usually doesn't apply to those.

Has anyone pulled the trigger on this deal and gotten the MSD price?

2. fredct

fredct Member

Nov 15, 2004
    NJ
    When I click on 'offer details' next to monthly plans I see '*not* eligible for multi-service discount'. Did they just change it or are you looking elsewhere?

3. jaybird13

jaybird13 New Member

Nov 6, 2005
    When I add it to my cart and log in it says:

"TiVo Package, 80-hour TiVo Series2™ DT DVR - Dual Tuner and Factory Renewed TiVo Wireless Adapter, w/3-year commitment ($12.95/mo) (Eligible for MSD) Free Ground Shipping"

But that disclaimer you found pretty much seals it. It's still not a horrible buy if you pre-pay for 3 years. The price difference between that and MSD is the price of the wireless adapter ($299 vs. $250.20).

4. DocChaos

DocChaos Member

Sep 3, 2002
    Moline, IL
    Well, I just jumped on this deal.
    I don't have a HDTV, and I really don't plan on getting one until I have to.

I use cable, don't have digital cable, and according to the FCC ruling, cable providers must support analog TV's until 2012. So, I still have a few years left before any of this will affect me too much. I love the Series3 and TiVoHD, but don't need them yet. I signed on with the 3 year contract, at $6.95 a month (MSD), so come Sept. 2010, I might think about changing over.

5. bigmikemn

bigmikemn New Member

Jul 27, 2005
    Minneapolis, MN

Advertisements

I just jumped on this as well. I am switching from DirecTV to Comcast. I needed 2 boxes, but only 1 Wireless adapter, so I found this deal as well:

http://www.tivo.com/promo/specialmarkets.html
    $50 for S2 DT

I was able to add both to my cart and check out! I should have my TiVo's on Monday :)

6. jaybird13

jaybird13 New Member

Nov 6, 2005
    I already have 4 TiVos and called and was able to get MSD on the deal. Not sure I'd recommend doing it online, but definitely worth a call.

7. RS4

RS4 New Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Indianapolis...
    I currently have HD and DirecTV HR10-250. I am thinking about leaving DirecTV, because they appear to not be doing anything more with Tivo. In addition, we used to get Netflix, but found so many of the dvd's bad - even after wiping them off, that we finally quit their service.

So, I'm looking for a cheap alternative to getting movies along with possibly hooking up to my basic Comcast that is used for broadband. I also have an antenna for OTA that I currently use with my HR10-250, but have some problems with it.

I'm wondering if I should go with this offer or get the Tivo HD box instead. I'm guessing the Tivo HD box would cost around $540 with a one-year pre-paid. The advantage would be HD OTA. Is the OTA any better on the HD Tivo vs the HR10-250? It looks like this offer would cost around $230 for a pre-paid one year.
    Would I have to get anything else. I think I have a cat 5 cable running from the LR to the office, but could always use wireless usb if I had to.

Thanks

8. rbreding

rbreding TiVo Nutjob

Dec 12, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    Doubtfull, HDTV is digital, the signal is either there or it is not. That being said the signal is MPEG2. Your variable is going to be the TV.

EDIT: After I thought about it I remember the OTA tuner in t he HR10-250 not being up to par, being able to pull in weaker signals or multipath. So if you can get all your stations with the HR10-250, then.....no difference.

9. BurnBaby

BurnBaby Member

Sep 20, 2007
  10. rbreding

rbreding TiVo Nutjob

Dec 12, 2004
    Oklahoma City

MSD = Multi Service Discount

If you are a new customer then there isn't any discount becuase there isn't any multi service...get it ?

11. BurnBaby

BurnBaby Member

Sep 20, 2007
    I might not have been clear, what I meant was if I get the Amazon Unbox deal now and then later get another unit, would I be eligible to get MSD then? Or does purchasing a prepaid contract make you ineligible for MSD later on? I didn't know if it was something TIVO had stopped offering for new customers.

That's what I meant, I hope that's clearer. I'm looking at all this stuff for the first time...

Edit: After reading thru it a couple more times, I think I figured it out now thanks. :)

12. bengalfreak

bengalfreak Active Member

Oct 20, 2002

A little off topic here, but if you were having that much trouble with netFlix DVD's, you should check your player hardware. In a year and a half of having this service, I have come across only a single DVD that wouldn't play and it was actually broken in half when I received it.

13. fredct

fredct Member

Nov 15, 2004
    NJ

As far as I know, you're only ineligible for that particular box purchased on the special deal, not any later boxes (so long as they aren't purchased under a special as well).

14. everyone006

everyone006 New Member

Oct 4, 2007
    Well, I just jumped on this deal.
    I don't have a HDTV, and I really don't plan on getting one until I have to.

I use cable, don't have digital cable, and according to the FCC ruling, cable providers must support analog TV's until 2012. So, I still have a few years left before any of this will affect me too much. I love the Series3 and TiVoHD, but don't need them yet. I signed on with the 3 year contract, at $6.95 a month (MSD), so come Sept. 2010, I might think about changing over.