Amazing Race - 4/19/09

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by VegasVic, Apr 19, 2009.

1. Apr 19, 2009 #1 of 129
    VegasVic

VegasVic Craps Player

Nov 21, 2002
    The Craps Table

Advertisements

The outcome was never in doubt but there were some fireworks at least. Personally I don't like either of those teams, they both get on my nerves.

2. Apr 19, 2009 #2 of 129
    IJustLikeTivo

IJustLikeTivo Active Member

Oct 3, 2001
    Gaithersburg...
    I think the competition was overblown except for the end when it was abundantly clear that the sisters were not laughing at the situation but were, in fact, laughing at Luke. I think that part was out of bounds. The rest was just competition. I will say that the first shove at the hair salon was accidental, the second at the bridge was intentional. Hell, they even said they were gonna do it. I don't think the nasty name was called for but I think Luke and Margie made too much of it.

3. Apr 19, 2009 #3 of 129
    loubob57

loubob57 Cancer sucks! TCF Club

Mar 19, 2001
    Bedford, TX
    I really don't think the fact that Luke is deaf was why they were laughing. They were just amused that they got under his skin so bad. They really didn't have to be so uber-competitive at either clue box.

I was glad they didn't try to hard to convince us that the ending was in any doubt.

4. Apr 20, 2009 #4 of 129
    spikedavis

spikedavis New Member

Nov 23, 2003

5. Apr 20, 2009 #5 of 129
    spikedavis

spikedavis New Member

Nov 23, 2003

Advertisements

BEFORE THE FINISH LINE:
    "When we get there, we're going to laugh in their face."

AFTER THE FINISH LINE:
    "No, no, no-we're not laughing at you, we just laugh..."

6. Apr 20, 2009 #6 of 129
    Neenahboy

Neenahboy Statistical outlier

Apr 7, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Personally, I think Luke was acting like a little *****, and has been for the majority of the season thus far. I also think both shoves were quite intentional.

7. Apr 20, 2009 #7 of 129
    JLucPicard

JLucPicard Active Member

Jul 8, 2004
    West St....
    I know Margie was looking at what transpired through "Mother's Eyes", but Luke was clearly in the wrong in both cases, in my eyes. Swinging an elbow at a woman is never justified in that type of situation and nearly blasting her through the clue box is nothing to be proud of, either.

And I agree with loubob57 - if Luke was a hearing person and did the same things, I wouldn't fault the girls for laughing at him at the mat for being a little b!tch either - just game play and taunting for getting under his skin, not because he was deaf or signing.

8. Apr 20, 2009 #8 of 129
    tanyatnt

tanyatnt Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Cupertino, CA
    +1 on this ... I haven't really liked Luke on this race since he had the meltdown on the Chekhov clue and this didn't improve my opinion AT ALL. :thumbsdown:

9. Apr 20, 2009 #9 of 129
    wendiness1

wendiness1 WiiMomma

Jul 29, 2005
    Idunno
    I'm not a fan of either team, but this is my take on the incident(s):

First time, Luke was getting the clue when the other team came up from behind and shoved herself into the clue box. His reaction was perfectly to be expected from any other racer - to block her until he got his clue. I also keep in mind that, being hearing impaired, there is probably a bit more of a startling response in such a situation.

Second time, it sppeared intentional to me.

Laughing at the pit stop. Just plain nasty and mean. And I'll bet they aren't feeling too smug tonight when the editing revealed their real attitude.

Michael and Mark - they did manage to catch up somewhat. I was surprised they spent so much time on the shampooing. They really seemed to want to do a real job. I imagine most racers would have done some sort of "token" shampoo and hurried on.

The Asian siblings (still can't remember their names) had a serious advantage here language-wise. Smart move to stay with them as much as possible.

The red-heads - oh, yeah, all that cheerleading is a big help with choreography. They sure seemed to struggle with it.

No team here I'm really rooting for but the sister team has definately lost points with me.

10. Apr 20, 2009 #10 of 129
    gpejsa

gpejsa Active Member

Jan 27, 2002
    Hanover MD
    Great point on the potential for the deaf startle response. I hadn't thought about that and agree that it provides a reasonable rationale for Luke's initial response.

I agree too both sides of the fight share some blame, but at the end, the girls were laughing at Luke which was just mean.

It would have been nice if one of the groups stepped up and apologized for real and made nice...perhaps in the next episode!

11. Apr 20, 2009 #11 of 129
    Bierboy

Bierboy Seasoned gas passer

Jun 12, 2004
    Fishers, IN
    Actually, last night capped it off...I'm pretty sick and tired of ALL the remaining teams. This has not been a good or entertaining race :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:

12. Apr 20, 2009 #12 of 129
    VegasVic

VegasVic Craps Player

Nov 21, 2002
    The Craps Table
    This season started strongly with the cheese wheel but overall it hasn't been up to par.

13. Apr 20, 2009 #13 of 129
    IJustLikeTivo

IJustLikeTivo Active Member

Oct 3, 2001
    Gaithersburg...
    Oddly, I'm beginning to like Tammy and Victor more. Victor finally stopped being a whiny older brother ( mostly ) and they're doing pretty well.

I hadn't thought about Luke being startled due to his hearing but that makes sense. The girls may not have been laughing at Luke's deafness but they were laughing at him regardless so while a bit more understandable, still pretty rank. Additionally, as I said before, Luke's action at the clue box was pretty accidental, the second one was directly and deliberately precipitated by Jen. She planned to do it and she did. Margie was reacting like a mother not a teammate but I wouldn't expect that to be any other way.

14. Apr 20, 2009 #14 of 129
    caslu

caslu Active Member

Jun 24, 2003
    Lots of blame to go around on both sides of the push/shove argument - I really think it's just getting blown up due to the tensions that naturally come from a competitive situation like this.

As for the laughter, I've found myself laughing or smiling just like that in similarly tense situations. I really don't believe they were laughing at Luke's handicap. Luke and Margie are probably being a little thin skinned because of his past experiences and the tension of the current situation.

15. Apr 20, 2009 #15 of 129
    TonyTheTiger

TonyTheTiger Pro Troll Magnet

Dec 22, 2006
    Although I agree that both sides have to share some blame, it was the girls that started it. Jen clearly tried to intervene when Luke was getting the clue - and there's NEVER and excuse for calling a guy a b*tch!

Jen has been deliberate and calculating in her meanness all through the race and this capped it off. Luke is still young and, because of his deafness, has been over-protected to some degree (I'm sure any mother of a 'handicapped' child will tell you there's a natural tendancy to over-protect).

Anyway, without giving anything away, watching next week's preview, it looks like karma's the only b*tch in town! ;)

16. Apr 20, 2009 #16 of 129
    TheDewAddict

TheDewAddict tciddAweDehT

Aug 21, 2002
    Amsterdam,...
    In the car, Luke said something like "It's not cool to call a deaf person a *****." What does one have to do with another? Would it have been okay to call his Mom a *****? I fail to see what his deafness has to do with that.

It's cool that he's deaf, and he's running the race, and I have no issues with him talking about it in the context of the race, like when he mentioned at the dancing challenge that the clue said to "start dancing when the music begins," and how he would have no clue when the music began. But why does his being deaf mean nobody can call him a *****?

17. Apr 20, 2009 #17 of 129
    andyw715

andyw715 Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2007
    The dude is such a "Victim".

18. Apr 20, 2009 #18 of 129
    janry

janry New Member

Jan 2, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    He probably feels it's a cheap shot because they can call him names and he can't hear it to defend himself. But, I think he signed them some pretty bad names and they couldn't read sign to defend themselves, so same thing - different method.

Overall, just some immature actions by all around. Both teams should have received a penalty IMO.

19. Apr 20, 2009 #19 of 129
    Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey

Exactly. That's what struck me. It's not cool to call ANYONE a *****!! I personally would treat ANYONE the same, handicap or not. If you are a *****, then you are a *****. Don't give me a "we should be treated equally even though we are deaf" and then, "wah wah, I'm deaf, you shouldn't call me names because of it." And the mother to bring the sisters being "black so they should understand" into it, was totally wrong! Anyway, both were wrong, it was clear the sisters pushed first, but then he got physical with them back. It should be like a hockey fight, let them brawl it out, and then it's over :)

20. Apr 20, 2009 #20 of 129
    Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey

My son thought he grunted out the "f-bomb" after the one sister ran into him. I have to admit I missed that. And my son likes that team a lot more than I do.

As someone said, I find myself rooting for the brother-sister team more than the others now. First the girl is really cute LOL, and second, I just think they are playing the game better now that they stopped fighting. Loved it when the cheerleaders couldn't dance LOL. If was running, my first inclination would have been to dance, but after seeing it, I would have been wrong to choose that. They seemed to judge, much more "liberally" in the caligraphy