Amazing Race -- OAD 2/20/11

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by PKurmas, Feb 21, 2011.

1. Feb 21, 2011 #1 of 131
    PKurmas

PKurmas Member

Apr 24, 2001
    Savannah GA

Advertisements

I'm looking forward to seeing how the first legs ends. Nothing particularly special to see in the 1st episode in HD, though.

My biggest "d'oh" observations from the leg:
    1. OK, so I'm a trivia fan, but how tough really is it to come up with QANTAS from "Queensland and Northern Territory Air Service"?
    2. Mallory, you don't need divine intervention to read signal flags.
    3. Jet and Cord picked right back up where they left off making foolish moves, failing to read (or translate) clues, etc. I was rooting for them to last a long time but I don't think it's going to happen.
    4. The Globetrotters are still a hoot. Here's hoping that a challenge doesn't ask them to read (or spell) Nietzsche. Of course, Luke did no better with Chekhov, as I recall.

2. Feb 21, 2011 #2 of 131
    loubob57

loubob57 Cancer sucks! TCF Club

Mar 19, 2001
    Bedford, TX
    What was up with Jet & Cord? Translate ALL the flags! I think they are freaked out about being last so they're in too much of a hurry to do things right.

3. Feb 21, 2011 #3 of 131
    Maui

Maui Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2000
    Decatur, IL
    I think you are right. This was the weakest I remember seeing them. I think they are just trying to rush because they are in last. I really want to see them do well.

I don't know half the teams since I just started watching a few seasons ago. I always did like Mallory and her dad. I don't think they are that strong of a team actually but I was still happy to see them come in first.

In Jet and Cords defense there were, I think, 4 other teams who did not fully, or correctly, translate those flags. Those teams were just lucky enough to get other teams to tell the answer to them.

4. Feb 21, 2011 #4 of 131
    eddyj

eddyj Señor Member TCF Club

Jun 20, 2002
    South Florida
    Great starting leg, so far. Makes me excited about the Race again. I skipped a couple of races altogether, and finally watched last one again. Looking forward to this one.

But as always with these types of things, I gotta wonder how they decided on what teams to include.

5. Feb 21, 2011 #5 of 131
    gossamer88

gossamer88 UHDTV Snob

Jul 26, 2005
    Da Bronx

Advertisements

I agree. No way some those teams would've figured it out for themselves. There should be a rule about giving others the answers.

Something tells me that this leg is a non-elimination leg since it continues on. I hope for the cowboys sake.

6. Feb 21, 2011 #6 of 131
    fmowry

fmowry Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2002
    Baltimore, MD
    While I like the Cowboys, if you're that dumb (this goes for the other teams too that couldn't do a 6 year old Happy Meal puzzle) you should be eliminated.

7. Feb 21, 2011 #7 of 131
    Regina

Regina I've got Jewbs!

Mar 29, 2003
    Indiana
    So I've only watched these last 4 seasons....has the order of the 1st and 2nd planes ever gotten reversed like this before due to health issues, mechanical problems, etc? That was pretty cool! :cool:

They are really making it tough on these guys-no rest for the weary-but like Phil said, second chances don't come cheap...;)

Those cheerleaders--:rolleyes:-they said that people either loved them or hated them-well, 5 seconds in I hated them-and their super-fake red hair! :D

I am looking forward to seeing what happens-hope the Globetrotters stay in for a while, loved how Zev and Dustin had Globetrotters shirts on! LOL! :p

8. Feb 21, 2011 #8 of 131
    TiVo'Brien

TiVo'Brien Now with 2.6% Fewer Organs TCF Club

Feb 8, 2002
    Orlando,...
    So WHY were Zev and Dustin wearing Globetrotters shirts? I totally didn't get it. :confused:

Love the HD, baby! Amazing camera work and scenery! :up:

9. Feb 21, 2011 #9 of 131
    ElJay

ElJay Active Member

Apr 6, 2005
    There's no "U" in Qantas.

So a passenger has a heart attack on the plane, and some of the racers are more concerned about where they fit in the race. Yes, you can naturally think about that in your mind, but you don't say it to television cameras.

The teams and/or racers that were annoying to watch before are, as expected, still annoying.

What does Mallory do for a job? Does she sit there all day praying to St. Anthony or Jesus when she can't figure something out?

10. Feb 21, 2011 #10 of 131
    brott

brott at redh dot com

Feb 23, 2001
    Pleasanton, CA
    You do realize they were delayed for at least 2 hours and what we saw was a tiny snippet. That may have been the only 2 seconds that it was said over that entire 2+ hour ordeal. I'm sure they all said "I hope the guy's OK" many times over but that we didn't see it.

11. Feb 21, 2011 #11 of 131
    Regina

Regina I've got Jewbs!

Mar 29, 2003
    Indiana
    One of the racers-can't remember which-said "The most important thing is that the guy is fine.." :eek:

12. Feb 21, 2011 #12 of 131
    Regina

Regina I've got Jewbs!

Mar 29, 2003
    Indiana
    Well, they did say "The Globetrotters are our boys-we ran with them the first time around.." And they did help Flight Time & Big Easy with the flags, so I guess they are BFFs now! :D:p

13. Feb 21, 2011 #13 of 131
    laria

laria Librocubicularist

Sep 7, 2000
    Seacoast, NH
    Justin. :)

They came from the same season and were friends.

I couldn't believe how many of those teams expected, and were given, the flag answer from the other teams. People, you are in a RACE for a million dollars!

14. Feb 21, 2011 #14 of 131
    brott

brott at redh dot com

Feb 23, 2001
    Pleasanton, CA
    Strategy ... Rub my back, I'll rub yours later. Plus you could help remove a potentially strong team in the process. While the ultimate goal is to with a million dollars, the immediate goal is to not come in last at any leg. Any little edge helps and working together early can pay dividends later.

15. Feb 21, 2011 #15 of 131
    Einselen

Einselen ɹǝsn pǝɹǝʇsıƃǝɹ

Apr 25, 2006
    I liked the teams that worked together at the flags, that is a smart move since you cut your time in half. One person is working on the passphrase while the other person is working on the location.

The teams that just went and gave the answers confuse me. Sure they may help you out down the road and you think you may be able to beat them in a later leg but in TAR I wouldn't count on much, it is mainly you and your partner that will either win it or lose it for yourself.

16. Feb 21, 2011 #16 of 131
    laria

laria Librocubicularist

Sep 7, 2000
    Seacoast, NH
    There's a difference between "working together" and "standing around expecting someone to hand you the answer" though. :)

17. Feb 21, 2011 #17 of 131
    Sapphire

Sapphire Xtal substance

Sep 9, 2002
    USA
    My interest in the race is renewed, especially since it's in HD!

They're still going to have pit stops where they gather everyone right? The race would be boring if everyone was split up across different legs.

18. Feb 21, 2011 #18 of 131
    markz

markz Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2002
    Connersville...
    I think I remember one time a plane had mechanical issues and the second plane got ahead of it.

Looks like Jet & Cord aren't long for this race. Too bad. I am rooting for them and the Globetrotters.

I had to laugh at Kent & Vyxsin. When they were trying to get to Manly Bay, he was flexing for the camera and she said he should fit right in! Whatever, there is not one manly thing about him.

19. Feb 21, 2011 #19 of 131
    Inundated

Inundated Face For Radio TCF Club

Sep 9, 2003
    Northeast Ohio
    Yes, there have been plane/mechanical/weather problems that have changed the order in previous seasons.

Jet and Cord... sigh. Not a good start for the cowboys! But, the Trotters seem to be in good opening form. I do wonder if the reaction to the passenger heart attack was edited to make them look good.

Glad to have TAR back, and in HD to boot. Though I hope the HD production doesn't limit the destinations this season...

20. Feb 21, 2011 #20 of 131
    jtlytle

jtlytle Un-Registered User

May 17, 2005
    Sacramento,...
    I'm praying LaKisha and Jennifer got elimination on next leg!