Alternative to Streambaby?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by Nomad, Mar 22, 2011.

1. Nomad

Nomad New Member

Jun 6, 2002
    Denver, Co

Advertisements

I love streambaby but I'm tired of the crashes, etc and it looks pretty abandoned. I'm looking for an alternative so I can stream my dvd collection to my TiVo's (S3 and Prem).

Does anyone know if XBMC or MediaPort or anything else can stream to TiVo?

2. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003
    The only alternative to Streambaby that I know of is HME/VLC. But probably you should consider transfers as well as streaming; for transfers, there are several other options.

3. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    Is it fair to say Streambaby is abandoned? The StreamBaby thread is still active and users are helping other users although the program author has been absent for quite a few months. Maybe he just considers it "complete". ;)

I see from the OP's only post in the StreamBaby thread that he is running it on LInux. Maybe the crashes are due to some linux version or build issue?

I assume the OP is aware of pyTiVo. Not streaming but very useful!

4. jcthorne

jcthorne Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2002
    Houston
    For us, the one thing we really wish pyTivo had would be an HME graphic UI to allow requests to push, show cover art etc. For most video, a request to push is nearly as good or better than streaming as the vid is playable not long after the transfer starts. For mp4 files, it transfer far faster than realtime.

I only use pyTivo having given up on Streambaby long ago. I do not want the streaming portion due to the tivo's 1 hour limit and rebuffering but one can wish for pytivo upgrades?

Should I start a wmcbrine donation fund? :)

5. orangeboy

orangeboy yes, I AM orangeboy!

Apr 19, 2004
    East Moline, IL

Advertisements

Nope! A jbernardis* fund! :up:

*Link is NOT to jbernardis' profile

6. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    Just a picky point, but isn't it a 1 GB limit?
    Am I correct that the movement away from StreamBaby is not because it's buggy but due to other factors such as the rebuffering on long files?

Anyway, the jbernardis HME stuff looks promising.

7. jcthorne

jcthorne Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2002
    Houston
    you are of course correct, its my memory that fails me. The 1GB limit is worse yet, rebuffering 5 to 10 tmes over the course of a HD movie? Naa, not going to cut it on the WAF scale.

The jbernardis thread does indeed look like its heading where I was wanting to go. Subscribed to the thread, will follow and help where can. Thanks for the pointer Orangeboy.

8. Nomad

Nomad New Member

Jun 6, 2002
    Denver, Co
    I've really loved streambaby but for the last few months almost every movie I've tried to stream aborts sometime between imediately and the end with an 0xffffff error and Connection Reset, making it basically useless.