Always Sunny - "Frank's Brother" - 10/13/11

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by mrdazzo7, Oct 16, 2011.

1. mrdazzo7

mrdazzo7 Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2006
    Easily one of the worst episodes they've ever done. Painfully unfunny topic, no legitimate comedy, and worst of all, centered around Devito.

I didn't like the addition of Devito in season two but after watching a seaosn two episode the other day on Comedy Central, I totally yearn for those times... I don't know who thought it would be funny to turn Frank into a literal troll, but for me, it absolutely kills the whole show. He's so repulsive and foul that it crosses from "it's like a car accident, you can't look away!" (which is what the character had going for him early on) to straight up "this is so unpleasant that I no longer want to watch it".

I get the character of Frank the beginning--he had a lot of money, raised kids, etc and then had a midlife crisis and started living like a 20 year old for the first time. Fine. But he's devolved into.... something that doesn't strike me as funny or entertaining. Just gross. I can't remember many other instances in my long TV viewing career where I actually genuinely wanted a fictional character to run a comb through their hair.

And, probably the worst, is that they seem to be relying on "frank eating stuff" humor in every single episode, and something about that makes my stomach turn. Watching him pound cold cuts in his mouth or eat vienna sausages from his pocket or shovel a half eaten steak before it goes in the trash... Comedy??

Anyway, rant over. I'm only ranting because watching these re-runs of the early years has reminded me how much this season isn't doing it for me. It's ok, but the more they shoehorn Devito into every story, the worse it is.

2. justen_m

justen_m Cheesehead

Jan 14, 2004
    Boise, ID
    Worst episode that I can remember. I don't like Frank. This episode was all Frank, and the gang just sat there and listened to his horrible stories. Ugh.

3. Ment

Ment Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2008
    People's...
    Frank should be seasoning not a whole course. A face full of pepper this was.

4. Hoffer

Hoffer Eat Lightning ----- Poo Thunder TCF Club

Jun 1, 2001
    Twin Cities, MN
    I like Frank, but I did not like this episode.

5. Amnesia

Amnesia The Question

Jan 30, 2005
    Boston, MA
    I did like seeing Lance Reddick in the episode, though. I recognized his voice in the early part, but couldn't recognize him in character. I kept on wondering if it was really him...but of course, the Black Panther erased all doubt...

6. Swirl_Junkie

Swirl_Junkie New Member

Mar 11, 2001
    Philly, PA
    If Devito wouldn't have come do the show, it would have been canceled. The were on the fence until he signed on.

The League is the new Sunny.

7. uncdrew

uncdrew Annie 2.0

Aug 6, 2002
    Down South
    Yeah, Frank works in small doses. More than that and it kind of sucks (IMHO).

Love the gang. The four. Love when they focus on Sweet Dee or Mac or Charlie. Some of those episode 1 and 2 were such funny stuff.

8. Anubys

Anubys All About Footwork

Jul 16, 2004
    Fairfax...
    every time I hear (or read) "sweet Dee", I get a huge smile on my face :)

9. Nov 4, 2011 #9 of 10
    bigrig

bigrig ∞ ↔ ∞ ↔ ∞ ↔ ∞ ↔ ∞

Jul 1, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Huh, I got a lot of laughs out of this one! Mostly because they threw a wig on DeVito and acted like he looked really young. "Is he old enough to drive?" And "Shadynasty's" was a good visual joke.

10. Amnesia

Amnesia The Question

Jan 30, 2005
    Boston, MA
    BTW: Charlie is hosting this week's SNL...