Always keep a maximum number of episodes...

Discussion in 'TiVo Series 1 - UK' started by boringgit, Sep 23, 2007.

1. boringgit

boringgit New Member

Jan 20, 2007
    Really hope somebody can answer this for me as it is really irritating me!!

There are a few programmes I always like to have on the Tivo just as a bit of no brainer watching, stuff like the Simpsons, Top Gear, a couple of foodie progs etc..

Now what I am sure I have seen Tivo do in the past is to record 5 episodes of a programme, then just stop and not record anymore until I delete one of the existing ones.

What is actually happening is that every night I am recording another episode of the Simpsons, and the oldest one is deleted. The same thing seems to happen on both wishlists and season passes...

If anybody has any ideas as to how I can make it do what I want I would appreciate - for info I have a cachecard and am using TWP.

TIA!

2. RWILTS

RWILTS New Member

Apr 21, 2006
    Cardiff
    I think the answer is to also set them to save until i delete , and then when the five are recorded and kept no more will be recorded and you wont loose any,

I wait to be corrected

3. boringgit

boringgit New Member

Jan 20, 2007
    That sounds eminently sensible ;)

Thanks, gonna try now!

4. ...coolstream

...coolstream New Member

Dec 9, 2005
    SCOTLAND
    Surely that should read:

select save until I delete and then you will be able to keep and record as many as you want

5. blindlemon

blindlemon tivoheaven.co.uk

May 12, 2002
    Malmesbury, UK
    Change the "keep at most" value on the Season Pass or Wishlist from 5 to "all" :)

6. RWILTS

RWILTS New Member

Apr 21, 2006
    Cardiff
    " A little knowledge is a dangerous thing " :)

School boy mistake, but in my defence I refuse to record every episode because my drive would be full of Eastenders , Corri , Emmerdale and Hollyoak , SWMBO loves Tivo but seems unable to make room for my programmes by deleting anything.

7. boringgit

boringgit New Member

Jan 20, 2007
    OK...

Didn't work. I just deleted about 30 episodes of Top Gear - about 15 were marked as not to be deleted, the other 15 were old yellow dots. Got about 20 episodes of the Simpsons I'm gonna cull shortly...

Is it possible that the season pass got screwed up because it was created / modified using TWP rather than the Tivo regular interface?

8. RWILTS

RWILTS New Member

Apr 21, 2006
    Cardiff
    Not sure i understand what didnt work? Did you set it to 'keep until i delete' and also 'record ALL' and if so what physically happened ?

9. boringgit

boringgit New Member

Jan 20, 2007
    Naah,

I had record at maximum 5 episodes, and as you say keep until I delete.

But I got a lot more than 5...

10. mikerr

mikerr TiVoCentral.co.uk

Jun 2, 2005
    Lancashire, UK
    I've seen this behaviour too.

I tried changing to Keep-until-I-delete and keep-at-most as 3 episodes,
    and I ended up with many more than 3...

So I deleted the exising shows in now-playing, deleted the season pass, and recreated it. Works fine then.

i.e. It records 3 episodes, then stops, and won't record any more until you have deleted one.
    This has the advantage of not tying up the scheduler recording new eps too...

11. boringgit

boringgit New Member

Jan 20, 2007
    Dammit - I work in IT, I spend all day telling people to turn it off then on again and somebody had to suggest what is in effect the same thing to me ;)

Cheers - will give it a go!