Amazing Race OAD 12/4/11

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by RandomTask, Dec 4, 2011.

1. Dec 4, 2011 #1 of 85
    RandomTask

RandomTask New Member

Jun 30, 2011
    HFC, I would never have predicted that outcome in a zillion years. Not sure I like the taxi drivers effectively screwing the boys. Still, I'm fine with any of the final three teams winning.

2. Dec 4, 2011 #2 of 85
    Einselen

Einselen ɹǝsn pǝɹǝʇsıƃǝɹ

Apr 25, 2006
    I have seen taxi drivers lose a race for a contestant but it looked like the Snowboarders had a chance until they drivers all collectively called each other. I wonder if the Snowboarders knew this when they were eliminated or shortly thereafter. It not I would like to know their reaction when this aired.

3. Dec 4, 2011 #3 of 85
    CharlieW

CharlieW Go to the mall.

May 30, 2001
    Jersey Shore
    I think the Snowboarders still would have blamed themselves since they were the first to arrive at the location where the women were dancing. I don't think it would have changed their reaction. I'm sure they feel that had they not raced off to find "Balboa" instead of taking a little while longer to figure out the clue correctly the first time that their fate would have been different.

It's too bad, they were excellent racers and there were two teams behind them (that wound up in the finals) who were also chasing the wrong clue until Jeremy and Sandy's cab driver decided to share their correct observation with the other two cab drivers.

4. Dec 4, 2011 #4 of 85
    Neenahboy

Neenahboy Statistical outlier

Apr 7, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Pretty dull episode until the last clue there. I really dislike their need to force all the stale tropes into the last couple legs (skydiving/rappelling/tightrope walking, going through a local market, the emphasis on the "rapido" crap that gained new legs in this episode). The Tintin tie-in was fun, though. I'm surprised so few Belgians knew what they were supposed to be.

I'm fine with any of the three winning, but I find Marcus and Amani to be the least objectionable team by a mile. Certainly not a strong season overall.

5. Dec 4, 2011 #5 of 85
    mike_k

mike_k Registered User

Sep 20, 2005
    Mason, OH
    Crappy ending. Snowboarders got screwed. :thumbsdown: I don't like challenges like the tightrope where only one team can go at a time. There's no chance for a team to pass another and teams that have to wait on a slower team to finish end up further behind.

6. Dec 5, 2011 #6 of 85
    murgatroyd

murgatroyd Don't stop believin'

Jan 5, 2002
    Berkeley CA
    Oh yeah, having two of the the final three determined by the taxi drivers -- that's really satisfying television. :rolleyes:

7. Dec 5, 2011 #7 of 85
    robojerk

robojerk Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Laguna Hills CA
    If I saw correctly, there was at least 2 tightrope stations. With the 20 minute gap between teams there shouldn't have been any bunching.

8. Dec 5, 2011 #8 of 85
    mike_k

mike_k Registered User

Sep 20, 2005
    Mason, OH
    Maybe I saw it wrong, but it looked like there was only one station and Amani had to wait for Cindy to finish.

As far as the 20 minute gap, the last two teams got the tattoos at the same time, so there wasn't much of a gap between them - and somehow the 2nd team caught up to the Snowboarders on the way to the towers so there wasn't much of a gap between them, either.

9. Dec 5, 2011 #9 of 85
    DavidTigerFan

DavidTigerFan No, not Detroit. TCF Club

Aug 18, 2001
    Charleston, SC
    That was the biggest BS ending I've ever seen. Those teams that didn't solve it shouldn't be in the final.

10. caslu

caslu Active Member

Jun 24, 2003
    I really liked the Snowboarders and was rooting for them to win all the way but they weren't screwed by a taxi driver. They screwed themselves by misinterpreting the clue and unfortunately, coming up with a name for a place that actually existed but wasn't their destination.

Guess I'll have to root for Marcus and Armani now, they're likable enough but not a very good team... not sure how they've survived this long.

11. Maui

Maui Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2000
    Decatur, IL
    They were not screwed by their Taxi Driver. They were kind of screwed that the other Taxi Drivers radioed each other with the location they were traveling to. I know at least Marcus and Amani did not know the final location. They were thinking the same as the Snowboarders.

12. loubob57

loubob57 Cancer sucks! TCF Club

Mar 19, 2001
    Bedford, TX
    I hope that Ernie & Cindy get beat to the mat by about 5 seconds next week. :p

13. andyw715

andyw715 Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2007
    I wonder why the taxi drivers did that?

If you were trying to get away from someone and ducked into a taxi, would you want the driver communicating the destination with the chasing taxi?

14. Squeak

Squeak Well-Known Member TCF Club

May 12, 2000
    Columbus, Ohio
    Probably because they were trying to end their day as soon as possible.

They didn't want to have to keep driving these people all over the place, and if they knew they were going to the wrong place, they would just have to keep going.

Looked like they were all "retained" by the producers, to ensure transportation, but they had no skin in the game to make sure their team won.

15. TIVOSciolist

TIVOSciolist Bye to High Society

Oct 13, 2003
    Oakland,...
    . . . as Cindy, who is losing the footrace, is screaming out about how unfair this is.

I like Marcus and Amani but am so grateful that, last night, he described his team as David versus Goliath rather than using another tired football analogy.

16. CharlieW

CharlieW Go to the mall.

May 30, 2001
    Jersey Shore
    I think I'm rooting for Jeremy and Sandy now, since they were the only team that actually solved the last clue and made it to the mat without aid.

17. loubob57

loubob57 Cancer sucks! TCF Club

Mar 19, 2001
    Bedford, TX
    That's also what I'm thinking.

18. robojerk

robojerk Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Laguna Hills CA
    They're actually gotten better as a team/couple the last few episodes. If they're demeanor remained the same as the first few episodes, I'd probably be against them, but then again they'd probably wouldn't have made it this far.

I thought the snowboarders just executed better and more consistently than any other team. The big surprise of this episode was them not getting to the finale.

19. David Platt

David Platt Mouse Master TCF Club

Dec 13, 2001
    Portland, OR
    Agree totally. Marcus seems like a nice enough person, but I can't stand when he's onscreen because everything is a damn football analogy. EVERYTHING, and it's really freaking annoying. I was floored when he used the David & Goliath analogy.

20. tiams

tiams New Member

Apr 19, 2004
    I agree, he should shut up about football already.
    His career is over, he is out of shape, and he wants to re-live his long gone glory days. So sad. I would like him much better if he didn't have to try and be a football star and instead was just a retired guy racing with his wife.