Am I alone in my Humax frequent hanging problem? Lifetime decision..

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by jkeegan, Sep 13, 2006.

1. jkeegan

jkeegan Active Member

Oct 16, 2000
    Methuen,...

Advertisements

Hey,

Right before they ended the lifetime subscription I went out and bought a Humax DVD-burner TiVo (despite some comments here about video quality, etc). Since that day, it's been a huge problem. It frequently hangs - completely locked up - where I have to power cycle the machine to get it to work again.

It seems to also hose the ethernet hub it's connected to at times like that.. When I disconnect it from the hub, normal ethernet access is restored to other machines on the hub.

Has anyone else had these hanging problems with the Humax? Even my hacked Series1 TiVos run for months upon months in a row (if not longer). I can't remember the last time I rebooted my TiVo-branded plain series2 box..

The problem just went up in importance, since I have to decide which of my 4 TiVos (all of which have lifetimes) to sacrifice lifetime on to transfer to the new HD model. My two Series1's are solid rocks, and easily house two drives with no heat issues, etc.. Then again, they're just Series1's.. My TiVo-branded series2 is solid too, but I haven't bothered touching it, so it's small.

No one needs 5 TiVos (I don't even need 4, and with a two-tuner HD TiVo maybe not even 3), so I won't be paying any monthly subscription in a year to keep one of these alive.. So I'm basically deciding which TiVo to lose..

The DVD-burning/playing feature is nice, but honestly we haven't burned a single DVD yet - we just play DVDs.. And my Xbox 360's DVD playing ability is very good.. The fact that it's rebooting isn't helping..

2. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    the 7.3.1 update seems to have very much effected Humax DVD TiVo DVRs. Now you have the dliema of waiting for the 7.3.2 update vs buying the S3 and transferring lifetime.

if you are so inclined you might find replacing the hard drive in the HUMAX can help the problem but that is not a sure fix either.

You are right it is a pickle. Are either of your S1s the type that can do manual recording if they lose the subscription?

3. tai-pan

tai-pan New Member

Feb 9, 2006
    semi-rural GA
    I haven't had any problems with my DRT400 since the 7.3 upgrade. I really like the ability to burn DVD-RW's for family members.

4. jkeegan

jkeegan Active Member

Oct 16, 2000
    Methuen,...
    They're early, but not that early.. (at least I don't think so - I never cared much since I knew they had lifetime on them).

There's a nostalgia aspect there too - tivomain and tivohack (my tivo1 and tivo2) have been with us for a long time, and have been through many upgrades and drives.. All of my thumbs-preferences are on tivo1 too (well, they were also copied to tivo2 after a drive failure).. That contains a list of most of the movies I've ever seen (after countless walks through "all the movies showing during the next 10 days" to rate movies).

Then again, having most of my TiVos (we'd use 4, tops, if that) be Series2 would theoretically be nice because of being able to move shows around with the built-in supported interface (even if there is drm on it).. and having folders on all would be nice too..

Ugh.. I hate this decision (but I'm glad at least I get to make it..)..

Yeah we originally justified it to ourselves because we thought we'd record kids shows on it and burn them to DVD for the DVD player in the car.. but it turns out there are enough kids DVDs that the kids already watch that we haven't bothered.. As for recording for other family or friends, all of our relatives now have TiVos of their own, and for friends we haven't had any recordings that we needed to share on that box.. The biggest disappointment initially (pre-purchase) was hearing that once a show had been transfered (even within your own home) from one TiVo to another, that you couldn't burn it.. Most of our shows are recorded on other TiVos - so we'd only be able to burn the ones that happened to be on tivo4 (the Humax).