1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Am I restricted to only the pre-installed apps?

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by Disco_Stu, Jul 31, 2018.

1. Disco_Stu

Disco_Stu New Member

Jul 31, 2018
    I just installed a new Tivo Roamio. I was under the impression that I could load apps from the Opera store. However, with the new "Tivo Experience", there is no option to go to the store and download anything. Is this the way it is suppoed to work?

2. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Opera is now called Vewd.

3. Disco_Stu

Disco_Stu New Member

Jul 31, 2018
    But I can't get to that either...

4. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2018
  5. Disco_Stu

Disco_Stu New Member

Jul 31, 2018
  6. Disco_Stu

Disco_Stu New Member

Jul 31, 2018
    Oh, wait... I see now that VEWD App store is one of the pre-installed apps. I don't see the Google App in there, but I'll poke around for a while.

7. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Correct. If it's not installed, you can't install it. That's why I have a Roku and Android tablet.

rpiotro and kpeters59 like this.
  8. Disco_Stu

Disco_Stu New Member

Jul 31, 2018
    Turns out all of the VEWD apps are cloud based. They do not actually install on the Tivo. I guess I will hold on to my Roku.

JoeKustra likes this.
  9. Aug 5, 2018 #9 of 14
    CopRock

CopRock Member

Jul 13, 2014
    Thats one of the peeves with Tivo, one of many... by now after many years I'm sure many were expecting a type of AppStore where you could download the apps you want to your Tivo & Tivo makes no effort at reaching out to companies to get new ones.
    FFS there's an HBOgo but no HBOnow on OTA only units, and many Apps that have limited audience... ended up getting a succession of AppleTV's to fill the void that Tivo should've. Kinda sad.

10. Scooter Scott

Scooter Scott Member

Jun 1, 2015
    Yep I agree. TiVo had a great opportunity to make this an all in one box. I too switched to AppleTVs all around my house. Slowly looking at phasing out TiVo.

CopRock likes this.
  11. Bucket73521

Bucket73521 Member

Apr 29, 2017
    Yep, TiVo is outdated tablo is way ahead. Wish I had bought tablo instead of TiVo. I made the mistake because of dtv.

CopRock likes this.
  12. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    So the Tablo equivalent 4 tuner would be $299.99 plus $149.99 lifetime guide plus $50 for an external USB hard drive takes you up to $500 roughly versus the TiVo Roamio OTA at $399 and then you still need another device to display the output on the TV if you don't have a smart TV that supports the Tablo client? It looks like they only just recently supported 5.1 Surround Sound and I also don't see that Tablo supports any apps?

Not sure how I see Tablo is way ahead.

Scott

slowbiscuit likes this.
  13. Bucket73521

Bucket73521 Member

Apr 29, 2017
    TiVo only has OTA attached to one tv. Tablo can be watched on up to six devices. TiVo might be ok for cable tv, with only one tv.

CopRock likes this.
  14. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    Yes at least for the Roamio OTA, you would have had to buy the Stream (which you can only get used now) and Mini's for the remote TV's. The Bolt of course has streaming built-in but generally no the same cheaper price point as the Roamio OTA. I'd still take the Roamio OTA with a used Stream and Mini's over the Tablo.

Scott