Alternative service up?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series 1 - UK' started by ptruman, May 17, 2011.

1. May 17, 2011 #1 of 111
    ptruman

ptruman New Member

Jan 8, 2003
    http://www.altepg.com/

Posted on Facebook this morning.

2. May 17, 2011 #2 of 111
    TCM2007

TCM2007 New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    It's in Alpha test if you're feeling brave.

3. May 17, 2011 #3 of 111
    Automan

Automan Ex TiVo User

Oct 29, 2000
    South...
    Can the required changes be done via your network card or do you have to pull the drive?

Automan.

4. May 17, 2011 #4 of 111
    alek

alek New Member

May 22, 2008
    I re imaged my drive, but I believe it's simple to adjust your existing one if you have a network card.

Dial up is still being developed but expected to be operating by June 1

Alek

5. May 17, 2011 #5 of 111
    CarlWalters

CarlWalters Yo Ho TiVo!

Oct 17, 2001
    RG4,...
    PM sent. Not sure if we can post details here yet.

6. May 17, 2011 #6 of 111
    ptruman

ptruman New Member

Jan 8, 2003
    My S1 is currently boxed in the loft, but if/when the service is working I may donate it a family member.

7. May 17, 2011 #7 of 111
    steveroe

steveroe Must do some work...

Oct 29, 2002
    Oxford, UK
  8. May 18, 2011 #8 of 111
    Ian_m

Ian_m Active Member

Jan 9, 2001
    Southampton,...
    Can one find ones TiVo service number from TiVoWeb (or Telnet ?) as I am at work at the moment and can't fully register without service number ?

9. May 18, 2011 #9 of 111
    mikerr

mikerr TiVoCentral.co.uk

Jun 2, 2005
    Lancashire, UK
    It's on the tivowebplus info page.

[also PM sent with other method]

10. May 18, 2011 #10 of 111
    Ian_m

Ian_m Active Member

Jan 9, 2001
    Southampton,...
    Sorted, thanks to Mikerr.

11. May 18, 2011 #11 of 111
    RichardJH

RichardJH New Member

Oct 7, 2002
    Hanworth....
    Carl PM sent

12. May 19, 2011 #12 of 111
    Automan

Automan Ex TiVo User

Oct 29, 2000
    South...
    I am now on the AltEPG :)

Quite easy to do but the process I used, like Carl's required a Clear & Delete Everything.

No CBS Channel data though at the moment :(

Automan.

13. May 19, 2011 #13 of 111
    Pete77

Pete77 New Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Not Far...
    Having to do a Clear and Delete Everything is totally and utterly unacceptable on my main Tivo. I have eight years worth of thumbs data I do not wish to lose and around 200 Season Passes and Wishlists not to mention many recordings still to watch.

These were all in the original list of channels for which EPG data was due to be provided by the AltEPG project.

I have a non used Tivo I can use to test the AltEPG except that my communal aerial now turns out to have a signal so bad that I can't get any Freeview channels at the present (something has clearly happened to it as this was not the case two years ago when I alst tries to use the aerial socket) but until the AltEPG can go through Guided Setup without a Clear and Delete everything it is not Fit For Purpose in my opinion. Of course I'm sure this requirement comes from South Africa or Australia where they had purchased Tivo overseas with channel lineups and SPs that had nothing to do with the new owner. However I am equally sure that our boffins should be able to tweak the setup process so that a forced Clear and Delete Everything is not a requirement in order to use the AltEPG.

14. May 19, 2011 #14 of 111
    Automan

Automan Ex TiVo User

Oct 29, 2000
    South...
    That is only the method Carl & myself used.

Tools do exist to backup recordings and wishlist etc which you may already have (should your drive fail).

I myself was not worried about the contents so went for the wipe :)

Automan.

15. May 19, 2011 #15 of 111
    mikerr

mikerr TiVoCentral.co.uk

Jun 2, 2005
    Lancashire, UK
    Clear and delete is advised, but not absolutely necessary.

Guided setup is necessary though, but you won't lose recordings, or wishlists.

Existing SPs won't work because they're tied to tivos database IDs.
    Back them up with the tivoweb module - a modified restore tivoweb module might appear soon.

16. May 19, 2011 #16 of 111
    Ian_m

Ian_m Active Member

Jan 9, 2001
    Southampton,...
    Fantastic...just what the Dr ordered.

I seem to remember exporting my analogue season passes (years ago) and changing ID's to FreeView channels and reimporting. All worked fine season passes for BBC1 analogue now recorded BBC1 FreeView.:)

17. May 19, 2011 #17 of 111
    Automan

Automan Ex TiVo User

Oct 29, 2000
    South...
    Thanks to all concerned for saving our Tivo's from another trip to the tip :)

Automan.

18. May 19, 2011 #18 of 111
    mikerr

mikerr TiVoCentral.co.uk

Jun 2, 2005
    Lancashire, UK
    Yes, but all guide data shared the same database IDs in the now "legacy" ( :)) system,
    that's why you could change sky/freeview/cable lineup and retain SPs created on any.

Wishlists are stored as text search matches, so transfer ok.

19. May 19, 2011 #19 of 111
    Ian_m

Ian_m Active Member

Jan 9, 2001
    Southampton,...
    Thinking about this, modified restore would probably not work.

It would work fine for programmes/season passes that are currently being transmitted ie change old ID for new AltEPG ID, but what about programmes/season passes not currently being transmitted eg TopGear BBC2, there would probably not be a new AltEPG ID assigned yet.:thumbsdown:

Unless of course the AltEPG crew could take a couple of peoples season pass files and assign AltEPG ID's in advance.:)

20. May 19, 2011 #20 of 111
    Pete77

Pete77 New Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Not Far...
    I have no problem with re-running Guided Setup. I have done that in the past when moving my Tivo between Freeview, cable and satellite program sources but all in the same London tv region. But none of my Season Passes or thumbs or wishlists were ever lost due to re-running Guided Setup.

What is the reason that the same TMSIDs could not have been retained? Presumably because a different ID exists in the originating EPG source and it seems like too much of a hassle to have a table to convert those to TMSIDs and/or not a sustainable long term solution?

I have been thinking of moving mainly to Wishlists instead of Season Passes for a long time on many programs due to the additional flexibility of making full use of the +1 channels regarding any clashes. I suppose this is now the moment. However there are programs such as Doctor Who and many Channel Four and Five shows that several months later (i.e. beyond the 28 day rule) turn up on More4, E4, 5USA, 5* etc where it is essential to use a Season Pass to avoid recording programs you have already seen. Unless someone can find a way of extending the 28 day rule to work forever? Of course there is your own Blocklist module/application but in my experience this does not work completely reliably and in this case would necessitate all the episodes of a program you have already seen being added to the Blockist text file.

However what about Thumbs data if I don't clear and delete everything? As those TMSIDs will now be orphaned in terms of future recording but the genres to which they are related will still exist will all my historic Thumbs choides still inform Suggestions going fowards? It is certainly going to be very annoying to have Thumb everything all over again including programs that one doesn't want to ever be recorded such as all forms of Football Program and most Reality Tv programs.:(:thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown: