Amazon is now selling the Roamio OTA for $49

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by tarheelblue32, Jan 21, 2015.

1. tarheelblue32

tarheelblue32 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2014
    Raleigh, NC
  2. Arcady

Arcady Stargate Fan

Oct 14, 2004
    Philadelphia...
    So.... $39 for an extra Roamio remote, or $49 for a remote that comes with a whole TiVo?

Decisions, decisions...

3. spaldingclan

spaldingclan Member

Aug 22, 2012
    what size harddrive is that in there? 500gb? I'd almost want to buy this, rip out the drive and sell the remote and pop a smaller drive in and sell it. are you required to activate it?

4. tarheelblue32

tarheelblue32 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2014
    Raleigh, NC
    Nope, you don't have to activate it. Though turning around and selling one without the remote and a smaller hard drive sounds a little dirty to me.

5. Arcady

Arcady Stargate Fan

Oct 14, 2004
    Philadelphia...
    I was thinking I'd buy one, replace the remote with a new one from a Mini, but upgrade the hard drive to 2TB and sell it.

6. HarperVision

HarperVision TiVo's Italian Cuz!

May 14, 2007
    Paradise...
    I'm thinking of buying one from and with my Best Buy $40 rewards coupon I just got (or a FireTV stick) just mainly for the remote and maybe the hard drive.

Does anyone know if I don't activate it, can I at least setup manual recordings with it? I have an ATSC/QAM modulator that I'd like to use as a source for it.

7. Arcady

Arcady Stargate Fan

Oct 14, 2004
    Philadelphia...
    I don't think any modern TiVo will allow recording without service.

8. HarperVision

May 14, 2007
    Paradise...
    Thanks. I was thinking I heard you could at least do basic pause and manual recordings.

Can so one who maybe just bought a TiVo OTA give it a quick try for me before activating?

9. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    All you can do is pause live TV. All recording functions are disabled. And its going to bug you every time you go into the menus to activate service.

10. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I wish they offered MSD on this, I might consider getting one. I have one station I can only get via OTA. I currently record it on my PC with an HDHomeRun and then convert/transfer the recordings to my TiVo. But it's a PITA and I've gotten lazy so haven't watched those shows in a while. Would be much easier to just stream from an actual TiVo, but $150 for a Roamio Basic + service seems like a bit much for this. If I could get an OTA for $50 and pay for MSD I might do it.

11. Arcady

Arcady Stargate Fan

Oct 14, 2004
    Philadelphia...
    You can buy my OTA-capable Premiere and it qualifies for $6.95 a month... :eek:

12. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Does it actually qualify for $6.95 if transferred to my account? I was actually looking at your thread and considering that, but you said you couldn't get a strait answer from TiVo about that.

13. HarperVision

May 14, 2007
    Paradise...
    Oh ok. Maybe I'll just get it for the remote and HD then.

I saw this and it sounded interesting tho:

14. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Yeah he used the 30 day return window. So he activated service for a month, recorded a bunch of stuff, canceled the service before 30 days so as to get a refund and avoid the commitment, then continued to watch the stuff he recorded.

That's the other thing you can do, watch anything that is already in My Shows after the service is canceled. But to do that you have to have service in the first place. And if you screw up and forget to cancel before the 30 days are up you'll be on the hook for an early termination fee. And in either case it will still bug you about activating service every time you go into the menus.

15. HarperVision

May 14, 2007
    Paradise...
    Yeah I saw that he did that, but he also continues to use it to pause and swap tuners for various news shows, etc.

I went ahead and ordered it, if only for the HD and remote. My cost was only $10.39 anyway.

16. Arcady

Arcady Stargate Fan

Oct 14, 2004
    Philadelphia...
    I'll call up TiVo tomorrow and ask them to give me a firm yes or no. If I can get them to commit to it and give me a case# or something, I'll let you know.

17. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    OK, PM me when you hear back.

18. blacknoi

blacknoi Member

Jan 23, 2006
    So I have a Roamio Basic with a non-RF remote.

Is the remote this one comes with RF and if so, can the BASIC get paired up with the (assuming )RF remote this one comes with.... without any USB dongle etc?

I wouldn't mind buying it for the remote upgrade to my basic, as well as a spare extra hard drive.

19. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    To answer the question if the basic Roamio works with the RF remote without a dongle: yes. I replaced all my remotes with the same rf remote. Even when they work via IR.

20. spaldingclan

spaldingclan Member

Aug 22, 2012
    uh if I told whomever was buying it how many hours it held how is that "dirty" I never said I'd try and pass it off as anything more than what it was.