Altice user - Should I mess with my Cablecards??

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by Lrscpa, Oct 3, 2020.

1. Lrscpa

Lrscpa Member

Apr 20, 2003

Advertisements

I have a 3TB Bolt and Mini which are working. I am concerned about the Bolt which has a stock 3TB drive, which is susceptible to failure (already gone through two fo them). Someone got me a TiVo Edge to try, but I am hesitant based upon what I read here about Altice not knowing what to do anymore when it comes to CableCARDs.

I am in NJ, don't have an Altice One, and have a Scientific Atlanta CableCARD. It's probably 8+ years old.

The thought of swapping out CableCARD from the Bolt to the Edge and having to call Altice to do a new pairing at this stage scares me.

Am I overreacting from what I read in this forum??

2. dbpaddler

dbpaddler Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2004
    Philly
    Maybe you don't stick with 2.5 drives and go with a 3.5 in an external enclosure connected to the hard drive connector.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

3. Steve

Steve TiVowner since 1999

Apr 23, 2003
    White...
    from what I understand, Altice has put some new cable card binding software in place. I called recently and the CSR was able to bind a card for me in 10 minutes. In the past, it was an hour proposition at best.

One odd thing about the new procedure. As part of the script, they ask you what make TV you’re connecting to. Not sure if that’s relevant to devices other than TiVos, or just a marketing survey.

TishTash likes this.
  4. jcondon

jcondon Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2003
    I went through hell the last 2 or 3 months trying to get a cable card rebound. I had a Red WD 3tb drive go bad in one of Premieres.

Got it done finally a few days ago. Then noticed we lost some channels that were working before we called. Called back and no one seems to be able get those channels back. This was this week. Thursday maybe when I gave up for another week.

I wouldn't fix what isn't broken.

I would wait until you have a problem before you contact them for anything. They are inept.

They have asked me the TV question for a least a few months. Not sure what it matters. I think they are just following a script and have no idea what Tivo is.

Here is a recent thread on their ineptness.

Optimum Cable Card Issues With Tivos

5. CommunityMember

CommunityMember Member

May 22, 2020

Advertisements

Beware of sampling bias. Remember that people who have problems are far more likely to vent on social networks, and those that don't tend to just continue on (and you never hear from them).

That said, it is always hard to know in advance if you will have smooth sailing, or the voyage from hell. What I typically recommend is getting another CableCARD, and activating that in your new device, and then return the existing working one if things go fine, or are eventually resolved (or if you wish to give up on the activation, return the new one).

Also one should recognize that sometimes adding a splitter to try to run both in parallel might cause issues (if you are near the limits on signal levels), so the easiest solution may be to shutdown the old unit, and put the new one in its place (with same coax cables) to activate (if you manage to get the new unit activated, you can always try adding that splitter back if you want to run both in parallel for a bit, but do check the signal levels in the diagnostic pages to make sure they are good).

6. TishTash

TishTash Active Member

Jan 23, 2008
    Merrick, NY
    I hope to goodness this is true. Why they would bother to, given recent developments, is anyone’s guess, but hey, I won’t complain....

7. mr.unnatural

mr.unnatural Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    I thought they mandated that the user was supposed to be able to activate their cablecards without having to deal with the provider. I've done that several times with my Motorola cards on Verizon FIOS. It's been years since I last did one, but you just get the info displayed on the screen and enter that on the provider's website. The card should activate within a short period of time after submitting the info.

8. Steve

Steve TiVowner since 1999

Apr 23, 2003
    White...
    May be a combination of new binding software combined with the skill of the CSR. See Hank's recent experience here: Optimum Cable Card Issues With Tivos