Amazon Prime through the Tivo interent?

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by tooalto, Nov 13, 2014.

1. tooalto

tooalto New Member

Apr 19, 2008

Advertisements

We just got our Roamio base version. We are Amazon Prime subscribers and I use the music on my tablet. Can we stream the video to our Roamio just by using the Tivo wifi or must we connect to our home internet (high speed DSL)?

2. mikeyts

mikeyts Stream Warrior

Jul 10, 2004
    San Diego,...
    Yes, you can stream Amazon to your Roamio (once you get the 20.4.5 update) through WiFi. The quality level that you get will depend upon how much bandwidth your TiVo gets over WiFi. You need about 3.5 Mbps for 720p quality and 10 Mbps (and maybe some headroom, like 20%) for 1080p. (I'm not sure about the SD video bit rate range). EDIT: A probably out of date Amazon Support article says that you need 900 Kbps for SD.

3. 59er

59er TiVotee

Mar 27, 2008
    New York, NY
    You can't stream Amazon Prime videos through the Roamio until you get the app on your Roamio -- which appears up to a day or two after the software updates.

4. juliandracos

juliandracos New Member

Oct 11, 2014
    How do you get the App? That one that came with my system only has the instant video.

5. ej42137

ej42137 Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2014
    Los Angeles

Advertisements

You need release 20.4.5. You might still be able to get it by requesting it at the early release site http://tivo.com/priority or you could just wait about a month while it gets rolled out to everyone with a Roamio.

A day or two after you get release 20.4.5, the app becomes available.

6. juliandracos

juliandracos New Member

Oct 11, 2014
    Thanks.

Is there links to the patch notes for Tivo updates? I have been searching and I cannot find anything. I am really interested in keeping up with what is going to be changed. I was worried that I should have gotten Roku, but these changes to Tivo and making me more comfortable with my decision.

7. mikeyts

mikeyts Stream Warrior

Jul 10, 2004
    San Diego,...
  8. Darkon

Darkon New Member

Sep 17, 2007
    I filled out the priority request a couple of days ago, but am still waiting for the update. Oh well, either way it shouldn't be too much longer of a wait.

9. mike3775

mike3775 Active Member

Jan 3, 2003
    Indiana
    I inputted my request on the 7th and had the update on the 10th. I also forced connected twice a day as well, and knew I got it when it installed and said reboot required on the Roamio

10. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Every Roamio will get updated to 20.4.5 by the end of the month. Amazon Prime should show up a few hours later. I stream Prime just fine on my wireless.

It may still take at least a week to update on www.tivo.com/priority_20.4.5