All Shows-Sorted by Date

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by opsman, Oct 28, 2018.

1. opsman

opsman Member

Sep 22, 2018

Advertisements

Sorry if this has been answered but I cant find it.

My Roamio OTA is on 21.8.2.RC14.

When viewing My Shows and sorted by date, it does not sort by most recently recorded-which is what I prefer. Switching to By Name works, but not by date.

Opening PyTivo shows the way I want but not on the Roamio itself.

Any suggestions?

2. mrizzo80

mrizzo80 Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2012
    I'm on the same version and sorting by date appears to work for me. Do you have streaming shows within My Shows? Those seem to get injected into the list based on whenever TiVo detects new shows have been added to an OTT provider.

Did this start for you recently? I think the .14 build was released about 10 days ago.

opsman likes this.
  3. opsman

opsman Member

Sep 22, 2018
    Only been on Tivo for 3 weeks so I really dont know when it started.

I have no streaming shows recorded but all my One Pass were set to Recordings and Streaming with Rent or Buy set to dont include.

I just went through and changed all my One Pass setting to record only. All 29 of them, ugh. Also changed my One Pass Preference for future new setup.

Doesnt make sense to me but now all is showing correctly. Thanks!

4. opsman

opsman Member

Sep 22, 2018
    Does turning off Steaming and set to Recording Only in One Pass get rid of all the bookmarks being created that I done care about? 2 birds with one stone would be great........

Still learning settingings does and donts on Tivo!!!!

This place has been huge for me getting things set up right :)

5. mrizzo80

mrizzo80 Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2012

Advertisements

I don't know exactly what is going on, so I'll provide a few (hopefully) helpful things to look into.

If you don't plan on ever using your TiVo to watch OTT (Netflix, Amazon, Hulu) content, uncheck them from "Add & Manage Apps." If you want to make sure all *future* OnePass's default to "recordings only", check out "OnePass & Recording Options." Both of the above are found in "User Preferences." If you want some, but not all, of those OTT bookmarks to remain, I would go into the 1P for that show and update the "Start From" season number for that 1P. You can also just click the Clear button on your remote to nuke an episode in My Shows.

6. opsman

opsman Member

Sep 22, 2018
    Thank for the tips.

It appears that changing all my 1P to Recordings only has removed the bookmarks. I'll keep an eye on that.

I had already changed my One Pass defaults so thats done.

After just one day with Tivo, I turned off suggestions.

I use a Roku for the small amount of streaming I do (Roamio is set up for cable) but still leave Amazon Prime checked on the Roamio as when doing a search, seeing something is available there without checking the Roku has been helpful.

BUT, if I see the bookmarks come back, I will try unchecking Amazon in Apps Settings

7. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    What does it say in the lower right when looking at the list of shows? It should say “sort by date” versus “sort by season.” Hit the B key to change it. Sort by season does them by original date. Sort by date does by recording date.

Watchlist versus recordings (C button) adds or removes non recordings from the list.

8. opsman

opsman Member

Sep 22, 2018
    Yup was doing that. Sort by name was fine, sort by Date wasnt worth a crap. Seems its might have had something to do with all my 1P being set for Recording and Streaming. All seems good now that I have changed to Recording only.

But pyTivo showed By Date correctly without making all those changes.

9. TonyD79

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    I have some of those too and they work fine. Did you try the C button for changing to recordings?

Let me clarify.

I have Doctor Who as recordings and streaming. I have the last two episodes recorded.

Let’s start with C set to recordings (or use the recordings selection on the ribbon of my shows), I get the newest first when sort by date and the newest last when sort by season.

If c is set to watch list, sort by season shows the shows by their episode number. Tonight’s show is listed just above the extras in the list. If I do sort by date, tonight’s episode is at the top, followed by last week then older shows that are streaming in reverse date order.

I am recording an old episode later tonight so I can tell you what it does with it.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2018
    opsman likes this.
  10. opsman

opsman Member

Sep 22, 2018
    Ill try that as well.

I just went into settings and add recording as an option. That being done, Ill reset a few 1P to include streaming and see if that rejumbles the By Date option using All Shows and then try Recodings to see if it sorts properly.

Thanks for the suggestion

11. TonyD79

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    My follow up.

I recorded The Next Doctor last night. It is considered an “extra” and not part of a season.

It sorts correctly by date recorded at the top of the list when sorted by date. Also, it fits into extras (at the bottom) when sorted by season and fits into the list of episodes properly in the watch list view.

12. opsman

opsman Member

Sep 22, 2018
    Is it sorting correctly by date when All Shows tab is selected? That was where mine were jumbled when sorting by date.

I didnt have Recordings checked off so it wasnt an option at the time.

13. jlb

jlb Go Pats!

Dec 13, 2001
    Burlington, VT
    May I ask why? In case you were not aware, recording of suggestions does NOT technically take up usable space to record your 1Passes. Suggestions will always be overwritten by recordings you specify when necessary (unless a suggestion is recorded and you specially go to the options for a particular suggestion and flag it to "keep until I delete".

Also, once you train your TiVo a little bit, by going to the list of suggestions and provided thumb up/down ratings, it can actually do a pretty good job of finding content you may like that you do not have in your 1Pass list.

Just my $.02

Welcome to TiVo and the TiVo Community forum!

Mikeguy likes this.
  14. opsman

opsman Member

Sep 22, 2018
    I dont have the time to watch what I record, I dont need more to watch LOL

In the future I may turn it back on but for now I'll leave it off.

Thanks for the welcome!! I should have done this a LOOOONG time ago.

15. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Another advantage of it (it happens to me not infrequently): it can catch recordings you wanted made but forgot to set.

opsman likes this.
  16. TonyD79

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    Yes. It is. When sorted by date, the recordings were at the top and the streaming/bookmarks were below. But since you are interested in the order of the recordings, I’d say hit the C button to only show recordings then use B to change the sort order.

opsman likes this.
  17. TonyD79

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    Some of us hate our DVR recording when we don’t tell it to. Nor do some of use finding it doing its job well. I always hated suggestions. And now they just plain stink (your thumbs up/down thing is broken).

Besides, with streaming and on demand options, it is hard to miss a show completely.

Now, can we return to the OP’s topic?

18. Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    1. Suggestions aren't broken on TE3--they work fairly well (at least for me).
    2. Some of us don't do streaming or on-demand--Suggestions can prove helpful (and even if one does have streaming and on-demand--suggestions from anyone or anything can be helpful).
    3. TiVo has covered all contingencies--if one likes Suggestions, keep them on, otherwise, turn them off.

Yep, happy to return to the OP's original question (Suggestions actually was a later topic raised by him).

19. TonyD79

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    True.

(Pretty sure suggestions broke for everyone not just hydra according to reports here.)

20. Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    (Perhaps I'm wrong but, I think they still are fine on TE3. At least, I've had no issue with them there.)