Alternative to HMO features?

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by nclou, Jan 23, 2006.

1. nclou

nclou New Member

Dec 4, 2003

Advertisements

I'm thinking about finally upgrading to the HR10-250. However I currently have a regular DirectTV Tivo hacked to 4.0, and I think I will really miss the ability to play music through my home theater from my computer. I spent weeks ripping all my cd's to put them in the garage and out of the hands of my toddler, and hate the idea of going back to CD's for music.

Does anyone have experience with other products out there that would serve music wirelessly to my home theater like the Tivo does. And I'm looking for something reletively inexpensive, something like a Home Theater PC is not an option.

Thanks.

2. The Flush

The Flush Not So Notable Member TCF Club

Aug 3, 2005
    SO OH
    The Rockford Fosgate OmniFi DMS1 (Digital Music Streamer) does just that. They are sometimes pretty cheap on Ebay and Amazon (less than $100, maybe even $50??). WOOT had a lot of them last year. There is a very good Yahoo users group for the OmniFi products, similar to this forum in that they have greatly improved the stock software and firmware. I do not have the DMS, but do have the OmniFi DMP for my car, which I really like. With the DMP, you can wirelessly sync your PC with your permanently mounted 20 GB HDD with an in-dash controller. Neither the DMS or DMP is perfect, which is why the Yahoo group exists. I think D-Link also has something similar.

http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/omnifi/

3. Gunnyman

Gunnyman Just a boring dude

Jul 10, 2003
    Upstate...
    the linksys WMA 802.11b can be had on ebay for around 30-40 bucks and does photos and pictures nicely.

4. Tracy RainH2o

Tracy RainH2o Photo Man

Nov 17, 2005
    Georgia
    Tiger Direct had them under $30 a couple of weeks ago. A friend of mine bought one and loves it.

5. nclou

nclou New Member

Dec 4, 2003

Advertisements

Thanks for all the suggestions.

6. Diana Collins

Diana Collins Well-Known Member TCF Club

Aug 21, 2002
    New York...
    WOW!! Photos AND pictures!!! What will they think of next??

;) :D

7. Gunnyman

Gunnyman Just a boring dude

Jul 10, 2003
    Upstate...
    Video :p

8. Jerry_K

Jerry_K Don't know much

Feb 7, 2002
    Maryland
    That's just "moving" pictures. LOL

9. B Smooth

B Smooth Member

Jan 7, 2000
    Mckinney,TX,USA
    A hacked Xbox is the best all around tool you can have. It does everything and it gets better and better with very frequent updates in software.

10. Tracy RainH2o

Tracy RainH2o Photo Man

Nov 17, 2005
    Georgia
    How about a Roku HD1000. Music and Photos output to your HD set at 1080i. :D

11. Tracy RainH2o

Tracy RainH2o Photo Man

Nov 17, 2005
    Georgia

Oops.......sorry that's totally different forum. ;)

12. cheer

cheer Registered Offender

Nov 13, 2005
    Gurnee, IL
    I've been using a hacked Xbox running XBMC for over a year now, and I'm extremely happy with it. Plays photos, music, videos, shoutcast streams...even .ty files. Great interface, too.

And a warning: do not consider the D-Link wireless media thingy. Got one and had nothing but grief with it, and boy if you think D* customer service is an issue, well, just try out D-Link service some time. Awful.

13. undertow

undertow New Member

Feb 2, 2002
  14. tony17

tony17 New Member

Jun 2, 2003
    You actually don't have to get rid of it. Your dtivo can still give you all of those functions without being activated. I have mine sitting in my entertainment center strictly to stream my music, photos, weather, etc. If I were you I would just keep both, if you have the room.

15. Dkerr24

Dkerr24 Lost in Big Bend

Oct 28, 2004
    Okla, USA
    Cheer, could you post a link to where I can hack my XBox with XBMC? I have a XBox sitting around gathering dust and would like to put it to use as a media center. Thanks!

16. Arcady

Arcady Stargate Fan

Oct 14, 2004
    Philadelphia...
    Why not just leave the old TiVo where it is and use it alongside the HR10-250? Then you can use it to listen to music and use the new tivo to watch tv...

17. cheer

Nov 13, 2005
    Gurnee, IL
    Hacking instructions can be found at Xbox Scene and XBMC information is at the main XBMC site.

18. cheer

Nov 13, 2005
    Gurnee, IL
    That's actually what I am going to do...just ordered an HR10-250 but will keep the SD-DVR80 in the rack for MRV. (But I use the Xbox for music/pics/etc.)

19. nclou

nclou New Member

Dec 4, 2003
    After looking at the costs and drawbacks of all those solutions, I'm starting to think an unactivated hacked Tivo may be the best bet. The problem is that I have a regular receiver in the family room for the kids, and it would be a shame to have a Tivo sitting there not recording while they still had just a regular receiver. So I'm really pretty intent on putting the old hacked Tivo in there.

But looking at the pretty high prices of a lot of the other solutions, I'm not sure my best bet wouldn't be to get another Tivo off of ebay or craigslist and then hack that to get the HMO.

Here's the question though, could I get an additional hacked Tivo up and running for HMO only without ever having to add it to my DirecTV account? Or would I have to activate and then deactivate it?

Thanks.

20. kkmike

kkmike New Member

Oct 4, 2003
    Chicago suburb