Alternate guide data for UK S1 Tivos

Discussion in 'TiVo Series 1 - UK' started by PhilG, Feb 15, 2011.

1. PhilG

PhilG New Member

Jan 15, 2002

Advertisements

I've started this thread to hopefully get some guidance from the moderators and hopefully have a place to discuss UK S1 Tivos going forward

As Tivo have announced that as of June 1st provision of guide data will cease for S1 UK Tivos, can we now have public discussions about the alternative methods of sourcing guide data?

I'd hope that the answer is "YES"

And PLEASE let's not have any discussions on the announcement from Tivo - there are plenty of other threads for that

I'd like THIS thread to be JUST about workable options for sourcing UK S1 Tivo guide data

Thanks

2. spitfires

spitfires wassock

Dec 19, 2006
    South Coast, UK
    I hope otherwise but I think this will still be deemed a forbidden topic so as not to discourage S1 users in VM cable areas from subscribing to the VM TiVo service! :eek:

3. AMc

AMc Active Member

Mar 22, 2002
    East of England
    Let's hope not but there is always the other place...

4. TCM2007

TCM2007 Active Member

Dec 25, 2006
    I think you'll need to do the actual discussing elsewhere - the methods you use could be adopted by US S1 owners to steal service so are unlikely to be "legal" topics here.

Hopefully will allow the place where they are discussed to be advertised here.

5. jonphil

jonphil New Member

Aug 7, 2002
    Derbyshire, UK

Advertisements

Hope so, I still want my S1 Tivo to record freeview :)

6. CarlWalters

CarlWalters Yo Ho TiVo!

Oct 17, 2001
    RG4,...
    I still want my TiVo to be able to record FreeSat too.

I'd be a bit disappointed if the topic of obtaining our own guide data was to be outlawed here especially since my lifetime subscription will die in June. A bit like Logan's Run :)

7. sad_tivo_man

sad_tivo_man New Member

Apr 27, 2003
    Where is this 'other place' ?

8. sad_tivo_man

sad_tivo_man New Member

Apr 27, 2003
    I contacted TiVo Inc directly and offered to run the service ...on a commercial basis ..and answer back came there none.

Having read the TiVo blog where they say 'go upgrade', the arrogance of TiVo Inc goes beyond the pale. Take a look at Scotland, for example. Not much coverage by VirginMedia there.

9. AMc

AMc Active Member

Mar 22, 2002
    East of England
    google database, deals and tivo

10. sad_tivo_man

sad_tivo_man New Member

Apr 27, 2003
    Many thanks..duly bookmarked. Now wonder if I can invoice TiVo Inc for my wasted time in trying to get it all sorted out.

11. PhilG

PhilG New Member

Jan 15, 2002
    Just posted a question at TivoZA - here

12. spitfires

spitfires wassock

Dec 19, 2006
    South Coast, UK
    :cool:

The ZA system is pretty much a port of the Oz/NZ set-up but it would good to know what customisation they had to make (e.g. different postcode format; different signal sources).

13. TCM2007

TCM2007 Active Member

Dec 25, 2006
    The Dutch also do it.

14. Heuer

Heuer New Member

Mar 15, 2004
    Nottinghamshire
    I suggest we just start discussing the alternative EPG anyway - if we get banned it will not be a problem given the Forum will be extinct in 3 months time. We can't even mention the 'other place' where such topics are openly developed although putting the words 'deal' and 'TiVo' into Google will quickly get you there if you are interested. Hopefully the Moderators will give us some slack so we can work on a plan?

15. sad_tivo_man

sad_tivo_man New Member

Apr 27, 2003
    Seems to me that there are two routes - both complicated. One involves opening up the box, sticking in network cards, re-imaging etc etc. The second, which involves emulating the TiVo Daily Update system, would only involve changing the phone number inside the TiVo itself. All the heavy lifting would be done outside TiVo.

16. Heuer

Heuer New Member

Mar 15, 2004
    Nottinghamshire
  17. sad_tivo_man

sad_tivo_man New Member

Apr 27, 2003
    Why not? Emulate what the TiVo In server does.

18. DX30

DX30 New Member

May 22, 2005
    There are possible legal issues here.

The Radio Times for instance allows download for personal use only. They are not happy for an intermediary to take their data, alter its format, then supply that to others.

So to abide by their T&C the TiVo would need to download directly from the RT website and perform any data manipulation on the TiVo itself. You couldn't legally provide a centralised Daily Update service, especially where money changed hands.

19. TCM2007

TCM2007 Active Member

Dec 25, 2006
    Easily said, not easily done. AFAIK the daily call process has not been reverse engineered, just the data delivery format.

If you are not networked you can use the built in modem to dial your ISP and from there download the guide data from a server set up for the purpose. But you need to adapt the software to both do that and to know how to process the downloaded guide data.

20. TCM2007

TCM2007 Active Member

Dec 25, 2006
    So long as you don't charge you should be OK; Linux software like Myth TV has established some solid guide data.

Of course for stuff like SPs and Suggestions to work properly, they will require some manual enhancing.