Almost jumped ship today....

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by mikeb33, Jul 6, 2019.

1. Jul 6, 2019 #1 of 44
    mikeb33

mikeb33 Hanger Arounder

Dec 10, 2001

Advertisements

My Wife was complaining about no more video on demand on Xfinity. We stopped into the Xfinity store to see what's what. For a X1 unit and 2 mini units and mostly the same programming and internet, it will be about $190 a month, the same as now. So no savings moving to their gear.
    I am disappointed with no VOD, but I really still like my Tivo. The thing I would miss the most is the multiple tunes. I like to pause a show or sport and switch to another tuner, watch for a while, then switch back and fast forward through commercials. I don't think the X1 does that.
    The counter guy told us that Xfinity support for Tivo is going away soon anyway so it's only matter of time.
    Anybody else tempted to stray?

2. Jul 6, 2019 #2 of 44
    spiderpumpkin

spiderpumpkin Say no to Hydra!

Dec 1, 2017
    I have the X1 dvr for on demand, and it also comes in handy on busy days when my 6-tuner bolt isn’t
    enough. The X1 is included with my triple play and
    the cablecard for my tivo is about $7.45 a month after $2.50 discount.

3. Jul 7, 2019 #3 of 44
    gigaquad

gigaquad Tivo Image Master

Oct 25, 2004
    I was tempted to stray - from the Xfinity! Tell them to shove it and put an antenna in the attic. You don't need cable now that the OTA signal is digital. It's no longer the "big three" with snow all over them.

I'll give up my Tivo when they pry it from my cold dead hands.

mrsean, jrtroo and kpeters59 like this.
  4. Jul 7, 2019 #4 of 44
    Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I've thought about cutting the cord many times. I could easily live with OTA and apps, but my wife doesn’t like the idea.

5. Jul 7, 2019 #5 of 44
    unclehonkey

unclehonkey Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Mankato, MN

Advertisements

you do know with digital its a picture or nothing? Unlike analog which had snow on the screen.
    If you are close to the towers yeah it works. But when you get further away it may take more to attempt to get the signal.

6. Jul 7, 2019 #6 of 44
    zalusky

zalusky Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 5, 2002
    Cupertino, CA
    I use Apple TV for most all streaming Prime/HBO/Netflix/Hulu/Showtime/Britbox/PBS Passport. Tivo is for recording mostly for my wife broadcast and food shows. I am waiting to see what the Apple TV+ package offers to see if I mix it up but so far and I can't justify changing anything.

7. Jul 7, 2019 #7 of 44
    gigaquad

Oct 25, 2004
    Yep, and unless you're over 80 miles from the tower with mountains in between you should get a signal just fine. Again, it's not like the old days.

OP: Anything you watch now is available OTA or on a Fire TV stick (30.00$) What's the wife's holdout? The money saved should buy her a nice anniversary present by this time next year :)

8. Jul 7, 2019 #8 of 44
    schatham

schatham Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2007
    Because by the time you pay for all those separate items cable is not any more expensive and functions much better.

kpeters59 likes this.
  9. Jul 7, 2019 #9 of 44
    schatham

Mar 17, 2007
    Op get one X1 and keep the Tivo's. Then you can use Tivo and a Roku stick to access on demand and X1 recordings.

10. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    My cable company raising the "broadcast TV" surcharge to $12 a few years ago pushed me over the edge. At that time I switched to DirecTV NOW (HBO plus all my former cable channels and limited cloud DVR) for $40 (now $55). I record PBS and a few other OTA channels with an Amazon Recast. I watch everything on Fire sticks on any TV.

DirecTV NOW was even sweeter since I'm able to share with my parents 250 miles away, cancelling their satellite TV subscription. All told, I'm probably saving $150/month.

Unfortunately, DirecTV NOW is no longer a viable option for new subscribers. The closest substitute these days is probably Youtube TV.

Yes, streaming is a little more inconvenient at times. But I'll gladly put up with it for what amounts to nearly a week vacation at the beach every year.

mschnebly likes this.
  11. gigaquad

Oct 25, 2004
    What expensive items? A 60.00 antenna (one time fee) and a $30.00 Fire TV (one time fee) is the same as $160/month indefinitely?

mschnebly likes this.
  12. schatham

Mar 17, 2007
    To replicate all the same cable channels. You forgot the $99 internet cost which I'm sure is included in that $160.

Don't assume an antenna works in their area or someone has a Tivo that does OTA.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2019
  13. unclehonkey

Dec 20, 2012
    Mankato, MN
    incorrect. All it takes is buildings between you to have the signal crap out. Also stations especially on VHF broadcast at puny outputs compared to the analog days which in some cases you can be 10-12 miles away from the tower and it doesnt work. Throw in low powered signals too which operate at 15,000 watts or less and that is more issues. I live 25 miles away from a translator farm and can't get them due to the repack forcing them to neuter their power outputs.
    And I have a plethora of some badass antennas that I've tried. I dont think the landlord would like if I mounted my Antenncraft C490 on the deck :)

14. unclehonkey

Dec 20, 2012
    Mankato, MN
    Where I use to live Mediacom raised it for the 4th time in a year to almost $15 (14.93)

15. Pokemon_Dad

Pokemon_Dad Ruler of Unown UI

Jan 19, 2008
    Silicon Valley
    Can anyone find confirmation of that in writing anywhere? I've been lied to — um, advised incorrectly — before, by Comcast/Xfinity salespeople claiming TiVo was going away, and by AT&T salespeople claiming they do support TiVo.

jrtroo likes this.
  16. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    That's insane. It was so satisfying to tell Charter where to stick their broadcast TV fee. I'm glad I'm lucky enough to get good OTA reception.

But alternatives like Locast are growing. Unfortunately, you can't get it everywhere and you can't record it.

17. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    Of course not. My cable tech told me the cable company no longer supported cable card as I was watching my cable card Tivo right in front of him. I didn't feel like arguing so I just played along, knowing full well that millions of cable company boxes would also cease to function if that were true.

It will only go away when either the law changes or the provider switches an area entirely to IPTV (like U-verse).

18. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    Also with Comcast here and a Roamio Pro. We didn't use XoD very often but it was nice when either we missed recording something or an HBO movie was not available to record in HD. Not having it though isn't enough of a reason for us to move away from TiVo though. I wouldn't trust what the Comcast counter person said regarding support for TiVo at least for the near term although they have deployed some new stations to IP-only delivery.

Scott

19. schatham

Mar 17, 2007
    The signs are their. The sudden loss of On Demand, hard to get cable cards, Tivo happy to cancel without putting up a fight. All the lawsuits.

tommiet likes this.
  20. gigaquad

Oct 25, 2004
    $69.00 for internet, which is not included in the $160.00 And you still get the same cable channels online, plus more. I'm sorry Schat, you're not off the cord so you don't know how green the grass is here.