Am I being unreasonable? TiVo won't transfer service

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by lkinley, Oct 28, 2016.

1. lkinley

lkinley Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Poulsbo, WA

Advertisements

Long-time TiVo subscriber here -- over 14.5 years since I got my first one, a Series 1.

I just bought a Bolt+ with the intention of changing the service number on my plan for my trusty, but obsolete, OLED S3. I researched ahead of time and found this: upload_2016-10-28_14-0-32.png

The last row says if my plan is not listed (it isn't), I can transfer to ANY TiVo DVR. So when I tried that (the option is available in my account information), it failed. I then called TiVo and tried to get them to do it. They won't, even after escalation to a supervisor. According to them, a Bolt+ requires a new $14.99 plan.

I find this incredibly frustrating given the following:
    - Feeling misled as the transfer my service page clearly states I should be able to transfer (and I have transferred service in the past)
    - I've been a faithful customer for 14+ years
    - My lifetime Series 1 was deactivated without compensation because I hadn't plugged it in Jan-June
    - My Series 3 OLED needs replacing due to MPEG4 transition (not TiVo's fault, I know)
    - Flakey guide data as of late
    - Just paid $500 for a Bolt+

The TiVo rep was very nice but was unable to help beyond telling me "I can't do that."

If I'd known I would be forced to a new, more expensive plan I wouldn't have bothered. At this point I'm disenfranchised enough to consider canceling my existing units and returning the Bolt+. TiVo sure doesn't seem to value their long time customers.

2. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    You're missing an important piece of data, what existing plan did you have?
    If it's Lifetime then no, it doesn't transfer, never has except for several very limited offers in the past.

3. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    What plan do you have that you're trying to transfer?

4. lkinley

lkinley Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Poulsbo, WA
    I don't know what it is called, but it is whatever was available when I got the S3. $6.95 a month, no MSD required.

5. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale

Advertisements

That's not lifetime.

6. UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    I think the clue here is that none of the monthly plans except the most costly can be transferred. I don't know why you would think that a very cheap plan would be transferable. Further, the wording implies that if a transfer is not available, it won't work.

7. lkinley

lkinley Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Poulsbo, WA
    The page clearly says "My plan is not listed here" and "Log into My Account and click on Change service number".
    My plan is not listed and the option to change service number exists under My Account and my TiVo S3 plan.
    The error it displays after I enter the new TSN is "This cannot be done online." So I called.

I've done this before... When I bought my Premiere 6 years ago, I transferred it to the plan my second S1 was on. It was a 6.95 plan, although that one was MSD.

I understand now that this appears to be not what TiVo intended, but the transfer page is nonetheless misleading. TiVo should clarify on this page: https://support.tivo.com/articles/Features_Use/How-to-Transfer-TiVo-Service-to-a-New-TiVo-DVR

If you google "transfer tivo service", this page is the second result and that's how I got there.

8. UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    I agree, the page is poorly crafted, but again, you should have been suspicious about other even more expensive plans being not transferable.

9. lkinley

lkinley Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Poulsbo, WA
    Why should I have been suspicious? I don't even know what "more expensive plans" you are talking about.

To me, that table looks pretty self explanatory. I have a 12.95 plan that can only be transferred to Roamio/Premiere. My 6.95 plan isn't listed, and that falls under the last option. I assumed because it was old and not listed, it must have been grandfathered.

10. lew

lew Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2002
    What am I missing? The last option tells you to log into your account. If the option to transfer service isn't shown then you can't transfer.

Call tivo and ask for a RMA. Mention the issue with mpeg4 stations and your unit. Ask what unit will they give it sell you which will allow you to retain your subscription price

11. lkinley

lkinley Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Poulsbo, WA
    The option to transfer IS SHOWN. That's my whole point: it is there. It just doesn't work when I enter the new TSN.

It's obvious (now) that what I am trying to do is not allowed. My complaint stems from the page being misleading, or at the very least, unclear. My frustration is from buying the Bolt+ with the expectation that I would be able to swap it into the plan just as I've done in the past.

I either have to pony up or return it.

12. moonscape

moonscape Member

Jul 3, 2004
    SF Bay Area
    I understand you're disappointed, but you've lost nothing.

13. thyname

thyname Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2010
    N. Virginia
    Don't you think you should have done the homework and called TiVo to explore transfer options BEFORE you bought Bolt+?

14. lew

lew Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2002
    YES YOU ARE BEING UNREASONABLE. You read the chart wrong. It showed the option to transfer. The last column tells you if the transfer is allowed, or not. In your case it didn't say allowed, or not allowed. It told you to log on and check. I understand you didn't read it completely.

You're sort of asking the wrong question. Tivo was making deals to customers who lost channels due to mp4 conversion by cable companies. You should call and see what tivo will do for you. They may give you a Premiere or Roamio and let you keep your monthly rate. T

15. convergent

convergent Active Member

Jan 3, 2007
    Raleigh, NC
    And clearly the OP knows about this site... this has been discussed at length on here on a regular basis. I think if you were active on this site for a week you'd pick up on the fact that plans mostly follow the machine, not the account owner.

16. lkinley

lkinley Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Poulsbo, WA
    LOL, thanks for your honesty, but you're not reading my post correctly. I did log in and check and the option IS THERE for me to transfer my service from my S3. I hadn't bought the TiVo yet, so I had no TSN to enter into the form. It was only when I had the TiVo in hand and I entered its new TSN into the form that I got the failure message. As I've already said, I've done this very sort of transfer successfully before.

As for deals related to the MP4 conversion: I didn't want a Roamio or Premiere. If I was going to spend money on a new unit then I wanted the Bolt+. I tend to keep these for a long time and it doesn't make sense to buy an older generation unit. That being said, it probably makes way more sense for me to get All-in and ditch the monthly payment.

Thanks for you input, everyone. Case closed.

17. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    That chart shows that you *can't* transfer a $12.95 plan to a Roamio or Premiere. This includes MSD which I thought that's what the $6.95 plans were? It looks to me like this chart just hasn't been updated to include the Bolt models.

Scott

18. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    IIRC there was an announcement by TiVo staff when the Roamio was released that they would no longer allow transfer of the legacy MSD $6.95/12.95 plans to the new hardware. That policy continued with the Bolt.

In any case you made an assumption based on a poorly worded web chart rather then actually calling to ask, or even asking here first. Had you done either you would have known this wasn't going to work before you bought the Bolt+. Now you have the option of either returning the Bolt+ or accepting the price of the new plan.

19. Series3Sub

Series3Sub Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2010
    You did ask if you were being unreasonable, and he answered that question you posed.

20. Series3Sub

Series3Sub Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2010
    Yeah, those terms from any company can be confusing or lacking in detail, that is why I always call and check or confirm what was in writing. Sometimes a CSR says something that may not be so, but in this case, the CSR could check to see if the system (computer system) would allow it. This situation is really about the value of double-checking and triple-checking and getting the info from differnt sources at the company and even here on this forum BEFORE spending a dime on expensive equipment based on either an assumption or clearly confusing or poorly worded terms by TiVo. And if I felt, as the OP does, that the written terms don't quite make sense to me, I would've certainly NOT spent the dough until I was CLEAR on what TiVo would do regarding this situation.

I may not think the OP is being unreasonable, but he did commit the mistake, and that is all on the OP for not doing a proper investigation of what plan he would be saddled with or if any plans could be transferred, especially since he found the terms confusing from the start. At that point, things are on hold before any money spent until correct informatino can be obtained. Sometimes poor research just means you have to eat the loss. Buyer Beware! I wonder if the OP's spouse or family and friends ask why he did not do more investigation for the correct info. Probably so.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2016