Amazon Instant Video:HD movie rentals : Color me impressed!

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by 1080p guy, Apr 25, 2011.

1. 1080p guy

1080p guy New Member

Mar 29, 2011
    After finally fixing my Tivo/Amazon accounts linking problems(Thanks, to a call to Tivo customer service) I was able to watch an HD movie rental (Unstoppable) last night. After entering my Amazon "1-click" pin # I received the message (along the lines of) the movie would begin downloading within the half hour & would be placed in the Now Playing List when ready for viewing. I have fairly decent download speed so I'm not exactly sure how long it took to download . I watched the intermission before the overtime period & the overtime period of an NHL playoff game before checking the Play List. It was there by the time I checked! The first thing I checked was the input information on my XBR6 it read 1080p24(It looked like that, but I checked the screen info anyway). I think my Bluray player may end up being used a bit less , dependent on what Amazon makes available. I'm a real stickler for PQ & at no time did I think I was watching 1080i. Do any of the other vendors(Netflix,Blockbuster,etc..) offer 1080p yet? I can't help myself but I'd have to give this service (that dopey Tivo icon):up:

2. duncan7

duncan7 Member

Sep 17, 2004
    You're lucky. Over my 3 megabit DSL, HD movies show up overnight, at best, and the last title I watched ("Due Date") was quite badly pixellated.

3. nrc

nrc Cracker Soul

Nov 17, 1999
    Living in a...
    I've had good luck as well. HD movies download at about 50% of real time and have generally been very high quality. On both of my last two I did have a brief instance of bad pixellation but it wasn't any worse than some of the DVDs I've rented over the years.

4. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Netflix does 1080p for some movies but only if you watch via a PS3. (they have some exclusive deal with Sony for now)

Dan

5. 1080p guy

1080p guy New Member

Mar 29, 2011