1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Alternative to a Slingbox

Discussion in 'TiVo Stream' started by tivaulo, Nov 11, 2017.

1. tivaulo

tivaulo Member

Apr 24, 2008
    My Slingbox seems to dying slowly. I have to reboot it every couple weeks.

I tried the Tivo stream (Roamio) app but most of my stuff couldn't be streamed because almost everything is flagged. Even ads seem to have flags here.

Is there an alternative to stream my Tivo besides old Slingboxes and Monsoon boxes?

2. Jim1348

Jim1348 Member

Jan 3, 2015
    I am looking, too, but I don't think there is anything else.

3. osu1991

osu1991 Active Member

Mar 6, 2015
    Oklahoma
    There’s not that I know of. They expect everyone to watch the commercials and use the channel apps, not worried that content may go away. I will hate the day I can’t use my slingbox.

4. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    Will the app stream flagged content on your LAN? If so, you could try setting up a VPN.

5. Sparky1234

Sparky1234 Totally

May 8, 2006
    Looking too...

6. sfhub

sfhub Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2007
    Which slingbox do you have and what are the symptoms?

Most slingbox problems are either power adapter going bad, bad caps, or bad voltage regulators. The voltage regulators I've only seen on the red slingbox pros.

7. Jim1348

Jim1348 Member

Jan 3, 2015
    Slingbox Answers Forum is temporarily unavailable.

Slingbox Answers Forum is temporarily unavailable.

Currently only system administrators have access to this site.

We regret any inconvenience this may cause. Please contact the site administrator to learn when service will resume.

8. tivaulo

tivaulo Member

Apr 24, 2008
    From a quick check, it does seem to work internally. Do you know where I can get more info on this? Connect the phone to the VPN as a proxy and then fire the app?

I have the Solo.

Now that you're saying this it would make sense that the problem is electrical as it usually goes back to work after a plug pull. So I'm going to open it up and look for any swollen caps.

I think I have one of those universal power adapters and I'll check to see if one of the settings matches the OEM adapter, so I can test it if all else fails.

But, but... I really would love to hear that some other company is keeping this concept alive as I gave my sister my real old HAVA box and I can't connect to it anymore. Is the idea dead? Pillow suffocated by big money?

9. sfhub

sfhub Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2007
    It has become a pain to do with lots of devices going HDMI/HDCP coupled with the availability of streaming options. I would say it doesn't have a bright future. I think Hava is still selling stuff though.

Personally I've just been making do with Slingbox Pros, which get what I need done.

10. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    There may be some threads around here on it. I haven't looked. But connecting your phone or laptop or whatever to the VPN first before running the app is what you would have to do. Some apps like Netflix can detect a VPN and won't work. I didn't know if Tivo app was the same. Sounds like VPN will work. If I get a chance to try it before you do, I'll post my results.

11. 808judoka

808judoka New Member

Nov 27, 2017
    What model do you have? Mine seems to be working perfectly fine

12. Series3Sub

Series3Sub Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2010
    There isn't a good substitute for a Slingbox because it is the best at what it does.

While SlingMedia is no longer maufacturing Slingbox's, they still sell the remaining inventory (Slingbix site, Amazon, etc.) and will support latest gen of Slingboxes. The Slinbox latest gen for sale with continued support are th 500 and the M2. 500 uses on-screen setup and has HDMI, Component, and Composite, with up to TWO different devices connected and swtching between devices to stream. The M2 has Component and Composite for one device.

Slingbox will stream OTA via HDMI because OTA is not flagged at all. However, if you wish to stream flagged content, then it must be via Component connection.

I have two 500's and they outperform my sad TiVo stream with near perfect reliabilty and better PQ, especially with slow internet speeds. Even DishAnywhere can be flakey (same Sling technology--Dish owns Sling Media--but far more complex app and services) at times (although not nearly as utterly useless as my TiVo Stream), but my two Slingboxes have been rocksolid by comparison.

Don't bother buying older legacy Slingboxes at fleabay, etc. They are no longer supported. 500 and M2 and possibly M1 are supported. I should state that SlingMedia has announced only no longer manufacturing of Slingboxes, but they also announed that latest gen Slingboxes will continue to work for the future.

Of course, with each payTV provider offering its own app for viewing content and with Netflix, Hulu, Amazon et al. the need for a Slingbox is not what it once was. Get ur Slingboxes while you can.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2018
  13. Jim1348

Jim1348 Member

Jan 3, 2015
    That is an excellent post. Thank you very much. I have been close to getting an M2, but perhaps I should reconsider and get a Slingbox 500. I will say that my Slingbox PRO-HD is still working, but getting a newer one might insure that I have service a little ways farther into the future.

I also noticed that my local Micro Center has an Open Box special for $209.96. It might be worth that much to me to have a backup to my existing Slingbox PRO HD. I could connect my Tivo Mini to the HDMI side and the Roku 3, through the HDMI to Component adapter, on the other side.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2018
  14. dirtsy

dirtsy New Member

Oct 29, 2017
    Under the...
    Slingbox EOL seems to be starting to affect setup/player functions on MacOS (this is from my experience only!...I found zero help via Slingbox forums)

I finally did a clean install of MacOS High Sierra (the clean install may be the issue, but why would anyone do an upgrade install? haha). Two days later, my mother was trying to log on to my Slingbox SOLO connected to a TiVo Mini to watch the local football game...it wouldn't let her log on. I checked the SOLO from my LAN, I couldn't log on either. When attempting to re-setup the SOLO via the "new" Slingplayer Desktop App that worked under MacOS Sierra...nope...nothing, and I mean nothing, shows up once the app is launched, just a grey window. (I did eventually boot under an archived version of Sierra and was able to redo setup on the SOLO with success...I also re-setup my Slingbox 350 connected to an OTA tuning adapter via the old OS because the app under the new OS wouldn't do anything).

Anyone else having similar experiences or am I just an idiot :)

15. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    I've used this for years with my 350 and it still works fine on the latest Windows OS at least. I've never used Mac.
    Slingbox Player

16. osu1991

osu1991 Active Member

Mar 6, 2015
    Oklahoma
    Watching my TiVo mini in Tulsa home via slingbox 350 on windows 10 laptop connected to my living room tv in Las Vegas right now. Works perfect

17. milo99

milo99 Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Falls...
    M1 and M2 are physically the same. the M2 was marketed differently because they bundled the sligbox app with it for free, where the M1 at the time still required the purchase of a $14.99 app.

but now, the app is free for anyone, so the difference is irrelevant.

I actually just got an M1 box off of ebay for like $50 shipped. The m2 seems to go for about $75. no reason to not get one off of ebay IMO.

to the OP, i also had a solo that was starting to die, and i decided to get a replacement for the following reasons:

1) the solo was not HD. and any time the bandwidth was not 2000kbps or faster, the resolution was really annoyingly bad. with the M1, i get pretty good resolution at much lower bandwidth
    2) i have an amazon firestick that has the slingbox app on it. The M1 is supported to be watched with it, the solo is not. So that just makes it even easier when i'm traveling to watch via the firestick. Before, i had to stream it from my tablet, and if i wanted to watch it on a TV, hook up the tablet via an on the go cable that i plugged into the TV. really just a cumbersome solution.

it may be worth it to just spend around $50 for a new to you M1.

18. milo99

milo99 Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Falls...
    I'll add this, the only worry i have about slingbox is now that they don't manufacture new boxes any more, what happens if they decide to stop operating the systems that allow us to log in and stream? The fact that you have to log on to access your account is kind of annoying. i hope they dont render the boxes dead sometime in the near future by simply shutting down the service.

They had an old android app that didn't require that, but they moved away from that model.

osu1991 likes this.
  19. sfhub

sfhub Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2007
    Still using old slingbox pro. Around $20-$30 and can do 3 devices, composite, svideo, and component.

Only use client on Win10 and Android.

Self-contained, no need for Slngbox servers to be running with the older client on Win10.

20. Prestond

Prestond Member

Feb 4, 2008
    If interested only in OTA, you can possibly use the following:
    AirTV.net - this is some offshoot of Dish or Sling but they do advertise streaming out of home. I have no experience in this product. There are two products one is the airtv device and the other what appears to be a Sling device.

If using HDHomeRun type of tuners you can use Plex or Emby to stream outside of home. This can capture cable with HDHomeRun Prime but I beleive if DRM'd no joy there.