Amazon lightning deal: $49.99 for a new Tivo Premiere!

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by comma splice, Apr 20, 2011.

1. comma splice

comma splice Member

Feb 4, 2010

Advertisements

Hey folks, new TiVo Premieres are going for $49.99 on Amazon right now as part of their Lightning Deals.

The deal will expire at 1 p.m. Eastern Time today (Wednesday, April 20), or when they sell out.

Link here

UPDATE: I guess I should've pointed this out earlier, but as with all TiVo Premieres being sold by Amazon.com, this one requires the $19.99/month plan.

2. slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    In the ATL
    Great deal for a spare parts box, not so much for the required monthly sub which appears WAY down the page at Amazon and is easily missed by the unaware. Oh well, at least we'll get some more good deals on woot refurbs this way.

3. stiffi

stiffi New Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Charm City
    Uh-oh, what required sub? Just bought one in a panic because I thought it was expiring immediately.

4. SMWinnie

SMWinnie Dis Member

Aug 17, 2002
    Peninsulam...
    You need a TiVo subscription to use a TiVo. The Gold Box deal requires you to have a $20/month subscription for at least a year. You cannot subscribe the box with Product Lifetime Service ("PLS") or on a Multi-Service Discount ("MSD") plan.

So the Gold Box deal is $290 for a year and "who knows?" on day 366.

5. stiffi

stiffi New Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Charm City

Advertisements

Rats didn't see that. Still don't actually. Is it on the Amazon Page? Oh well, still better than the $99 deal Tivo itself was offering.

6. Impulse0022

Impulse0022 New Member

Aug 14, 2010
    Well you just burst my bubble. So there is no way to buy lifetime service? Even if you are already a loyal Tivo customer?

-Matt

7. ducker

ducker New Member

Feb 21, 2006
    MA
    Not with this offer.

8. comma splice

comma splice Member

Feb 4, 2010
    This is still a good deal in my opinion.

In the past, the TiVo Premiere retailed for $300 and then you could add Product Lifetime Service for $400 (less with multi-service discount or other deals).

But for now, let's just say that it was a $700 up-front cost and then no more payments for the life of the box.

With this deal, it's $50 up front and $20 a month for as long as you choose to keep the box/service.

By my calculations, that means it would take 32.5 months for the $700 TiVo Premiere with Lifetime to be a good deal. That's nearly three years.

By then, the "next best thing" will have come along anyway.

9. windsurfdog

windsurfdog Hoof Hearted?

May 1, 2009
    Yep...picked one up just for that reason. Thanks comma...

10. Jonathan_S

Jonathan_S Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2001
    Northern...
    Well, they might let you buy lifetime after you've gone through the year of $20/month. But that's hasn't been tested (because this plan hasn't existed for a year yet)

11. stiffi

stiffi New Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Charm City
    I was told by a CSR at Tivo that was an available deal last night, but I'd have to wait a year to test it out

12. alershka

alershka New Member

Apr 14, 2003
    Crap crap crap!

I scrolled half way down and saw that a subscription was required. I figured I was good to go with my MSD. I was going to retire my one Tivo HD and replace it with this one.

Damn, Amazon got this ready to ship fast, I can't even cancel it now. I will probably send it back to Amazon. I like the price but I'm not paying $20 / month. I could lease a Premiere from my cable company for that amount and not have to pay the $50 or my cable card rental fee.

13. JimboG

JimboG New Member

May 27, 2007
    San Diego, CA
    Yes, but what's your salvage value on this "$20 per month" TiVo?

One of the great things about Product Lifetime Service is that you can sell the box and recoup much of what you paid for the hardware and TiVo service. If I buy a Tivo Premiere on Woot for $50 and pay $300 for product lifetime service, but then get $250 or $300 on eBay in a couple years, my cost per month would only be two or four bucks per month. Ok, I'll spend that much in electricity to use the TiVo and my HDTV each month, so double the previous figure.

The resale option for a TiVo with product lifetime service is pretty sweet.:up:

14. rocko

rocko Cuckoo for TiVo

Oct 29, 2002
    Northeast...
    So you can still go the upgrade route - get a reduced price for the box or $200 off Lifetime.

15. jbell73

jbell73 Member

Oct 31, 2006
    How does TiVo know that this unit is only applicable for that offer? The TSN model number is the same (TCD746320), no different from earlier TiVo models sold (is it?). Or are they basing it just on the time frame that you are trying to activate it? What if you bought one a year ago, and just now tried to activate it, how does TiVo know that you aren't required to sign up for the $19.99/mo deal?

Are they really tracking serial numbers, and they assume any serial number past X is only able to be activated with the "screw you over" plan? What about vendors that make no mention of the 19.99/mo requirement? (

-J

16. stiffi

stiffi New Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Charm City
    I still don't see on the Amazon page where it says the subcription must be the 19.99 variety.

17. alershka

alershka New Member

Apr 14, 2003
    I went to the Tivo site and I can upgrade my Lifetime Series 2 (which is hooked up but not doing anything) for $260 +$199 for lifetime. Ultimately a better deal than the $50 + $240.

I searched up and down Amazon and other than the one person's comment on the page, there is no mention of the $19.99 / month requirement.

I guess I'm going to see what happens when the box arrives here on Friday. I am not going to open the box. I'm going to call Tivo right away once I have the TSN. If $19.99 is the only option, I will send it back to Amazon, citing the lack of information on their site.

18. rocko

rocko Cuckoo for TiVo

Oct 29, 2002
    Northeast...
    Good plan - to save money I believe you can actually just refuse delivery and ship it right back. You know it's gonna be 20 bucks a month - I'd check with Amazon to see if that's an acceptable way to "return" the item.

The good news about the upgrade route is upgrading a lifetime unit doesn't change the existing lifetime status. Your S2 will still have PLS.

19. innocentfreak

innocentfreak Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    They know because the $19.99 applies to any new TiVo Premiere sold at the subsidized $99 pricepoint or less. The only boxes that qualify for other plans are direct from TiVo or refurbs like some of the ones Woot has offered since they are older TiVos.

They probably aren't tracking serial numbers though I would imagine they have ways to, but instead just use the serial numbers they have on hand since when you buy from TiVo.com it ships activated on your account.

20. jbell73

jbell73 Member

Oct 31, 2006
    But what if I had bought one, and never activated it? Or better yet, what if I buy it now, and wait for them to change their promotion (unless this is how they will sell Premiere until it's extinct). Also, they have no way of tracking how much you paid for your unit, so it has to be based on when you try to activate it.

I purchased one for $55 from Electronics Expo to use as spare, and swap in the TSN if one of my lifetime units ever die. I assume this would work, but have no way of testing.

-J