Amazon Fire TV

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by tomhorsley, Apr 2, 2014.

1. Apr 2, 2014 #1 of 66
    tomhorsley

tomhorsley Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2010

Advertisements

So, I guess amazon streaming on TiVo is now totally out of the picture.

Amazon wants you to buy a FireTV box from them (why it is a giant box and not an HDMI dongle, I don't know).

2. Apr 2, 2014 #2 of 66
    jjd416

jjd416 Member

Nov 24, 2009
    Amazon's offering is a good one, but they are a little late to the table. I doubt they will abandon current platforms and would still benefit by adding additional platforms. My fingers are still crossed for an updated TiVo interface, but I realize it isn't likely.

3. Apr 2, 2014 #3 of 66
    tarheelblue32

tarheelblue32 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2014
    Raleigh, NC
    I'd hardly call it a "giant box", but it's probably so it can have more memory and a more powerful processor to support things like gaming, and so it can be used without a smartphone or tablet for those of us who still prefer using a remote. They can always come out with a dongle version later, the way Roku has.

4. Apr 2, 2014 #4 of 66
    TrooperOrange

TrooperOrange New Member

Apr 22, 2012
    Its actually pretty small. Also houses a quad core CPU and 2GB of Ram, and a bunch of ports on the back. So yeah.

5. Apr 2, 2014 #5 of 66
    Fist of Death

Fist of Death Bon Vivant

Jan 4, 2002
    The Emerald...

Advertisements

I can't see any compelling reason to ditch my TiVo + Roku 3 combo...

6. Apr 2, 2014 #6 of 66
    tarheelblue32

Jan 12, 2014
    Raleigh, NC
    There isn't really. I have a Roku 3 and it is great. But if I didn't yet have a Roku and was in the market for a streaming media player, I would give serious consideration to this new device. You can see a comparison chart between FireTV, Roku3, Apple TV, and Chromecast on the Amazon FireTV page.

7. Apr 2, 2014 #7 of 66
    rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    The only benefit I see is that the Fire TV has voice search and has better game support than the Roku 3. Roku has more channels though. I'm not sure either is way ahead of the other at this point but it seems the Fire TV is more of a competitor to Roku than any other box.

8. Apr 2, 2014 #8 of 66
    tarheelblue32

Jan 12, 2014
    Raleigh, NC
    Apple better get off their butts and do something. Both Roku and Amazon now have a better product than Apple TV. Hell, even my Samsung Smart TV is better than Apple TV now.

9. Apr 2, 2014 #9 of 66
    TrooperOrange

TrooperOrange New Member

Apr 22, 2012
    You aren't kidding about that. The only thing I can see that Fire TV is missing is HBOGo, which I imagine would come down the pipe at some point.

Apple is woefully behind, perhaps all the competition will spur them into some innovation. Of course they have always viewed Apple TV as a pet project right?

10. bareyb

bareyb Under Maintenance TCF Club

Dec 1, 2000
    Silicon Valley
    Apple TV has Airplay. That's probably all they really need to be successful and it's the one reason I'll always have one. Occasionally I watch a Movie with my ATV, but I find the controls to be too limited for the sake of being simple. I'd far rather watch stuff on my TiVo with 30 second skip, instant replay, etc.

11. gweempose

gweempose Well-Known Member TCF Club

Mar 23, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    HBO GO is literally the only reason I own an Apple TV. I much prefer my Roku 3, but Comcast won't allow me to access HBO and Showtime through it.

12. gweempose

Mar 23, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    I just looked at the Fire TV page. Those are some damn impressive specs. I'm a little concerned that there doesn't appear to be a way to control it with a 3rd party IR remote. That would be a deal breaker for me, as I like to control my entire A/V system from one remote. It does have a USB port, though, so I assume that could potentially be used for an RF receiver.

13. TrooperOrange

TrooperOrange New Member

Apr 22, 2012
    Logitech makes a bluetooth remote thingy, the Fire TV is bluetooth, wonder if that would work?

14. TrooperOrange

TrooperOrange New Member

Apr 22, 2012
    That is one of my huge pet peeves, when an app exists, the comcast isn't on the list of supported providers. Major WTF, happened with HBOGo on the PS 3 as well.

15. tenthplanet

tenthplanet Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2004
    Apple clone. Optical out? Apple clone. This is trying to be a Roku killer if anything but my guess is Amazon has something with pricing plans for content up their sleeve. A $99.00 box at this point doesn't add up.
    Apple TV has home sharing, behind I think not.

16. gweempose

Mar 23, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    I agree. The price point seems off. I suspect Amazon will start giving these away free with new Prime memberships. They are probably going after Netflix more than they are going after Roku.

17. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    Lets see Apple TV $99, Roku 3 $99, Amazon Fire TV $99. Amazon is selling significantly better hardware with more abilities at the same price as Roku or Apple. Sounds like it adds up to me.

18. gweempose

Mar 23, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    $99 still seems like a pretty high price point for most people. Roku's entry level players are only $49. The Chromecast is only $35.

19. jcthorne

jcthorne Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2002
    Houston
    The hardware specs are pretty impressive for a streamer box but,,, with all that muscle they are very short on codec support and does not play local files at all. It could have easily run circles around the WDTV boxes but falls very short in the software area.

Tivo may still get better Amazon support. They want their content in front of customers. Hopeful anyway.

At this point, its ehh, not something I need or even want to play with.

20. Bigg

Bigg Cord Cutter

Oct 30, 2003
    Hartford-...
    First off, I'm glad they put an Ethernet port on the thing. The Chromecast is a useless piece of plastic if your 2.4ghz channels are all jammed up, as there's no way to hard wire it. Roku and Apple TV both have Ethernet, so Chromecast is the odd man out there.

It looks mostly redundant to Roku, although the gaming could be interesting, and they have some serious hardware under the hood. I might get one of these things next time I move (and rebuilt my HT setup, third time should be a charm), although that and a Chromecast would be my 9th and 10th HDMI devices, in addition to analog, so it might put me over the edge HDMI switch wise...

I don't really see it competing with Apple TV, unless you're looking at it from an ecosystem perspective. Apple TV is really an accessory for the iPad, Chromcast for an Android phone or tablet, while this is more like a standalone device like Roku, although it can act as an accessory for the Kindle Fire line.

I like RF remotes, although Roku has one too. But I'm still a little doubtful that I really need 3 or 4 devices with Amazon Prime, and 10 or 11 (??) devices that support Netflix... I'll probably get one anyways just to play with it...