Amazon on TivoHD

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by dpfels, Sep 28, 2007.

1. dpfels

dpfels New Member

Sep 14, 2007

Advertisements

Hi,
    I know that Amazon unbox doesn't have any HD content. However, I am wondering if it is possible to push the 16:9 version of the SD files from Amazon for playing on a TivoHD.
    It appears to default to the Tivo format which is 1.33:1. All of the Amazon movies also come in wide screen for playing on a PC. I would prefer that on the Tivo.
    Is there a work-around?
    Thanks,
    Dan

2. TiivoDog

TiivoDog FIOS Fast!!!

Feb 14, 2007
    Central PA
    Not that I am aware and this issue has been heavily beat since the day Amazon Unbox was released as I was one of many at that time. Also, I was verbally told the "engineers" were in fact feverishly working on the process/files to present them to the Tivo units in a larger format and that would be out soon. Thank the Lord I was not holding my breath as I would have been dead a long time ago....

Anyways, I wound up buy an Apple TV in addition to my 7 Tivo units in order to download much higher quality movies/shows and Video Podcasts as Tivo and its partners have yet to deliver a quality product.

3. aztivo

aztivo Member

Feb 23, 2005
    AZ
    [QUOTE
    Anyways, I wound up buy an Apple TV in addition to my 7 Tivo units in order to download much higher quality movies/shows and Video Podcasts as Tivo and its partners have yet to deliver a quality product.[/QUOTE]

How is an apple TV higher quality... They do not do HD either as far as I know they only offer 480i

4. drew00001

drew00001 New Member

Jan 13, 2007
    :confused: I thought X-box 360 was the only one that offered HD currently, but all (apply, Tivo, Xbox) seem to have the capability.

5. djstix

djstix New Member

Aug 29, 2007
    NYC and...

Advertisements

Correct - i have the XBox360 and can confirm it is the only HD download option right now - albeit limited to 720p. However the xbox SD downloads are 16:9 and 480p so easily beats Amazon unbox. Dont have Apple TV so cant comment. :cool:

6. dpfels

dpfels New Member

Sep 14, 2007
    I think my original question was limited to non HD movies, since I know that Amazon doesn't offer them.

I was simply interested in getting a 16:9 image that wasn't terribly pixelated. In the end, I zoomed the image using the aspect ratio settings on my TV. Having done this in the past with Time-Warner movies on demand, I didn't expect much. However, there are clearly enough data in the Amazon files to allow this with a fairly decent image-about as good as a regular DVD. Given the fact that the Tivo files on Amazon are all larger than the ones intended for download to a PC, I think they are using a reasonable compression ratio.

If they could get around to HD, that would be much better, obviously. However, I find my solution perfectly acceptable for now.

7. TiivoDog

TiivoDog FIOS Fast!!!

Feb 14, 2007
    Central PA
    Apple TV per the URL below supports the following video formats and movie downloads from iTunes are near DVD quality at 640 x 480 per the 2nd URL

Enhanced-definition or high-definition widescreen TVs capable of
    - 1080i 60/50Hz
    - 720p 60/50Hz
    - 576p 50Hz (PAL format)
    - 480p 60Hz

http://www.apple.com/appletv/specs.html

http://www.apple.com/itunes/store/movies.html

Lastly, I am not an Apple fan - in fact I despise BJobs for much of what he is doing, specifically regarding his cult like reasoning for not implementing Bluetooth (Stereo with A2DP / AVRCP) into his products. For those taking notice, it is his underground mind controlling way to force people to use wires, so everyone thinks of iPod / iTouch / Apple, when seeing white wires hanging from ones head.....

Anyways, the Apple TV clearly filled the void, which Tivo was unable and for the record, it was related to:

- Quality Downloads (Near DVD Quality with 16 X 9 Aspect Ratio)

- Video Podcasts (Both SD & HD Formats) and not locked into those on TivoCast

8. colin1497

colin1497 New Member

Nov 20, 2006
    What they need on 16x9 content is to make an anamorphic option. This isn't rocket science. They also need HD as an option. I would actually rent stuff if there was good content.