Amazon Prime and Tivo Series3

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by bcox24, Aug 24, 2011.

1. bcox24

bcox24 New Member

Jul 9, 2008
    I paid for an Amazon Prime membership and also have a Tivo Series3. When I browse the Amazon Instant Videos and choose a movie that is free for me to watch on my computer, the Tivo still says I need to "rent" the move for $2.99 or $3.99.

I can stream/download videos to my Tivo for free because of my Amazon Prime membership, right? What am I missing?

Thanks for any help,
    Bryan

2. dwit

dwit Active Member

May 4, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    It's been a while since I've used it, but have you linked your Tivo unit to your Amazon acct? Don't remember the details or if they are different for regular and Prime accounts.

Finally, the Prime service may be only for the Premiere.

Should be a thread about it in the "Coffee House forum:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=463760

3. bp888

bp888 New Member

Sep 28, 2004
    Only a small subset of Amazon's VOD movies and TV shows is available for free to Prime members. These are mostly older movies, TV shows on reruns, etc.

And as you discovered, it is NOT FREE to stream these Prime videos to your TV through TiVo, but it is free to stream these to your computer. Very confusing, I know.

4. teasip

teasip Member

Aug 24, 2002
    Amazon Prime Free Instant VOD isn't available on TiVoHD or the OLED series three. You have to hunt around to find the statement but it has been there. I purchased a new bedroom Vizio over the weekend to replace the hijacked, went to college with daughter, set and it allows for the free instant viewing.

5. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    This is the correct answer, but just for reference free streaming from Amazon Prime isn't available on the Premiere either.

Good Luck,

6. bp888

bp888 New Member

Sep 28, 2004
    Deleted.

7. Ilikepie

Ilikepie New Member

Aug 23, 2011
    Yeah, unfortunately, there's an asterisk statement on the Amazon prime video page which states that Amazon prime streaming is not yet available for TiVo devices. Not sure whether that indicates that it will be availabe in the future, or whether it will go the way of the much touted DirectTV/Comcast TiVo partnerships......

8. djwilso

djwilso Member

Dec 23, 2006
    Phoenix, AZ
    Probably the best immediate solution is to get a Roku box as TiVo does not support Amazon Prime streaming.

It works beautifully on the Roku.

9. mmcgown

mmcgown New Member

Feb 7, 2002
    Austin TX
    Since I recently ran into this, I'll share what I wrote to Amazon and their answer.

I guess I had a misunderstanding about Prime membership. When I signed up, I thought I would have access to the Prime Instant Videos on either my Samsung Blu-Ray or my TiVo, but now I have finally read on your site that you don't stream to TiVos or Samsung players. Do you have any plans to begin streaming to these machines? Please be candid. If you're never going to do it, then perhaps I want to either buy a Roku or discontinue my membership. Try not to be vague.​

---------------

Amazon replies: I understand your concern and I'm sorry for any disappointment caused.

Currently, Prime instant videos are only available for streaming and cannot be downloaded to a TiVo box or the Unbox Player. With an Amazon Prime membership, you can stream Prime instant videos on your Mac, PC and nearly 200 models of Internet-connected TVs, Blu-ray players and set-top-boxes. I've also checked and see that the Samsung Blu-ray player is not compatible with Amazon Instant Video. We're regularly working on improvements to your Amazon instant Video experience.

Customer feedback like yours is very important in helping us continue to improve the experience of watching our digital videos. So, I've let the Amazon Instant Video team know that you are interested in watching the videos on TiVo and Samsung Blu-ray player. Unfortunately, I don't have information about the time when this Instant video feature will be available for streaming on on TiVo and Samsung Blu-ray players. .... I f you would like cancel your Amazon Prime membership and receive a refund of the membership fee, you can do so. To cancel your membership, please visit the membership cancellation page: www.amazon.com/gp/subs/primeclub/account/homepage.html

---------------

Since they were vague, I bought a Roku from not-Amazon; but I bought last year's model because it has an optical audio-out.

10. ashu

ashu User title defunct

Nov 8, 2002
    MD
    Darn it! I renewed my student Prime ($40) and was assuming I'd be able to sue the S3.

I assume the PS3 is still supported, however?

11. larrs

larrs Movie Fan-Addict

May 2, 2005
    DFW
    Why would they give it to you if you plan to sue them?

:D

12. Chris Gerhard

Chris Gerhard Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2002
    AR
    I have Amazon Prime and a TiVo also, it was easy to understand the TiVo was not supported. I wrote Amazon when this new service was announced to ask if TiVo would be added and the answer was non-specific as to if or when the TiVo would be added to qualifying boxes. It is OK to want it on the TiVo but to blame Amazon for inability to understand is unfair in my opinion. I took about a minute to read the supported devices and knew the truth. I have a qualifying box now, Google TV, and laptop and have used it some and think it is a nice service but without use for the shipping discounts, I wouldn't buy Amazon Prime for just this service.

Amazon does still offer the pay and download rentals to TiVo which I like better and do purchase once in a while when a sale price is attractive to me.