Amazon Fire TV is the Best Box to Connect to A Cord Cutter's TV

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by gfgray, Oct 23, 2015.

1. gfgray

gfgray Member

Mar 14, 2004

Advertisements

Now that it has a TiVo Mini app and support for Sling TV, move your Roamio to the spare bedroom and use this as your main device to view content from both?

2. davefred99

davefred99 Member

Oct 31, 2004
    Lassen...
    Doesn't the app on FireTv require a Stream or a Tivo Box that has it built in. I am using a Roamio Basic for OTA and the stream is not built in nor do I want to put out more money to add it as an add on just for this. I am looking at adding a Roku 4 for streaming more content I already have a Mini along with a Plex server I use to get a few additional channels not available from TIvo. I am looking for the perfect solution that does not exist yet.

3. jcthorne

jcthorne Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2002
    Houston
    If you already have a plex server, install the tivo plug in and then you can see all the recordings on your tivo from anywhere you access your plex server.

4. jcthorne

Jan 28, 2002
    Houston
    Unfortunately the current Fire TV tivo app is a poor, low resolution substitute for a real mini. Using the plex ap and accessing the tivo through the plex server actually works far better and does not require a stream device.

5. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...

Advertisements

Can you confirm that the Amazon Fire TV supports 1080/p24 from Amazon movie streaming? The TiVo does, my Sony's do, and the Roku 3 (and soon 4) doesn't.

6. anthonymoody

anthonymoody Member

Apr 29, 2008
    If Roku ever gets a full resolution tivo app, look out.

7. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    Roku can not play MPEG 2 files so anything recorded in MPEG 2 (most cable and all OTA) must be converted to H.264/MPEG 4 and will likely loose some resolution in the process (which is also why a "Stream" either built in or the stand alone one will be/is required).

8. Bigg

Bigg Cord Cutter

Oct 30, 2003
    Hartford-...
    Exactly. And therein lies the problem.

The title of this thread is ridiculous because there is no one, single, ultimate streaming/recording/whatever device.

9. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    The TiVo Mini could be, if they added a few more key apps. Or if they adopted an Android OS instead so they could just use the multitude of existing apps.

10. trip1eX

trip1eX imo, afaik, feels like to me, *exceptions, ~aprox

Apr 2, 2005
    IF you want a way to make cabletv look better then you've found it.

11. Series3Sub

Series3Sub Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2010
    And Roku at some point may have to go Android as well now that Fire is strong competitor and developers incur costs making apps just for Roku.

12. Jrr6415sun

Jrr6415sun Member

Mar 31, 2006
    The fire TV app is really poor quality. I would never use it over a mini

13. Jrr6415sun

Jrr6415sun Member

Mar 31, 2006
    it blocks protected recordings though right?

14. jcthorne

Jan 28, 2002
    Houston
    So does all the other streaming options except Slingbox which uses the analog loophole.

If you have protected recordings, complain to the provider you paid to use them for not letting you watch them remotely. Its not a tivo issue.

15. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I agree, it's nothing more then a player. It has none of the management features of a Mini. It's really only useful for watching TiVo from a hotel room or maybe for use in a little used extra bedroom.

16. sangahm

sangahm New Member

Nov 28, 2010
    While it doesn't have the management features of a Mini, it does provide another viewing option for another TV without having to purchase a Mini too. For my use, having all of my TV recordings on another TV is useful. It does provide the basics (30 sec FWD/BACK) but FF and RW would be nice. I agree that if I was going to watch more often, then I would get a Mini for full management.

17. Bigg

Bigg Cord Cutter

Oct 30, 2003
    Hartford-...
    It could be close, but I still wouldn't call it the king. The thing is kind of sluggish running apps, and they all have different remote conventions. It's sort of confusing switching between TV, Amazon, and Netflix, as they all behave differently. My setup is in storage right now, as I'm between places, so I only have the TiVo Mini, but when I get my setup running again, I'm going to move Netflix and Amazon off to something else, probably either Roku or the FireTV Stick. I'll have to use the built-in app for Netflix when I get a 4k TV though.