Amazon Unbox Pricing

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by jimdoo, Jul 12, 2007.

1. jimdoo

jimdoo New Member

Dec 20, 2004
    WNY

Advertisements

I really like the convenience of this service and do take advantage of the .99 weekend special - even the 2.99, 3.99 rental prices aren't bad - Is $14.99 a bit much for a title (Hitch) from '05?

2. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    That is probably the "purchase" price, rather than rental.

3. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Yeah some movies aren't available to "rent", so your only choice is the "buy" for a much higher price. With a "buy" there is no 30 day limit, and no 24 hour watch period, and you can redownload the movie to your TiVo or PC at any time.

Dan

4. jimdoo

jimdoo New Member

Dec 20, 2004
    WNY
    Yes - I know that some titles are for purchase only -I guess my point was that -given the age of the movie in question (not being a new release) that $14.99 is not competitively priced - Convenient? Yes by all means - but not cheap!

5. MickeS

MickeS Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2002

Advertisements

I agree with you. The purchase prices for movies are ridiculous. However, they seem to be in line with the equally ridiculous movie purchase prices at iTunes.

6. Flyinace2000

Flyinace2000 Member

Aug 2, 2005
    What would be a fair price?

$7 download any time (current rights)
    $12-15 download anytime + burn to disc

I would buy that.

7. ericr74

ericr74 Member

Apr 16, 2001
    Broomfield,...
    The other issue I have is with picture quality of the downloads. I've rented two movies, and the picture quality was not that great (especially when there was movement). I suppose this is due to file size (about 1.8G as compared to around 7G for a normal DVD).

Why spend about the same amount as you would spend on a DVD movie rental or purchase to download a lower-quality rental/purchase? I guess for me the convenience is not a big enough advantage to overcome the disadvantage.

8. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I would never "buy" a movie from Unbox. The prices are too high, and the quality too low. However I use it all the time for rentals. The quality is OK for a one time watch, and you can't beat the convenience.

Dan

9. IJustLikeTivo

IJustLikeTivo Active Member

Oct 3, 2001
    Gaithersburg...
    I use the rent feature from time to time. I like being able to rent from the office and have the video there when I get home. I can't get this to work from the Tivo at all though. It keeps asking for a PIN I never set up and if I try to change it, it tells me the box is already associated with an Amazon account. Duh, I know that but how do I fix the freaking PIN? There's no place to fix that on either Amazon or the Tivo web site so I'm stuck and I have no idea who to call about it.

10. Soapm

Soapm Active Member

May 9, 2007
    Aurora, CO
    I bought one movie. Not worth $15 IMO and I can't figure out what to do with the movie once I view it. Renting for $00.99 is a fairly good deal and one I use from time to time. I've never rented at the $4 price.

11. jimdoo

jimdoo New Member

Dec 20, 2004
    WNY
    $1.99 for an old episode of Welcome back Kotter??? - How about .50? (If that)
    However I got the Pilot episode of Jericho for free! Where's the logic here??

12. MarkSFCA

MarkSFCA Member

Oct 18, 2004
    San...
    I got an e-mail from Amazon that had a link in it to take you to the page to add your PIN.