Allen vs. Farrow - HBO/HBO Max *spoilers*

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Steveknj, Feb 23, 2021 at 8:34 AM.

1. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey

Advertisements

I watched this last night, and it's really disturbing. Now, I will preface this by saying that I have been a fan of Woody Allen movies for sometime and I only know peripherally about his relationship with Mia's adopted daughter Soon-Yi, but I didn't know anything about his relationship with this younger adopted daughter. At first he just seemed like an over protective dad to her, then, yes it got weird, at least based on the interviews with her, Mia and their friend. I was curious to see who produced this but I am unsure of the connection between the producers and either the Allen or Farrow camp, if any. But it's clear to me that this is a fairly one sided account. I have no doubt that Allen is a creepy dude, but the only side of this story we are getting is from Farrow, the daughter and her camp. The only thing we are hearing from Allen is excerpts from his autobiography about the situation. He's still together with Soon Yi, they've been married a long time now, have kids of their own, so there must have been something legitimate between them. But the whole situation is just weird. Mia, to me is kind of weird and creepy as well. I'd like to hear from both sides before I draw a complete conclusions.

Woody Allen, Soon-Yi Previn Respond to 'Allen v. Farrow' Filmmakers: "These Documentarians Had No Interest in the Truth"

VegasVic likes this.
  2. Family

Family Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2001
    Mia is surely a whack job, but Allen married his step daughter and made the movie Manhattan.

Enough evidence for me that something's not right.

BradJW likes this.
  3. Steveknj

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    Oh he's plenty weird. But plenty of older guys fall for younger women, and she wasn't legally adopted by him. And like I said they are STILL married years later, so it's not like he did it as a weird kinky fling. But anyway, I'll keep watching and maybe there's absolutely more creepy stuff that will change my mind.

4. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
  5. ncbill

ncbill Well-Known Member TCF Club

Sep 1, 2007
    Western NC

Advertisements

Also please see:

HBO Doc About Woody Allen & Mia Farrow Ignores Mia’s 3 Dead Kids, Her Child Molester Brother, Other Family Tragedies

6. Tony_T

Tony_T Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2017
    Yes, he wasn’t Soon-Yi’s adoptive father when he took naked pictures of her while he was in a relationship with her adoptive mother, and yes, she Soon-Yi was an adult when that occurred, so nothing illegal occurred, but Allen was 56 and Soon-Yi was 21. What a creep.
    I just read that Allen is suing HBO for unauthorized use of his audiobook.

7. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Yeah, both of the articles I posted say in effect, if you want to blast Allen for being a creep, blast him for the things he actually did. Don't make &!^$ up.

8. Steveknj

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    I read the Daily Beast article, at least most of it. Mia, was 21 when she started her relationship the Frank Sinatra who was in his mid 50s. Does that make Sinatra a creep? The whole story is strange, and maybe there's some truth to both sides. Some how a woman who adopts 15 kids is not exactly a normal situation either. There's definitely some creep on both sides.

9. Tony_T

Tony_T Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2017
    Did you miss where I said that Allen took naked pictures of Soon-Yi while he was in a relationship with her adoptive mother? That’s why Allen is a creep, and only just a creep because Soon-Yi was legally an adult.

10. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    But Mia's side is that Allen molested Dylan, and for reasons the two articles I linked above spell out, that accusation seems to be completely insane. There does not appear to be a shred of truth to it.

Again, if you're going to go after Allen, go after him for the things he did (which yes were creepy, but not criminal).

Steveknj likes this.
  11. Tony_T

Tony_T Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2017
    If true, I found it odd that Allen showed more attention to his adoptive daughter than to his biological son.

12. Steveknj

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    I did, and I'm not saying he isn't creepy. I'm just saying that Mia is equally creepy if not MORE creepy and that it's quite possible she coerced Dylan into saying the things she did about him (remember she was very young and she did what mommy said to do). And Mia, according the DB article broke up Andre Previn's marriage when she was young and he was older, was not exactly faithful to Allen when they were together (insinuating that Ronan is Sinatra's child, not Woody's and he was in his 70s while she was in her 40s.). There's a lot of creep to go around. So it's hard to take what Mia is saying with much credibility either. Not saying he didn't do it, but I'm not saying he did either. I don't know any more than any of us do. Read the DB article.

13. Steveknj

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    Well that's the side of the story that Mia tells in the documentary. Parents can be very close with their kids, have favorites and so forth, but that doesn't make them child molesters. My gut tells me that Mia wasn't happy about Woody and Soon-Yi (whether it's about the family dynamic or she's just a woman scorned, we don't know) and made this up about Woody. But to be honest, I don't know any more than you do.

14. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    Personally, as a middle aged man, I don't consider middle aged men pursuing 20-something year old women to be creepy at all any more. :p

mattack likes this.
  15. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Does he have a biological son? Mia has said that Ronan could be Frank Sinatra's child and, well, look at Ronan, Woody, and Sinatra. Ronan could be Ol' Blue-Eyes' clone.

16. Family

Family Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2001
    It makes Sinatra a creep, if Mia was his step daughter.

I couldn't believe Manhattan forty years ago when I saw it. Muriel Hemingway played and behaved like a 16 year old. With everything's that's happened since, it's hard to give Allen much benefit of the doubt.

17. ncbill

ncbill Well-Known Member TCF Club

Sep 1, 2007
    Western NC
    Allen also dated a 17 year old (age of consent at the time) while in his early 40s...there was never any secret he liked younger women.

But don't forget Mia's affair with Andre Previn and subsequent pregnancy also resulted in the mental breakdown of Previn's wife.

Or Mia's off-hand remark about Sinatra & Ronan...as one of the articles notes that seemed particularly cruel since his widow was still alive at the time.

And as others have said Ronan sure doesn't look like Woody's his father to me.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2021 at 10:39 AM
  18. Tony_T

Tony_T Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2017
    Didn’t know that, and if it was in e1, I missed it. Simple now to find out, and if I were Ronan, I would want to know.

19. Steveknj

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    Except Soon-Yi isn't Woody's step daughter. She's Mia's adopted daughter with Previn. He never married Mia or adopted most of the other kids that were there before she met Woody. The question to me is, how close was he with Soon-Yi? With so many kids in the house, it's possible that he had very little do with her. As per Soon-Yi, all she considered Woody was that she was Mom's boyfriend. He didn't even stay over. He started seeing her when she was of legal age, and having nude pictures of her is not a crime, as you said. Again, there's lots of stories of people dating a mom and then falling for mom's daughter. I guess you can consider that creepy in a way, but the Soon-Yi situation is no different really. If she was adopted by him (i.e. his legal daughter), I'd agree it's more creepy.

mattack likes this.
  20. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    that's a huge age gap, but actually LESS than I thought.. For some reason I thought it was 40+ year gap.