Amazon and Netflix Streaming 4K on Bolt

Discussion in 'TiVo Bolt DVR/Streamer' started by copwriter, May 5, 2020.

1. May 5, 2020 #1 of 12
    copwriter

copwriter Member

Aug 29, 2005
    I have purchased an ungraded home theater system that includes a Sony 77-inch OLED TV and a Denon AVR X4500H receiver. Installation is presently delayed owing to the quarantine, but is expected to take place late next week. I have a Bolt, purchased in August 2018. I'm wondering if the Bolt is going to stream 4K programming from Netflix and Amazon Prime, which are presently the only streaming services I use. The dealer who put the home theater package together for me isn't familiar with the TiVo. She says she usually installs a Roku Ultra in systems like mine when streaming capability is desired. I can purchase a Roku Ultra, but I would rather just have the Bolt serve this purpose if its up to it.

There have been a few message threads on this topic (yes, I did search before I posted this), but they're mostly 2-3 years old. What I was able to suss out from the previous discussions is that the Bolt streams the 4K signal well enough, but may not be able to deliver on HDR. Can anyone tell me whether the Bolt can/will deliver all the functionality of the Roku Ultra, or should I just buy the Roku and be sure to get the full performance?

2. May 5, 2020 #2 of 12
    JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Nice thing about Prime is that you can watch trailers. I don't have a Bolt, so I can't help there. But my Roku Ultra can stream UHD. I just upgraded my TV and AVR to 4k. I'm searching for DV and HDR movies to test on Amazon. Like I said, no login or trial needed. BTW, TV is 43X800H. Very nice.

3. May 5, 2020 #3 of 12
    keithg1964

keithg1964 Ragonk

Feb 2, 2006
    Texas
    You can if everything between the bolt and including the TV is HDMI 2.2 (I think) you can get 4k. My receiver is only 2.0 and I cannot get 4k, just 1080p. I hooked my bolt direct to my TV and got 4k, but did not notice an difference so moved it back to my receiver.

4. May 5, 2020 #4 of 12
    lujan

lujan Member

May 24, 2010
    You can get 4k HDR on Vudu and Netflix. It appears 4k is available on Prime but without HDR.

5. May 5, 2020 #5 of 12
    Tony_T

Tony_T Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2017
    Forget streaming on the Bolt (TiVo is a great DVR, the streamer Apps are not updated, even if it can do 4k)

Get a Roku.

6. May 5, 2020 #6 of 12
    A J Ricaud

A J Ricaud Active Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Hacienda...
    Your Sony TV has those streaming apps built in. I use them instead of the ones on the Bolt. I suggest you try those first before buying another streaming device.

Tony_T likes this.
  7. May 6, 2020 #7 of 12
    copwriter

copwriter Member

Aug 29, 2005
    The vendor who put together and will be installing the home theater system favors using a Roku, rather than a direct connection to the TV. The vendor has considerable experience with these components, and if she could get maximum quality with a direct connection, I think she would say so. I might try your suggestion, but I’ll probably order and install the Roku first, and then see if a direct connection works.

I do appreciate the responses I’ve received.

8. May 6, 2020 #8 of 12
    A J Ricaud

A J Ricaud Active Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Hacienda...
    I suggest that you confirm there will be an Ethernet cable connected to the new TV. You will need it to get firmware updates on the TV. I wouldn't rely on Wi-Fi for that. It will also be more reliable if you decide to try the built-in streaming apps.

9. May 6, 2020 #9 of 12
    copwriter

copwriter Member

Aug 29, 2005
    I have hardwired Ethernet with an 8-port switch running to the media cabinet. I’d been using Wi-Fi for this for years, but there would be occasional dropouts. The hardwire connection is solid.

10. A J Ricaud

A J Ricaud Active Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Hacienda...
    Sounds like you have it covered. BTW, you have a terrific sounding system. Enjoy.

11. copwriter

copwriter Member

Aug 29, 2005
    I’m hoping that it all comes together well. Thanks again for the responses.

12. Rose4uKY

Rose4uKY Member

Mar 28, 2003
    Kentucky
    Oh really! We use the Roku Ultra 4K with our Vizio 4K TV and have a Tivo Roamio but got an ad pop up about getting a Bolt for a 100 off and 5 bucks off monthly service. I am trying to figure out if it's worth it or not. We also have a Nakamichi 9.2 I think it is soundbar. I didn't even know their was an Edge DVR until now. We've had our premiere since like August of 2013 and if the Volt is from 2016 I think so is it still worth getting or should we consider the edge? What is Dolby Vision? Tivo said the edge had Dolby Atmos and Vision and 2TB plus light up remote only differences. But we go through out Nakamichi for sound. I don't know just trying to decide if we should upgrade. Right now husband uses Roku Ultra 4K for everything our 4K Vizio is a smart TV.