'Amazing Race' production halted over coronavirus concerns

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by brianric, Feb 28, 2020.

1. brianric

brianric Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2002
    Pennsville, NJ
  2. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Not to make light, but: an Arctic/Antarctica version? ;)

3. Mar 1, 2020 #3 of 31
    tivotvaddict

tivotvaddict CreativelyChallenged

Aug 11, 2005
    In front of...
    Glad there is still one season ready to go

Mikeguy likes this.
  4. Mar 2, 2020 #4 of 31
    DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    And glad they plan to continue production once the coronavirus fears are over. I can't decide if this is a good thing or a bad thing for those teams that got eliminated in the first couple episodes. They likely will just never get to go back. Maybe that's good that they won't have to sit around Elimination Station for a few weeks, but maybe they were looking forward to the no-stress vacation.

5. Mar 2, 2020 #5 of 31
    realityboy

realityboy Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Depending on availability of the remaining racers, I was wondering if they’d have to just scrap what they have and start over.

6. trainman

trainman Nice to see you

Jan 29, 2001
    Sherman...
    mattack likes this.
  7. series5orpremier

series5orpremier Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2013
    I guess they need it to fill a time slot this Fall since their scripted dramas won't be able to go into production in time.

Steveknj, Mikeguy and osu1991 like this.
  8. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Giving the show some respect as a lead show. :)

9. lambertman

lambertman Incrediburgible

Dec 20, 2002
    Indianapolis...
    but in the meantime, phooey. I hope TAR Canada was able to shoot its season.

10. osu1991

osu1991 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2015
    Oklahoma
    They haven’t started yet.

They closed casting the first week of January and were finalizing the final teams. When Amazing Race pulled the US teams out of the U.K. and sent them home, Bell announced they were still planning the route for TAR Canada and were supposed to start filming in late April. I haven’t heard anything about them starting. I would assume they definitely won’t leave Canada, if they do get to shoot.

The Amazing Race Australia is still scheduled to start shooting Race 5 in late June, but they’ve changed the route and it will be an all domestic route staying in Australia.

11. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    My guess is yeah, they are pushing this to the fall because of the potential lack of content. Another summer staple, is Big Brother, and wonder what will happen there? I bet the same thing, it'll get pushed to the fall.

12. tivotvaddict

Aug 11, 2005
    In front of...
    Terrible news. The Survivor community will be ripe to watch a new similar competition reality show after this incredible season ends. TAR could have picked up a ton of new viewers during a time when so many are stuck at home starved for distraction.

jeetkunedo and Steveknj like this.
  13. stellie93

stellie93 Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2006
    You would think Big Brother could test everybody when they come in and then once a week, and the staff as well. Do lots of sanitizing. It's under as much control as any show could be.

Steveknj likes this.
  14. realityboy

realityboy Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    It might depend on what stay at home order is in place at the time. That’s what killed Big Brother Canada this year. It’s a very nonessential business.

15. MauriAnne

MauriAnne Mostly lurking

Sep 20, 2002
    NC
    Is TAR Canada available for streaming in the US?

16. osu1991

osu1991 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2015
    Oklahoma
    I don't think its on any of the US streaming services. It's a shame the US networks have locked out many of the foreign English language versions of some of these shows. They could be filling in the countless repeats with some new programming that many people would enjoy watching like the Canadian, UK, Australian, Irish, New Zealand and South African versions of Amazing Race, Masterchef, Dancing with the Stars, The Voice, Survivor etc...

There are places to find all 7 seasons of TAR Canada. Someone has put 4 seasons in somewhat decent quality on a single youtube channel. You can find most of the various versions somewhere on Youtube in various qualities.
    link to the main youtube channel (Amazing R) list for Canadian episodes
    Amazing R.

dailymotion has some of them also

17. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    I did notice that Wipeout Canada was streaming via PlutoTV. I didn't notice any of the other reality shows streaming foreign versions.

18. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    For those that haven't watched TAR Canada, it's an excellent version. In some ways even better than the US version.

Mikeguy and osu1991 like this.
  19. stellie93

stellie93 Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2006
    I don't really consider entertainment for those of us who have been forced to stay and home to be nonessential. If it can be done with no risk to the staff and contestants, why not do it?

brianric likes this.
  20. tivotvaddict

Aug 11, 2005
    In front of...
    I'm going to guess it's the staff that's the limiting factor. Theoretically you could quarantine the contestants before entering and then there's a contained environment for them. Staff, however, are going in and out and interacting with families, and are in close contact with each other and contestants.