Amazon Prime Video Profiles

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by mdavej, Jul 8, 2020.

1. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015

Advertisements

Amazon just rolled out a new profiles feature. Finally, like Hulu, Netflix, Youtube TV and others, Prime now has up to 6 individual profiles with parental controls. Working great so far, but I already found a bug related to not being able to re-use names of deleted profiles.

Are Tivo users seeing this feature in the Tivo version of the Prime Video app? I know the Tivo Hulu app still doesn't have profiles even though the feature has been around for a few years now.

Noelmel and trip1eX like this.
  2. trip1eX

trip1eX imo, afaik, feels like to me, *exceptions, ~aprox

Apr 2, 2005
    Prime Profiles are very welcome. BUt don't see it on ATV yet.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2020
    Noelmel likes this.
  3. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    They're on the web page as well, if you want to get an early start.

Noelmel likes this.
  4. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    Amazon support actually came through with a workaround for the bug in post 1:

Bug: If you rename the Kids profile, then delete it, you can't create a new profile with that name. For example, rename Kids to Frank and delete the profile. A new Frank profile can't be created.

Workaround: Create a new profile Frank, check the Kids box and Save. This is allowed. Now edit and rename Frank to Earnest. Now you are allowed to create a new profile named Frank. Delete Earnest if you want.

Sounds to me like the built in Kids profile is never really deleted. So even if you rename and delete, it's still there, hidden, but with that new name. So it won't let you create a new profile with that name. Creating a new Kids profile with the old name is essentially restoring and un-hiding it. At that point you can rename it and free up that old name to use on another profile.

Very complicated and weird scenario, I know. But one that I immediately got myself into and couldn't get out of before.

Long story short, leave the default Kids profile alone and just add new ones as desired.

5. tim_m

tim_m Active Member

Mar 8, 2017

Advertisements

I'm not sure they will ever be on the TiVo app since it isn't a modern app. The profiles feature isn't even on Rokus yet either. It is on mobile, web, amazon fire devices and living room devices such as PS4.

tim1724 and Noelmel like this.
  6. MScottC

MScottC Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2004
    It just showed up on my LG TV.