Allen Gregory "Pilot" 10/30/2011

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by astrohip, Oct 31, 2011.

1. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    Ok, someone has to start this...

Yuk. No other way to put it. I think I half-smiled a couple times, but in general this was a huge disappointment. I tend to either love or hate FOX's Animation Domination shows, and it ain't hard to see which way this one falls.

I forced myself to stick it out. I know pilot eps can be tricky. I kept thinking it will "find its way". Nope. I can take rude & crude, I can take gay-bashing, Jew-bashing, Murdoch-bashing, Texas-bashing, misogynistic, yada yada*. But at least make it funny. There was so much potential in the characters, and they somehow managed to miss all of it.

Bob's Burgers was a hit from last year, but it doesn't look like this year we'll have a keeper. YMMV.

What did YOU think?

*Talking about FOX animated comedies in general, not this specific show/episode.

2. Hoffer

Hoffer Eat Lightning ----- Poo Thunder TCF Club

Jun 1, 2001
    Twin Cities, MN
    I was listening to a podcast last night where they talked about this show. I looked at the guide data and the show had ended like 10 minutes before. So, I plan to acquire the show off the internet and give it a watch.

I'm not a lover of all of Fox's animation. I tried like 3 episodes of Bob's Burgers(that's the name right?) and did not like. I never liked King of the Hill.

3. Bob_Newhart

Bob_Newhart My Custom User Title

Jul 14, 2004
    Houston
    The funniest 3 or 4 "jokes" in this episode were the ones they had used in the promos for the show. I did,'t find anything else remotely entertaining about this show.

6 weeks, tops.

It was a bad night for animation domination last night. The Simpsons Treehouse sucked ass and Family Guy was the worst one they've ever done. I never have liked Cleveland and last night's show di'int change my opinion.

Where the hell is American Dad?!?!

4. Hoffer

Hoffer Eat Lightning ----- Poo Thunder TCF Club

Jun 1, 2001
    Twin Cities, MN
    Iraq Lobster made me laugh for some reason. :)

5. Bob_Newhart

Bob_Newhart My Custom User Title

Jul 14, 2004
    Houston
    Probably in contrast to the rest of the hilarious domestic abuse theme.

6. dcheesi

dcheesi ...I'm not.

Apr 6, 2001
    MD, USA
    Oh, *that's* why it was a terrorist! I just heard "rock lobster" and couldn't figure out the connection :eek:

7. MegaHertz67

MegaHertz67 Registered Smart Ass

Apr 18, 2005
    Miami
    I agree with your assessment of Fox animation shows. I watch The Simpsons, Family Guy, and Cleveland Show, but can not watch American Dad, could not stand Bob's Burgers, and really was lukewarm at best on King of the Hill.

Last night I forgot this was coming on, but since I record what's around it, I was able to hit record and watch a little. A little was all I needed to know this was not a keeper. I don't usually stop watching part of the way through a show...I give it a chance to redeem itself if it can. Not this time. Commercial break came and I deleted.

Seems that not a lot of people were all that interested because the ratings were not great:
    FOX Allen Gregory (Season Premiere) Ratings 18-49:2.4 / 6 share 4.74 million viewers

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/20...-holds-up-allen-gregory-debuts-weakly/108988/

8. midas

midas I heard that

Jun 1, 2000
    Montgomery,...
    Must have been in a good mood last night. I thought it was much better than I expected. Granted, I didn't expect much. I wouldn't cry if they pulled it, but I could waste 30 minutes on it.

9. That Don Guy

That Don Guy Now with more GB

Mar 13, 2003
    Benicia, CA
    You're in luck - they only made 6 (possibly 7) episodes for its initial run.

They probably don't have a Halloween episode this season, so they probably put The Cleveland Show on in its place - also note that TCS won't air on the next two Sundays as it is moving to 7:30, which means it gets pre-empted whenever Fox has an NFL doubleheader. I have a feeling Fox is "pulling a Futurama" with AD - they probably won't order any more episodes, and will try to stretch what they do have in production over two years (it's already scheduled to go on hiatus in January, with Bob's Burgers and Napoleon Dynamite joining the schedule).

Did you hear about the new contest where you can win a trip to LA and a seat at a table read for one of Fox's animated shows? There are just two catches; one, Fox decides which show, and two, they can get rid of the table read part of the prize for pretty much any reason.

10. ebockelman

ebockelman PR#6

Jul 12, 2001
    Orlando,...
    Just watched it. Wow, that was bad.

I don't normally delete an SP after the pilot. I usually give them 2-3 episodes before deciding.

SP deleted. I think I've done that maybe 2 other times these past few years.

11. swinca

swinca Menace to society

Jun 19, 2003
    Jaw-ja y'all
    Wow, was it really that bad? I remember laughing at this. Ok, maybe I was under the influence, but I do remember thinking it was funny. I'll give it another episode.

12. jschuur

jschuur TV-holic, improving

Nov 27, 2002
    London, UK
    There's two kinds of bad shows: Badly produced, and bad premise. Some people might enjoy watching a stuck up, hard to like character that might just learn a tiny lesson each episode, but for me, the boy's attitude just made me not want to see more of him.

13. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    Don't like it. Bring back Bob's Burgers.

14. That Don Guy

That Don Guy Now with more GB

Mar 13, 2003
    Benicia, CA
    Can you hold out until mid-January (certainly no later than 2/12)?

Then again, they could start airing new Bob's Burgers episodes now - they should have some ready - but that would mean showing a lot of reruns in March and April. (Fox did expand the new production run from 13 episodes to 22, but none of the additional episodes would be ready before the season ends in May.)

15. sharkster

sharkster Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    Ditto that!! I didn't find any redeeming qualities to this show at all. Bob's Burgers, however and while it is kind of lame, entertains me and I am intrigued by the weird characters and equally weird voices. It's not King of the Hill, but I would keep watching.

Is Bob's Burger finished?

16. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    It is scheduled to come back in early 2012 (Jan or Feb?).

Totally agree about the characters and voices. I can't look away! :up:

17. sharkster

sharkster Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    Yay! Thanks for that info, Astrohip. Will look forward to it replacing this hot mess. :D

18. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    I'm against child abuse, but if I ever came across a kid like this I'd beat him senseless.

I have to keep watching. Something about not being able to take my eyes off of a train wreck.

19. megory

megory Advanced TiVoOligan

Jan 22, 2003
    Spectrum,...
    I kept hoping this would redeem itself and have something human or likeable in it, but for me, it was repulsive and intolerable (albeit I watched it). Wasted my time and came out feeling yucky. Cancel.

20. SeanC

SeanC ECT

Dec 30, 2003
    Someplace
    When the show first aired that was the weekend of the snow storm so I lost power. I read this thread before downloading and watching the episode. I thought maybe people were being overly harsh, maybe there was something I would enjoy in this show.

There is not. I was just watching the episode today live and I can't take it. I'm out, done, finito, this show is just awful.

I don't find anything that is being said on it humurous in any way, how in the hell there was enough momentum behind this project to bring it to the airwaves, I cannot comprehend.