Amazon: Tales from the Loop

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by tomhorsley, Apr 4, 2020.

1. Apr 4, 2020 #1 of 27
    tomhorsley

tomhorsley Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2010
    Randomly search for something to watch while on the treadmill, I noticed Amazon pushing their new series "Tales from the Loop". I watched the first half of the first episode and didn't turn if off in disgust. I'm even planning on watching the second half when I get back on the treadmill. High praise compared to most stuff I start (but never finish) on Amazon.

2. Apr 4, 2020 #2 of 27
    Allanon

Allanon Active Member

Nov 2, 2005
    I saw the first episode and will continue, seems like The Twilight Zone, Amazing Stories, or The Outer Limits type of show.

3. Apr 4, 2020 #3 of 27
    tomhorsley

Jul 22, 2010
    Yep, I just finished the first episode, and plan to watch the rest as well.

4. Apr 5, 2020 #4 of 27
    wprager

wprager Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Ottawa, Canada
    Interesting, if a little slow (only watched the first two, I assume things will pick up a bit). I'm glad they didn't stretch out the two of them to figure things out (are spoilers allowed?)

5. pteronaut

pteronaut Killer of Threads

Dec 26, 2009
    Indiana
    Only just watched the first episode, and agree it is on the slow side, but it has a vibe of being a dark version of 'Eureka' about it.

6. May 2, 2020 #6 of 27
    wprager

Feb 19, 2006
    Ottawa, Canada
    5 episodes in and the pace hasn't changed. E03 was depressing. E04 seemed unnecessary (this show borders on anthology and this episode was about as standalone as something from Black Mirror; I prefer more continuity and an overall arc).

7. May 2, 2020 #7 of 27
    tomhorsley

Jul 22, 2010
    I got to episode 2 and the "plot advancing only because people to stupid things" trope got to me, and I stopped watching.

8. May 2, 2020 #8 of 27
    wprager

Feb 19, 2006
    Ottawa, Canada
    Advanced tech just lying around, seemingly discarded, for anyone to stumble across and cause potentially irreparable harm is not how I would imagine a place like The Loop would operate. The "Freaky Friday" device was only dismantled after a kid swapped good consciousness with a be nearby robot, this rendering himself comatose.

P. S. Was that the same robot that Tim from Life in Pieces later bought? His son is comatose kid.

9. May 2, 2020 #9 of 27
    wprager

Feb 19, 2006
    Ottawa, Canada
    Episode 6 we find a trans-dimensional "tractor" abandoned in the middle of a field. It's SciFi, so I don't mind the fact that such tech exists, but wouldn't you keep tighter security?

Last edited: May 3, 2020
  10. Family

Family Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2001
    I made it through to the end and sort of enjoyed it.

It had slow moments for sure.

Rob Helmerichs likes this.
  11. wprager

Feb 19, 2006
    Ottawa, Canada
    Made it to the end. In E7 the closed captions named the main character as "George" so I figured out pretty early this was a back story and love what to expect. But were there other clues that this was a back story and the boy was George? I don't think anyone calls him by name until half way through.

P.S. what kind of weird water snake lives in the sea, is venomous, and attacks for no reason?

12. wprager

Feb 19, 2006
    Ottawa, Canada
    Watching E08. Story *finally* moving a bit. So the Jakob robot is not the same one that Danny's father bought.

13. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    One interesting thing about this show is that the book it is adapted from is a collection of sci-fi paintings. So they literally started with the look of the show, and then added things like characters, plot, etc.

Family likes this.
  14. wprager

Feb 19, 2006
    Ottawa, Canada
    Season finale was much better. I was thinking that Cole was a robot as well but his mom's explanation about crossing the stream while it was thawed, guess that is just some sure if time travel/ gap. The teacher's reveal was not necessary; just what she said would have been enough. Otherwise great directing by Jodie Foster.

15. wprager

Feb 19, 2006
    Ottawa, Canada
    So Cole ends up marrying Danny/Jacob's daughter. Ok. I think the story is complete. If there is a S2 I'm guessing a completely new at of characters.

Episodes 1, 2, 7 and 8 I enjoyed. The rest, not so much.

16. ej42137

ej42137 Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2014
    Los Angeles
    All snakes that live in the sea (called "sea snakes" for some unknown reason) are highly venomous. And all TV snakes will attack for no reason; if you see a snake in a movie or TV, without fail it's going to bite someone (see Chekhov's snake for further details).

Real sea snakes only bite people when stepped upon or picked up.

17. trainman

trainman Nice to see you

Jan 29, 2001
    Sherman...
    I enjoy sci-fi... and I enjoy the 1980s... but this series kind of left me cold. I was a little unclear on what the "rules" were with regard to how the various technologies could be used. (Yes, I realize that some of the characters had the same problem!)

18. wprager

Feb 19, 2006
    Ottawa, Canada
    The fact that various tech was just left "lying around" was extremely unlikely for that kind of research facility.

19. Hoffer

Hoffer Eat Lightning ----- Poo Thunder TCF Club

Jun 1, 2001
    Twin Cities, MN
    I watched the first episode of this show and had no clue what it was about. Maybe I wasn't paying close enough attention. I don't see watching any more of it.

20. JohnS-MI

JohnS-MI Active Member

Jan 25, 2014
    SE MI
    I've watched 5 and I'm ready to give up. Is there anything in the last three to make it interesting?