Alton Brown: "Feasting on Asphalt" begins 7/29

Discussion in 'Season Pass Alerts' started by pdhenry, Jul 24, 2006.

1. pdhenry

pdhenry Ruthless

Feb 27, 2005
    PA

Advertisements

The first episode of Alton Brown's "Feasting on Asphalt" has scrolled in the TiVo programming guide. I set up my Season's Pass last night.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/show_ab

What is Feasting on Asphalt?
    Alton Brown’s cross-country search for the nation’s best road food.

Where is Alton Brown going?
    Georgia, Missouri, Kansas, Oklahoma, Texas, New Mexico, Utah, Nevada, California and more.

How is he going to get there?
    On a motorcycle. "Why a motorcycle? As far as I’m concerned, there’s no better way to experience the road than from the back of a bike. Being exposed to the elements presents thrills and challenges alike, most of which can’t be captured in a ‘cage’ (that’s what motorcycle people call cars)," says Alton.

What will Alton eat?
    Every kind of road food available--from foraging in the forest (grubs are great protein) to camp cooking (think Lewis and Clark) to diners, truck stops and even the corporate fast food chains. Alton also intends to eat (and cook) in nifty regional joints, churches, community centers, VFW halls, RV parks and the homes of folks nice enough to offer a weary traveler a meal.

2. cheerdude

cheerdude Reed & Juliet's CPA

Feb 27, 2001
    Las Vegas, NV
    Thanks for the reminder - SP set!

3. jsmeeker

jsmeeker Notable Member TCF Club

Apr 2, 2001
    Dallas
    I need to go set the SP for this. It will be in the guide data now.

4. kdelande

kdelande TiVo-Wobble

Dec 17, 2001
    Louisville,...
    Many thanks for the reminder, SP set (remotely!)

KD

5. bengalfreak

bengalfreak Active Member

Oct 20, 2002

Advertisements

I believe that the show has been dramatically shortened due to a wreck Alton had while filming the show. I think its only 6 episodes or so.

6. lambertman

lambertman With an "L"

Dec 20, 2002
    Indianapolis...
    Right before the premiere of FoA, don't miss "Good Eats: Behind the Eats." your "Good Eats" SP isn't going to pick it up.

7. cheerdude

Feb 27, 2001
    Las Vegas, NV
    Thanks Chris - Man, I am really using (and liking) TiVo Central Online!

8. balboa dave

balboa dave well rounded

Jan 19, 2004
    Newport...
    The irony is that accident changed the title from one of his usual bad puns to the literal truth. :D

9. cheerdude

Feb 27, 2001
    Las Vegas, NV
    Per Wikipedia

10. bengalfreak

bengalfreak Active Member

Oct 20, 2002
    So does that mean there are only four episodes total?

11. pdhenry

pdhenry Ruthless

Feb 27, 2005
    PA
    According to the episode guide, yes.

12. jsmeeker

Apr 2, 2001
    Dallas
    season pass set!!

looking forward to this..

13. yukit

yukit Member

Jul 23, 2005
    Speaking of new shows on Food Network, every showing of Throwdown with Bobby Flay seems to be recorded even though it is set to record "first run only" in SP.

I guess I should just get rid of it from the SP since my "Suggestions" is recording pretty much everything on Food Network.

14. jasoncarr

jasoncarr New Member

May 2, 2002
    When I read this I figured he would be on a BMW Boxer; he's exactly the type. So I taped the premiere and there was the oilhead in all it's glory...

15. tedder

tedder Irregular

Jan 9, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    But what are the other bikes with him? I'm guessing two R12GSes, based on the headlights and the Zega cases. Not very sure about the third.

Certainly all boxers; Alton started on a SV650 before moving to the R1100RT.

16. sbelmont

sbelmont Member

Jul 4, 2004
    Bakersfield, CA
    Noticed the same thing. I've seen this before too. Set to keep on 1 episode and keep until you delete. Then delete the episode the day before the new episode is shown (Thursday).

17. jasoncarr

jasoncarr New Member

May 2, 2002
    ...and whats' with the GPS coords they post? Proports to be in Deg/Min/Sec format but the Secs are frequently > 60. Whassup with that?

I'm building a gpx file of the stops, with his wonky coords and my guesses as to where they actually should be. Will post the url a bit later.

18. jsmeeker

Apr 2, 2001
    Dallas
    maybe it was made up? Or maybe, the seconds were'nt actuall seconds, rather it was hundredths of a minute?

I dunno. I've never had the need to use the lat/long coordinates while using a GPS. Although I know my TomTom Go can display them, and I can select from a few different formats.

19. jasoncarr

jasoncarr New Member

May 2, 2002
    Could be. But it was as xxDeg yy' zz", which is the format for degrees/mins/secs.

If it were decimal minutes it'd be xxDeg yy.zz', which it wasn't.

I tried the latter, and it was pretty far off even from that. I think they had actual waypoints but got confused when p[utting them onscreen.

20. Alpinemaps

Alpinemaps New Member

Jul 25, 2004
    San Diego, CA
    Okay, professional Geographer here. I have this show on SP, and was watching it last night. I hadn't paid attention to the coordinates until you guys brought them up. So, I took a look.

You guys are right in that the format they are displaying them in is DMS - degrees, minutes, seconds. But, they are *definitely* showing seconds that are > 60, which is usually impossible.

I think they probably had decimal minutes - ie, 117d, 11.95', and thought that should be 117d, 11' 95"

That's my educated guess, anyway.

I'm pretty sure my el-cheapo GPS unit can display geographic coordinates in all three DMS, decimal degrees (where minutes and seconds are represented as a fraction of 100 ie 117.745 degrees), and what I mentioned above, where the seconds are a fraction of the minutes.