All recorded programs vanish after restart

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Chris Spurgeon, Sep 29, 2018.

1. Chris Spurgeon

Chris Spurgeon New Member

Jul 11, 2017
    My old TiVo gave up the ghost, so I bought a new TiVo BOLT VOX 3TB. Worked fine until last night, when there was a power failure. When the TiVo restarted, I discovered that all of my recorded programs were gone! What the hell?

Is this just the way new TiVos are? (If so, that's terrible!) There's probably no way to get those programs back, but is there at least a way to keep this from happening the next time the TiVo restarts?

Thanks!

2. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Buy a UPS.

But first record a program. Then pull the plug. If it's also gone, your box is bad.

3. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    A couple thoughts...

Look in the ‘Recently Deleted’ folder for the lost recordings.

Create a few recordings then restart the box and see if the new recordings also disappear.

It will put you back at square one, but you might consider doing a ‘Clear & Delete Everything’ reset of the DVR. After, once tuning, force some recordings then restart the box and see if the recordings are lost.

If still losing recordings, contact TiVo for warranty support or pull the drive and test it using the manufacturer’s diagnostics. (There may also be some Kickstart commands for testing the drive that you could try before pulling it from the TiVo.)

HerronScott likes this.
  4. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
  5. Harold Guthrie

Harold Guthrie New Member

Oct 21, 2018
    I'm having the same problem. Have a TiVo Bolt VOX and all recordings are lost after a power outage. What a shame. My old TiVo boxes never had a problem, but this new TiVo Bolt VOX has just been a headache. Support told me that they were working on a fix in the late Spring, and I thought it was released. But, it still seems to be happening.

6. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Have you performed a ‘Clear & Delete Everything’ factory reset* of the box since the symptoms first appeared?

* This reset would erase all recordings and settings, including CableCARD pairings.

7. Harold Guthrie

Harold Guthrie New Member

Oct 21, 2018
    Are you saying a Factory Reset will fix it? Or, is that simply something to try? By the way, when this issue happens, none of my OnePass shows will record, either. I have to delete and re-setup all my OnePass in order for them to start recording. It also loses my Netflix login, which has to be re-setup.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2018
  8. rdrrepair

rdrrepair Bill Knapp

Nov 24, 2006
    845 New York
    Is that the original hard drive that was in the TiVo when you purchased it?

9. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    No guarantees it will fix it, but your symptoms sound similar to situations where a C&DE did fix the problem (migrated hard drives); plus, you could do the C&DE after the next time you lose everything, when there’d be little to risk.

HerronScott likes this.