alt epg now taking subscriptions

Discussion in 'TiVo Series 1 - UK' started by spitfires, May 21, 2011.

1. spitfires

spitfires wassock

Dec 19, 2006
    South Coast, UK
    Apparently it is now officially ok for people to pay for the alt epg service. Interestingly that appears to be a unilateral decision from the person who originally said (their bold type not mine)
    The Tivoland-owned AltEPG website can now take 'recurring monthly donations' - hmmm, sounds like a subscription to me.

Hint: Where does the money go? Who accounts for it?

(p.s. I can't ask this on the alt epg forum since it is deemed a "forbidden subject" by the alt epg project owner.)

2. TCM2007

TCM2007 New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    Don't bring your falling out with Dave onto this forum please.

3. spitfires

spitfires wassock

Dec 19, 2006
    South Coast, UK
    Well I'm not allowed to raise this important issue over there (it has been deemed a "forbidden subject" by Dave). Do you not think it should be discussed?

Are people just soooo grateful to get a replacement service that they are prepared to let the project's fundamental principles slide and that they don't care what happens their donations?

4. TCM2007

TCM2007 New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    If it worries you, don't donate.

5. spitfires

spitfires wassock

Dec 19, 2006
    South Coast, UK
    It worries me the way a community project has been hi-jacked and apparently nobody cares.

6. Trinitron

Trinitron New Member

Jan 20, 2003
    North West
    I think you may be reading more into it than I do. Looks like the suggestion for recurring donations came from a grateful recipient. The unwillingness to discuss what happens to donations is a little concerning though.

(I'm thinking of asking how much it would take to remove irritating apostrophes from the AltEPG site. Folks, the plural of TiVo is NOT TiVo's! :) )

7. Heuer

Heuer New Member

Mar 15, 2004
    Nottinghamshire
    You could always start a Alt-AltEPG project if you want! I have no problem with them seeking donations as it follows in the footsteps of most Freeware. When I find a really useful application that saves me time and money I am more than happy to click on the 'tip' jar. These guys have shown an entrepreneurial spirit whilst others just sulked or looked for someone to sue, so good on them. And yes, every TiVo owner should donate something if only to buy them a pint :up: In fact shame on you if you don't.

8. healeydave

healeydave from tivoland.com

Jun 4, 2003
    Midlands
    I was just waiting for the idiot OP to come up with another dig!

To avoid any confusion , the AltEPG project is not asking for any donations, we have made it an option after multiple request's!

Donations are not linked in any way shape or form to the continued success or failure of the project!

Let's make one thing clear we certainly do not want any donation from you spitfires, IT would defiantly be un-welcome because you've made your feelings quite clear and hence it would be impossible for you to donate anything in the spirit that they are intended!!
    (not that for one minute I'd expect you to anyway!).

9. spitfires

spitfires wassock

Dec 19, 2006
    South Coast, UK
    So where *does* the money go?

Seems a simple enough question. Which no-one is prepared to answer.

(Contrary to your now usual name-calling rantings healeydave, I will happily and joyfully donate to the project - in fact I was one of the first to suggest the project accept donations back in Feb. I would just like to know where the money is going.)

10. healeydave

healeydave from tivoland.com

Jun 4, 2003
    Midlands
    No-one has refused to answer, there you go assuming again and making an arse out of yourself. The simple answer is we don't know yet, which you'd already know if you bothered to read instead of trying to stoke up trouble all the time!!!!

11. Automan

Automan Ex TiVo User

Oct 29, 2000
    South...
    I myself don't care where the money goes :)

Automan.

12. Heuer

Heuer New Member

Mar 15, 2004
    Nottinghamshire
    Who cares (apart from yourself, obviously)? As long as the service remains viable and reliable the money can go towards servers, modem's, beer or pizza's. I am sure when you leave a tip you don't ask the waiter what he is going to spend it on! Beside's the tax implications don't bear thinking about.

13. spitfires

spitfires wassock

Dec 19, 2006
    South Coast, UK
    I'll assume it goes straight into healeydave's pocket then.

14. Heuer

Heuer New Member

Mar 15, 2004
    Nottinghamshire
    ............. to replace the money he has spent on the project so far and will do sustaining it. Seems fair to me.

15. spitfires

spitfires wassock

Dec 19, 2006
    South Coast, UK
    If that's true then yes fine. Quite why he has to be so secretive and touchy about everything escapes me. (If there's nothing to hide then why the unnecessary name-calling and threats?)

Don't forget this was conceived and set up as a *community* project - people donating should be aware that is now no longer the case. If you want to donate then absolutely go ahead; just be aware of where your money is going.

16. Heuer

Heuer New Member

Mar 15, 2004
    Nottinghamshire
    Give the guy a break. There must be immense pressure delivering on an open promise to a lot of people with a very tight deadline so answering trivial pursuit questions here is probably way down on his 'things to do' list, and a distraction. I am sure there will be plenty of time for name calling and recriminations after 1st June when normal service is resumed :rolleyes:

17. TCM2007

TCM2007 New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    You should ask yourself that question as the poster of a deliberately misleading thread title with an obvious agenda.

18. Johnbyte

Johnbyte New Member

Nov 4, 2008
    Is he then? Doesn't come across to me that way. Whatever he/the Altepg project does with the money is fine by me.

19. spitfires

spitfires wassock

Dec 19, 2006
    South Coast, UK
    The title was originally over my concern that Tivo Inc. might view "recurring donations" as subscriptions by another name and therefore legitimately whinge about 'service theft' or whatever the correct term would be. (I probably didn't phrase things very well.)

If the money was for a community project then I would hope they would be less likely to object (since they have always been very helpful in turning a blind eye to hacking etc. in the past). If the money was for a commercial business then they might view things differently.

Of course with only 9 days to go I guess the question is moot.

(Personally I couldn't give a t*ss who gets the money so long as it is transparent.)

20. spitfires

spitfires wassock

Dec 19, 2006
    South Coast, UK
    So why can't this be discussed on tivoland's forum then? (without threats of being barred from his forum and most likely the alt epg service as a whole).