"Almost there, a few minutes more" then reboot.

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by phirephoto, Aug 3, 2011.

1. Aug 3, 2011 #1 of 24
    phirephoto

phirephoto New Member

Jun 4, 2011
    So today, out of the blue, I came home, and my Tivo Premiere was at "Please wait, just a few minutes more". It then rebooted, and went back to the startup screen, then please wait just a few minutes more again. It did this at least 3 more times, at which I tried the kickstart codes. When I hit Pause, the lights stop flickering, and then they light when I press each number - I tried all the software codes, 51, 52, etc.
    After entering the numbers, the yellow and green lights flash back and forth, then that appears to be it. Still it keeps rebooting.

Any other suggestions on what to try?

Thanks!

2. Aug 3, 2011 #2 of 24
    crxssi

crxssi Veteran TiVo User

Apr 5, 2010
    Unplug anything USB from it.

3. Aug 3, 2011 #3 of 24
    phirephoto

phirephoto New Member

Jun 4, 2011
    Nothing USB plugged in. Just power and the cable card, and HDMI. :(

4. Aug 3, 2011 #4 of 24
    phirephoto

phirephoto New Member

Jun 4, 2011
    Called Tivo. They had me pull cable card and reboot, no go. Then had me pull ethernet and coax and reboot, still no go. :(

5. Aug 3, 2011 #5 of 24
    crxssi

crxssi Veteran TiVo User

Apr 5, 2010
    Yikes, it sounds like you are hosed. Hope you haven't had it long. Now you get to:

1) Lose all your settings
    2) Loos all your season passes
    3) Lose all your recordings
    4) Have to disassemble everything and pack it
    5) Lug it around to be shipped and pay for shipping
    6) Wait for days for a replacement, meanwhile having no DVR and if you are unlucky, NO TV AT ALL
    7) Unpack and install another unit
    8) Possibly wait forever for a service update and also going through all the setup again
    9) Fight with the cable company to get the cable card repaired correctly
    10) Spend more forever customizing all your channels and re-entering all your season passes.
    11) Use up your one and only replacement if you are under extended warranty OR lose lots of money if you are NOT under warranty/extended warranty

Been there, done that.... multiple times over the years :(

And of all of that, the most annoying part- losing my settings, configuration, and season passes, is totally avoidable if they would just sync that to their servers or allow me to back it up to a USB key or SOMETHING. UG!

6. Aug 3, 2011 #6 of 24
    P42

P42 Active Member

Jan 7, 2003
    @crxssi, I believe one of the third party programs, maybe pyTivo, will backup you Season Passes.

7. Aug 3, 2011 #7 of 24
    crxssi

crxssi Veteran TiVo User

Apr 5, 2010
    There is also a complex and freaky web-way from TiVo, but you have to jump through a lot of hoops, and it is not friendly, and it doesn't always work. Plus it doesn't save all my channel preferences, which takes almost as long (to figure out what they are, which are HD dups, which I don't want, which are favorites, etc).

Hard drives fail. That is what they do. They have a limited life. This is not news. Backing up video is just too huge and time consuming. But, to me, it is just insane that there is no easy and built-in way to backup and restore everything else.... probably a < 1MB data file archive!

8. Aug 4, 2011 #8 of 24
    phirephoto

phirephoto New Member

Jun 4, 2011

Can't really send it to tivo, it's a 2 TB hard drive. :( So need to try to find some other fix.

9. Aug 4, 2011 #9 of 24
    L David Matheny

L David Matheny Active Member

Jan 29, 2011
    SE Ohio
    Don't you have the original hard drive to put back in? That would also test to see if the problem is the hard drive. If the 2TB drive is the problem, you could install another one and at least avoid the hassle of returning the unit to TiVo. Of course, that doesn't help with saving any of your recordings, etc.

10. phirephoto

phirephoto New Member

Jun 4, 2011
    I do have the original drive.

So at this point, if I do a clone of the drive, then expand the 340 gb 'clone' to the full 2 TB should I be good to go?

11. L David Matheny

Jan 29, 2011
    SE Ohio
    Do you mean you'll clone again to the same 2TB? That might be OK if it's not what has gone bad, but you will lose your recordings, etc. Before you do anything else, read up on the IntelliPark reboot issue addressed by WDidle3. Did you ever run that when you first built the 2TB? Maybe you just need to do that now.

12. phirephoto

phirephoto New Member

Jun 4, 2011
    I mean clone my original 340 GB tivo drive to the 2 TB WD drive.

I never ran intellipark - but the 2 TB was given to me aleady imaged from a user here, so not sure if it was already done.

I'll research that and see.

13. phirephoto

phirephoto New Member

Jun 4, 2011
    Ok read up on that..

I don't have a computer readily available with sata. :( just sata to USB :(

Plus the tivo drive / should still boot, right, so doesn't sound like that's the issue does it?

14. phirephoto

phirephoto New Member

Jun 4, 2011
    Does anyone know for sure - if I clone the 340 gb drive to a 2 TB drive, can't I use a regular partition manager software and expand the partition?

15. L David Matheny

Jan 29, 2011
    SE Ohio
    If you put the original TiVo drive back in, that should boot. If it doesn't, there could be a hardware problem with the actual TiVo box.

I don't know for sure, but I don't think you can expand it with a regular partition manager. You might be able to use something like Acronis to clone the original drive (without getting any more space), but I'm not even sure about that.

16. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    No.

Regular partition wrangling software will be looking for a PC type partition table.

TiVo drives don't have those.

I'm assuming that somewhere in all of that rebooting, you actually unplugged the TiVo's power cord, let it sit for a minute, and then plugged it back in.

That's a cold boot.

Just telling it to reboot is a warm boot.

If you're using a Caviar Green and the "Intellipark" situation hasn't been dealt with, it may have a problem with a warm boot.

If you don't have any spare SATA ports inside your computer, (I assume you have a PC and not a Mac), but do have at least 2 available USB ports and and least 2 available SATA to USB adapters, here's what you do.

Download the iso of the MFS Live cd, v1.4, and burn yourself a copy.

Get another SATA drive (which we will call the test drive) at least as big as your Premiere's original drive, but don't use the 2TB drive you currently have in the TiVo.

Hook up both drives (the original 340 and the test drive) to the computer.

Boot from the MFS Live cd.

Choose the first, default boot option when you get the screen that gives you 4 choices.

Eventually you'll get the linux command line prompt.

(although after that it might then detect your 2 USB connected drives, and you might have to hit the Enter key once to get it back to the command line prompt)

run

fdisk -l

to see what it's calling which drive. One or more of those listed will be the drive(s) inside the computer. You don't want to mess with those.

The following is an example.

If it assigns /dev/sda and /dev/sdb to the internal drives of the computer, calls the 340GB original drive /dev/sdc and the test drive /dev/sdd, then

dd_rescue -v /dev/sdc /dev/sdd

---remember, this is an example, it might not be /dev/sdc and /dev/sdd, but the syntax is

dd_rescue [option] source drive target drive

(do not get source and target mixed up)

That will make a bit for bit (or maybe byte for byte) copy of the original TiVo drive to the test drive.

This copy will include the partition map of the original drive, so no matter how much larger than the original the test drive is, it will report to the TiVo that it's the same size. This is not a problem for the purposes of this test.

It'll take a while for all 340GBs to get copied.

Eventually dd_rescue should come to a stop, probably with an EOF message. That means End Of File, and means it reached the end of the original drive.

Run

poweroff

and the computer will shut down.

Take the test drive, put it in the TiVo, plug the TiVo's power cord in, see if it boots.

You could have just done this with the original drive, but this way you protect it from anything the TiVo might do to screw it up if there's something wrong with the TiVo itself and not your 2TB drive.

17. Dr_Diablo

Dr_Diablo Dr_Diablo

Nov 23, 2003
    Midwest
    Tivo CS claims it's a hard drive bout to fail that causes this constant reboot, go figure

18. phirephoto

phirephoto New Member

Jun 4, 2011
    Hi,

The Intellipark was done. And yep, I left it unplugged overnight :(

Thanks, I'll give the above a shot sometime this weekend!

19. danjw1

danjw1 Member

Sep 13, 2005
    Just a note, you don't EVER want to have the computer boot to Windows while either the "original" or "test" drives are attached. If you are comfortable doing so, you might want to consider plugging the Windows drive while you are working the above process. This would guarantee that it won't boot into Windows. You may have to enter the BIOS on your computer and adjust it to boot from the optical drive.

If you are not going to remove the cables from the boot drive, I would suggest you try booting from the MFS Live cd, before connecting the other drives. This will allow you to be sure that it will not boot to Windows when that is in the optical drive.

20. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    You realize that would mean being unable to use WinMFS?

As I understand it, it's XP pre-Service Pack 2, and its NT-based predecessor, Windows 2000 (Win2K), which are "do things for you automatically whether you want them done or not" dangers. I'm pretty sure the 9x versions are safe, although I'm not sure about their immediate successor, Windows ME.

Speaking of "whether you want them done or not", GigaByte brand motherboards should be avoided regardless of operating system, as the first thing they do on power on is to write a host protected area to whichever drive they think is the boot drive.