Alphas - Pilot - 7/11/2011

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by jpwoof, Jul 12, 2011.

1. jpwoof

jpwoof New Member

May 19, 2004
    San...
    I like the premise of the show, but it's something we have seen before. Dialogs and acting are poor, but I'm sure they'd improve overtime.

i dont like the transducer guy. He has a cool power but his character needs some work. or maybe it's just his acting that bothers me.

If everyone has a downside, what was the telephatic's? how did the kissing helped the black dude snap out of being mind controlled?

overall. it's an okay episode. i'm keeping the season pass.

2. Thom

Thom Unemployed and loving it !

Jun 5, 2000
    Southern Calif.
    I thought the transducer guy was one of the better actors. His character is supposed to somewhat autistic-like but functional enough to work with the team, and I thought the actor did a good job.

I liked the pilot.

3. ADG

ADG Allan

Aug 19, 2003
    New Jersey, USA
    Just watched it. Thought it was awful.

4. jschuur

jschuur TV-holic, improving

Nov 27, 2002
    London, UK
    I thought the team had no chemistry, and too much of the team (Bill, Gary, Wilson) annoyed me.

I cancelled my season pass, but might still check the show out when it's in reruns or hits Netflix streaming.

5. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    They said earlier that a strong emotional reaction can break the control, and he'd been gazing longingly at her all episode. Presumably, she knew he has a crush on her and used that to break the control.

I suspect the downside of her power has something to do with whatever dark secret in her past that they kept talking around.

6. TIVO_GUY_HERE

TIVO_GUY_HERE I miss the ocean

Jul 10, 2000
    Dallas Texas
    Nice seeing Vincent Nigel-Murry from Bones, but that was pretty much the only bright spot on the show. It's a pilot, so I will give it a few more episodes.

7. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    Don't know who he was, but at first I thought it might be Keir Gilchrist (the son on US Tara).

Maybe not full-on awful, but I didn't do anything for me. SP canceled.

8. Peter000

Peter000 Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 15, 2002
    Red Wing, MN
    I fell asleep after the first half-hour. I may try to watch it again later, though.

9. Snappa77

Snappa77 RUDEBWOY

Feb 14, 2004
    BOSTON
    This.

And this.

10. danterner

danterner Not it!

Mar 4, 2005
    Greenacres, FL
    I actually liked it pretty well. I did think the team had chemistry, and that the pilot did a good job of introducing both the characters and the promise of a serialized story arc (Red Flag). Some of the dialog (e.g. the reference to Beckett) had me chuckling. I guess I'm either easy to please, or there's no accounting for taste. Or both. Anyhow, SP stays.

11. Amnesia

Amnesia The Question

Jan 30, 2005
    Boston, MA
    I find his character incredibly annoying. Good actor or bad, accurate portrayal of borderline autism or not, I simply don't find it enjoyable to watch as entertainment.

12. eddyj

eddyj Señor Member TCF Club

Jun 20, 2002
    South Florida
    I don't think he is borderline, he is pretty far into the autism spectrum, and I found the portrayal pretty accurate.

13. Amnesia

Amnesia The Question

Jan 30, 2005
    Boston, MA
    Still doesn't make the character any more fun to watch.

14. eddyj

eddyj Señor Member TCF Club

Jun 20, 2002
    South Florida
    For you. I find it very interesting, seeing the interaction.

15. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    This is sheer autisticism at its worst! You should be ASHAMED of yourself!

ASHAMED, I say!

:D

16. sieglinde

sieglinde Active Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Sebastopol, CA
    I haven't watched the pilot yet but I will give it at least two episodes.

17. jschuur

jschuur TV-holic, improving

Nov 27, 2002
    London, UK
    They went pretty much in medias res and it felt like they skipped the original pilot they shot and jumped straight into the second episode, a la Star Trek. Then again, it was a 90 minute episode, so that wouldn't make sense.

18. Fl_Gulfer

Fl_Gulfer Tivo's R Us

May 27, 2005
    Fl.Gulf
    Maybe getting shot on Bones made Vincent Nigel-Murry a nut case.....lol

19. Cboath

Cboath Great Scott!

Jun 22, 2004
    St. Louis
    I really liked it. Yeah, there are some bugs to work out but it has my interest.

20. betts4

betts4 I am Spartacus!

Dec 26, 2005
    A Galaxy...
    I just watched it tonight and it took a bit, but I ended with enjoying it and will SP it. Liked all the characters and how their various powers were introduced and used.

The beginning had me feel like Heroes or I can't think of it but the family that ended up with special powers that was on a season or two ago. As I kept watching though I found it more and more interesting and the new guy joining the team was great.