Am I missing something?

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by photoshopgrl, Oct 17, 2017.

1. photoshopgrl

photoshopgrl Nerd Fashionista TCF Club

Nov 22, 2008
    Boring Ohio
    I feel like nobody is really talking about a lot of the shows I watch anymore. I don't see anyone talking about Lucifer or Brooklyn99 or even Mr Robot returning?? I guess I could start threads for them but it feels kind of pointless if nobody has after days of them airing. :(

2. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    Everyone is binging!

I talked about this a couple of times. Discussion around here is down, either because people watch on a very delayed schedule or binge.

I watch both those shows. B99 is still one of the funniest sitcoms on TV and Mr. Robot I STILL have a hard time figuring out what's going on, but still find it interesting. Don't watch Lucifer, sorry.

photoshopgrl likes this.
  3. photoshopgrl

Nov 22, 2008
    Boring Ohio
    I mean I stopped making Supernatural threads too because I have less interest in the show but there are others too. The Blacklist is back so is OUAT. No threads. Sigh. Everyone needs to catch up, I need something to occupy my time when I have downtime at work like now. Yall are not helping my day go faster and now I'm forced to return to Tumblr. :p

TIVO_GUY_HERE likes this.
  4. Steveknj

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    I'm way behind, but I always get behind in October because of the baseball playoffs. I'm also going away for a week at the beginning of November, so that will put me even more behind. I expect to catch up sometime between Thanksgiving and New Years when TV is slow.

5. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    I think a show's thread participation decreases the longer a show is on the air.

I'd join in if there were Mr. Robot or Dirk Gently threads but my only contributions would mostly just be "WTF happened in this episode?"

6. Hcour

Hcour Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2007
    I feel your pain, sorta. I wait until the season is over and marathon all my shows (Survivor being the one exception), so by the time I'm ready to discuss them, even if there is a thread, the interest has pretty much waned and any comments I make I'm pretty much talking to moiself.

stellie93 and pendragn like this.
  7. ClutchBrake

ClutchBrake Pass the gravy!

Sep 5, 2001
    Orange...
    I can't wait to binge Dirk Gently!!!

8. Steveknj

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    Yep, that's exactly the "problem" and why discussion has gone down. I think shows like Survivor or BB tend to stay active because people tend to watch them within a few days of the episode, but there are lots more folks like you who just binge whole seasons. I'm still old school and I try and watch week by week, but I am thankful for my DVR so I can save up episodes during October when my TV viewing is per-occupied with baseball.

9. milo99

milo99 Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Falls...
    i was thinking the same thing (as the OP). But then i stop and think about what shows i'd really care about a thought out discussion, and i'm not really sure any more. The Americans hasn't started its season yet. that's probably the most discussion worthy one i watch. But Blacklist, Big Bang, Modern Family, The Flash, etc ....not much to talk about any more.

Lucifer though i do watch and could have an interesting thread.

10. Steveknj

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    I was thinking of a few shows I watch now that discussion would be fun, such as Designated Survivor, Madame Secretary and a few others.

11. photoshopgrl

Nov 22, 2008
    Boring Ohio
    Yeah I guess you're right about the fact that a lot of people don't watch shows as they air. I have been guilty in the past of doing this with shows that were not my absolute favorites. I guess I just got caught up this year before new seasons started so the lack of threads is more noticeable for me this time.

12. jsmeeker

jsmeeker Notable Member TCF Club

Apr 2, 2001
    Dallas
    I sometimes let stuff pile up before watching. Like say Gotham. But no one seems to watch that show any more.

Seems like unless it's star trek or big bang theory, no thread shows up right away

13. allan

allan Just someone TCF Club

Oct 13, 2002
    I try to watch close to the show time, but I futz around with other stuff, and I'm behind on quite a bit. Caught up on Supergirl and Gifted this week, but barely got to last week's Flash, and still haven't seen Legends or Designated Survivor.

14. rharmelink

rharmelink Active Member

Nov 30, 2015
    photoshopgrl likes this.
  15. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    tim1724, lalouque and photoshopgrl like this.
  16. rharmelink

rharmelink Active Member

Nov 30, 2015
    It can be. I use the RSS feeds to notify me of new topics for specific groups, so it all comes to my mailbox (just like posts from this group).

17. UTV2TiVo

UTV2TiVo Well-Known Member TCF Club

Feb 2, 2005
    Sacramento...
    I was surprised there was no thread for the Mr. Robot season premiere.

18. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    If you build it, they will come..

start threads..

19. robojerk

robojerk Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Laguna Hills CA
    The only shows I've been discussing at the moment is Star Trek: Discovery, Orville, and The Good Place.

Mr Robot was good, but I felt they set things up so clearly well, yet left the path to where they pointed to so ambiguous that I didn't have much to say. Everyone will be lying to Elliot, technically even us since we saw Angela and "Mr Robot" conspire against him.

Once Stranger Things comes back in in 10 days everything else will likely get put on hold until that the wife and I are done with that.

kettledrum likes this.
  20. Worf

Worf Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2000
    Lots of people discuss the shows as they air. However, the venue is not forums like this - it's social media. Twitter is an especially big discussion area and for the big name shows, can be hard to navigate without getting spoiled. It's also why many services intentionally delay online streaming of shows until the next day - it makes those feel "out of it" when what they want to discuss has been hashed out in a million tweets the night before.

Because of the nature of these forums, people generally binge on shows.

Sports is a particularly big one for social media.