Amazon Prime & Tivo HD-TOTALLY CONFUSED

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by ciscokid, Oct 12, 2011.

1. ciscokid

ciscokid Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Tampadelphia...
    I just got a trial of Amazon Prime. I DO have my Tivo account and my Amazon Account linked properly and have one click purchasing enabled.

When I go to Video on Demand/Instant Video on my HD Tivo Box I get to the Amazon Section and can see all of the videos that they offer but I can't see what videos are offered to me for FREE as a Prime member.

I called Amazon support and they told me that Amazon Prime is not accessible through Tivo. and that I would need to access it through another compatible device, such as Roku

Seems that I have been led to believe that this was available.on the Tivo boxes.

Is this correct, or am I doing something stupid here?

Thanks for the help!

2. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    Amazon Instant (i.e., streaming) Video isn't available for TiVo's. The rest of their videos are available but only by downloading -- then viewing. All their free prime videos are of the instant type (it's called "Instant Prime"), so prime buys you nothing for a TiVo.

The info available and the way Amazon presents these things on their site is confusing IMHO.

EDIT: Just to illustrate how confusing, a lot of what I say above is incorrect. Amazon calls ALL their downloadable/streamable videos "Instant Video". The two basic facts however are:
    1. TiVo's cannot stream from Amazon, only download and view later.
    2. The free Prime Instant Videos are streaming only, thus not available for TiVo's.

3. ciscokid

ciscokid Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Tampadelphia...
    Well that clears it up. Looks like I gotta watch the stuff on my PC hooked up to my TV! Cheese you'd think Tivo would get the right software to allow this! :(

4. Chris Gerhard

Chris Gerhard Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2002
    AR
    I use a separate box, Logitech Revue, for Amazon Prime Instant Video and don't think there is anything confusing about it although I do wish TiVo could get Amazon Prime Instant Video. I don't think it will happen but I can hope it will.

5. ciscokid

ciscokid Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Tampadelphia...
    I don't think that it is confusing either, now that I understand it!

Thanks to dlfl !!!

6. lillevig

lillevig Cold in East Iowa

Dec 6, 2010
    Marion, Iowa
    And if you think that is swell, then you'll love the fact that you can sign up for Hulu Plus and access it through your Premiere but you can't get the free Hulu stuff through it.

7. ciscokid

ciscokid Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Tampadelphia...
    Peachy! But no more money to watch a bunch of junk when there's better stuff out there for free!

8. turbobuick86

turbobuick86 Member

May 2, 2002
    The good news is TiVo is still the best DVR available. The bad news is TiVo nearly fails in every other catagory.

If I didn't already own 4 or 5 different ways to stream content, I would be unhappy. The world is quickly becoming a streaming-only society and TiVo will be left in the dust unless they wake up.