Am I Entitled a Refund???

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by orion, Jan 10, 2006.

1. orion

orion New Member

Oct 6, 2002

Advertisements

I've had dolby audio problems with the HR10-250 since it was installed on 12/31/05. If you want details of the actual problem: http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=279594

They sent a tech out to troubleshoot the problem. He spent 5 minutes out here, heard the problem and said i need a new box. They sent me a replacement (refurb) unit today. The problem is worse than the previous box. I called customer retention asking for a refund of the box as well as cancelling my HD service. He said he'll see what he can do and is supposed to call me back, but he said they do not give refunds once the unit is installed. I think that's total crap since the unit never worked properly since day 1.

I'm tired of trying to troubleshoot the problem. I've wasted over a days worth of time speaking with both non-technical and technical CSRs, not to mention installers and technicians that never show up on time. What should I be entitled to?
    :mad: :mad: :mad:

2. TheBigDogs

TheBigDogs Member

Oct 14, 2004
    It depends on where you live and how you made the purchase. If you live in California and several other states, there is a component of the commercial code called merchantability. This simply means that the product must do what it is represented to do. Since the unit obviously doesn't meet that standard, you should be able to get a refund.

If you made the purchase with a credit card, you might be able to get your card provider to help with the refund.

I see two potential problems with your situation: 1. There appears to be a substantial amount of additional equipment associated with receiving the audio signal, the potential for any of those components or cables to be a cause of the problem hinders your claim, and; 2. You probably signed the installation acceptance - that says everything was in acceptable working order at the point of installation.

Keep pressing and good luck.

3. EMoMoney

EMoMoney Big and Tall

Oct 30, 2001
    Abingdon,...
    Absolutely. I had a similar situation when My OTA was installed. The installer could only get a weak signal on CBS, and no signal on anything else. WHen I called D*, they told me they could not guarantee reception on the OTA, and that I was not entitled to a refund. I told them that I completely understood they could not guarantee reception, but I was not paying $50 for an OTA that could only pick up a single station.

Your situation is a little different as it deals with the unit itself. I would recommend calling retention back and asking them for a partial refund for the refurbished unit. You bought a new unit expecting it to work, and it didn't. So, you are entitled to at least a partial refund for not receiving what you paid for. I do not think you are entitled to a refund of the entire price if the refurbished unit works.

4. orion

orion New Member

Oct 6, 2002
    Thanks for the replies so far. Couple of comments:

1) If it were the cables, how do we explain that the DVD player works fine using the same optical cable. AND the SD dolby broadcast from the HR10-250 works fine as well. It's just the HD dolby broadcasts that have the problem.

2) The refurb box does NOT work. I may end up trying a 3rd box but my hunch tells me that a new HR10-250 is not going to fix it. I'm wondering if Mpeg4 will help.