Am I Missing Something? - Using Guide To Search

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by boulderskies, Jan 22, 2017.

1. boulderskies

boulderskies Member

Aug 23, 2013

Advertisements

I'm a bit new at this so please forgive me. But I've run across such a gap in the user experience of TiVO, that I keep thinking it must be me.

Say you simply want to watch TV and you want to search channels using the Guide. Cool, no problem. So, I go to Guide, hit Enter and type in key words or whatever. If I find something, how the hell do I go to that channel without typing in the channel digits?

For example, say I want to go to the Weather Channel and unlike all avid TV watchers everywhere, I have no idea what channel its on (this is true). From TiVO Central (or whatever its called), I select Guide on my remote, hit Enter on my remote and type in "Wea." Weather Channel is a choice on the right side. Unfortunately I cant select it directly. I can do a whole lot of other BS, but I cant actually watch it without entering the channel numbers.

Am I missing something?

Thanks for any help...
    Scott

2. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I wish I knew what you were missing. When I hit Guide, then Enter (that's on the bottom of the remote), and enter WEATHER C I have TWC on the right side. I move there and hit Select and it tunes the channel. I never use channel numbers unless I want to override my channel selections in the Channel List. A better example for me would be MSNBC, since I only need to hit MS to have it show as an option.

I find that there are three types of channels: those I always watch or record, those I seldom watch or record, and those I would never watch or record. So for my "Favorites" I use a thumbs up and set my guide to display "Favorites". Should I want to switch to something strange, like C-SPAN, I set the guide to "My Channels" and then C-SPAN shows on the guide and I can select it. I pay for 240 channels. I have 50 in "My Channels" and 19 in my Favorites.

Please note that the logo for TWC HD is showings as HSN right now. The ability to select a channel from Search is new as of about 1/1/2017 also.

3. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    Another option is to change your guide to sort by channel name and you can scroll to it.

Also make sure you are picking the one that has the live icon next to it in the search results. Otherwise, you are picking shows.

4. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Perhaps the OP was not aware that once the show list appears in the right column, you need to move over to it by using the right arrow of the select dial, and then select it and proceed?

5. boulderskies

boulderskies Member

Aug 23, 2013

Advertisements

Thank you! I will try simply moving to the right, sometime today. I could swear that when I tried that, I got a menu with 3 or 4 options, like GO, Record, Stand on My Head, or something....I dont remember being able to highlight the actual item on the right, like Weather...but I'll try again and let you know...Scott

6. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I have never used Search to move to a channel. You will save a lot of time by just making a guide that reflects your viewing habits. But whatever makes you happy. I even use the grid guide. I'm old. :)

7. V7Goose

V7Goose OTA ONLY and Loving It!

May 28, 2005
    New Mexico...
    I ONLY use the grid guide - if it doesn't look like it did in the old Sunday Paper, I ain't gonna look at it!

JoeKustra likes this.
  8. boulderskies

boulderskies Member

Aug 23, 2013
    Just tried it, here's what happens: From TiVO Central, I hit Guide on the remote, Enter, enter in a few letters (in this case Wea), select Weather Center on right, and I get another box on left, Get This Show, Upcoming, Bonus Features, If You Like...None of these takes me to the actual channel.

What am I missing?

9. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    You have selected the worst possible way to select a channel for viewing. Perhaps having to enter the channel number is worse, perhaps not. Like I posted, your method was not even possible last year. Please go through your channel list. Uncheck those you will never watch. Give a thumbs up to those you will always watch. Select the guide. Hit the "A" option. Select Channels: Favorites. Hit "A" again.

Now to pick a channel, hit guide. Scroll to the channel. Hit select.

But if this is too easy, enter "WEATHER C" and you will find the channel. Hit "CBS" and find CBS. But please reconsider. And Weather Center is a program, not a channel. You're getting that message today because Weather Center is only on Monday through Friday.

10. boulderskies

boulderskies Member

Aug 23, 2013
    Is there a place I can read how to do this so I dont have to bother people on here?

To "go thru my channel list and uncheck those I'll never watch, I tried, using Guide, sort, filter, etc. I can find any place to check or thumbs up channels.

My apologies-I am not this dense.

Scott

11. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    It's ok. Nobody starts out knowing everything and a TiVo has a lot of options.

From TiVo Central: Settings & Messages->Settings->Channels->Channel List. I have my SD channels first, so they get unchecked. I haven't said this before. Page Down or Up is done with the Channel Up/Down button. So you scroll up the list of channels until you are done or just go Left all the way out. There is no "save" option: what you do is done and stays until you change it.

If you have a Roamio: http://assets.tivo.com/assets/resources/HowTo/RoamioSeries_VG_r4_April2016.pdf [I've never read it]

12. UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    That kind of begs the question. One can have a dozen or two favorites, but all of a sudden he finds he needs to find a channel that he never watches. So, he wants a quick way to get to that channel in the guide.

Mikeguy likes this.
  13. boulderskies

boulderskies Member

Aug 23, 2013
    Exactly.

And all I wanted to do was find the Weather Channel (that's how its colloquially known ) and watch it. Seriously.o_O And when a relatively intelligent human cant do that easily, isnt something off?

Not a rant, just an observation. I will try again, and report back...

Again, thanks.
    Scott

14. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I sometimes select "All" in the guide to check on a channel I would never watch. With all the guide problems I like to help. Anyhow, if I wanted to find a network and its channel, I can even make a printout from my feed's web site: Service Electric Cablevision | Channel Lineup

I'd like to meet the person who decided that adding channels/networks to the Search function was a good idea. And why that person didn't include streaming services.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2017
  15. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    The problem was you were picking a show (Weather Center) and not the channel. You can either enter more characters to actually find the Weather Channel channel (or TWC works here for our lineup to find it with fewer characters). Or if you hit C until it shows Show (Watch Now), it will also show up in the list with fewer characters.

Scott

Mikeguy likes this.
  16. Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    This method will work, and give you an option to go to the channel, if you've searched for a show that currently is on. If it's not on, you're only given scheduling options.

Personally, I've never searched for a channel this way--I simply page down in the Guide 'til I get to what I want. Or, when in the Guide, type in the channel number or near to it, and the Guide jumps to that section in a moment.

17. Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    Well, thank you for bringing this up: I never knew that the Guide has the ability to search for a channel--I've only searched for shows. But as HerronScott notes above, you "just" need to make sure, if you're searching for a channel, that you actually are selecting the channel in the center pane and not a show on the channel which is not currently on (see my comment above).

For example, I just searched for "ABC" and got a long list in the center pane; however, if I scroll down that kinda/sorta alpha list, at the end of the section for shows starting with "ABC" (lots of ABC news shows), I get a listing for my local ABC affiliate, and there's a message in the right-hand pane saying that if I want to go to that channel, simply press Select--and voilĂ , I'm there!

And so a way to deal with the situation above, where you want to go to a station but don't know its channel no. but know the station name. Of course, another way: search for a show you know is on the station and use that to find the channel no. (or, as I mentioned above, if the show currently is on, you'll have the option to switch to it live).

I can't see my doing this often--too much work. I think I still would try scanning through the Guide. But, as noted above, if I couldn't find the channel in the Guide listing or if the Guide was way long and complex, or if my Guide was set to Favorites, I can see doing a search.

Thanks for the education!
    See my comment above--I'm kinda liking that it's there! :) An alternate way to find something, esp. when other methods aren't working. And I no doubt will need all the search capacity available to me as my mind continues dwindling . . . .

Last edited: Jan 22, 2017
    wtherrell likes this.
  18. UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    Do you guys have smart phones or tablets? They are so much better for doing your TiVo stuff. You have a keyboard! You don't have to stop what your watching to do housekeeping. On the iOS app, there's a channel search box right on the guide screen. Input a few letters and voila.

19. Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    Well, lo and behold: using the channel search method in the Guide, I finally was able to find where in heaven's name QVC and HSN (TV shopping networks/channels) had gotten to--an earlier manual search ended me up at an Asian-language sub-channel of some type, and I don't speak any non-Western languages. Now I have something to do when I wake up at 3 a.m. ;)

20. Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    Thanks--was going to search on my tablet, but doing it through the Guide actually was pretty easy (and then I can go to the channel immediately), once I knew to do it, of course. ;) And the entire time, my current show still was playing on the Roamio's picture-in-picture. :)