All my Mini's failed at once!

Discussion in 'TiVo Mini' started by brobin, Sep 30, 2020.

1. brobin

brobin Member

Feb 14, 2014

Advertisements

I have 10 Mini's behind a Roamio Plus that have been working well with occasional problems that started with the TE4 "upgrade." Monday night we found that one of them was unable to find the Roamio Plus. Usually a forced connect & reboot will solve that but the Mini wouldn't connect to the internet. I did the 'Troubleshooting' connect and it passed and set the clock. But it still wouldn't connect to the mothership. The same thing was happening on other Mini's in the house.

Tuesday morning I found that by unplugging all the Mini's from the switch I was able to add back three of them one at a time by clearing and rerunning guided setup. On the 4th one I got the message that the Mini needed to be activated but it showed it was already activated in my account. I called the Tivo number on the screen and the agent saw a problem and changed something on their end which fixed it and let me finish the setup. She also said she was going to make changes to ALL the Mini's in my account. I plugged the remaining ones back in and they all started up and are working fine now.

I suspect that this happened due to an update that was pushed on Monday and the agent didn't disagree. Another reason to dump TE4 and go back to the rock solid TE3 version. The only reason I have TE4 is for Auto Skip but it's not worth the problems.

2. Oct 2, 2020 #2 of 15
    obeythelaw2004

obeythelaw2004 Member

Oct 27, 2013
    I thought I was going crazy. I have 3 minis and all of them cannot see my TiVo roamio. I’m hoping when I call into support they will be able to fix it. I’ve tried numerous reboots of the main roamio.

3. Oct 2, 2020 #3 of 15
    terpfan1980

terpfan1980 It's Just TV TCF Club

Jan 28, 2002
    Xbox Live:...
    All of mine went nuts over the last day because TiVo was seeing too many devices on my account. But... it is possible that others problems noted above were adding to the issues :(

I got it resolved, finally, getting all of the mini's to come back into service (the ones that I needed online, not the others that were dormant and didn't need to be active). I have multiple devices on a "second" account that keeps them from taking the spaces that are needed for active devices. I tend to wind up stuck right at the limit for active devices on an account and if I swap in a unit it puts me over the limit and knocks the mini's out of service.

4. Oct 2, 2020 #4 of 15
    brobin

brobin Member

Feb 14, 2014
    I addition to the DVR itself the agent told me that the maximum number of mini's is 11.

5. Oct 2, 2020 #5 of 15
    brobin

brobin Member

Feb 14, 2014

Advertisements

Try clearing and resetting the mini's and then running guided setup. That worked for the first 3 I did.

6. Oct 3, 2020 #6 of 15
    terpfan1980

Jan 28, 2002
    I think that is basically the max number of devices per account period, not just mini's. That would include the Edge/ Bolt/ Roamio or even Premiere if you had one (and you'd need at least one) to serve content to the mini's.

In my case I've got now (and need to update my signature) a couple of Edge devices, one Bolt device, one Roamio Pro, and 5 active mini's in the home, so I live close to the limit for number of devices per account. I've still got a spare (ready for use in case either of the other devices fail) Roamio and Bolt and a couple of older mini's. Those are kept on a secondary account (different e-mail address, but same phone number). They can be used if I wanted but they wouldn't share content with the devices on the primary account and I have to switch logons for the website I want to control those devices or manage content on them, etc.

I think I've still got a couple of older devices that are still carried on the secondary account that I gave to former co-workers some time back. They never bothered to actually complete the transfer of ownership that I told them to finish up. (Lazy bastages). I didn't want to orphan those devices in case they were ever sold or given to someone else though I suppose at this point that it doesn't matter since the devices are completely out of my control and if they go to anyone else I might never know it and they would probably not be able to contact me to get me to complete my end of the transfer of ownership that would be needed.

Thankfully getting everything back online yesterday kept me from getting a beatdown from my wife over the TV's with the mini's not working for her. She gets annoyed when she can't just turn the TV on and use it. I don't blame her, and I get frustrated too.

7. Oct 3, 2020 #7 of 15
    waynomo

waynomo My One Time TCF Club

Nov 9, 2002
    Seven...
    I've been having issues too.
    My original Mini Vox failed yesterday. I spent 35 minutes on the phone with TiVo support connecting and restarting the Mini and Edge several times and finally things worked.
    This morning the original Mini Vox wasn't working. The newer Mini Vox which was added yesterday was working until I played with some settings on the Edge and now neither Mini is working.

I'm rerunning guided setup again to see what happens.

ETA: That didn't work. On the phone with TiVo support right now.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2020
  8. Oct 3, 2020 #8 of 15
    brobin

brobin Member

Feb 14, 2014
    I'm convinced that something in a recent update caused these issues and when I mentioned that to support they didn't disagree. As for the number of devices on an account, I have 14 devices registered to my account now with 11 plugged in and working. After selling our 2nd home I transferred those devices to the account I use here. The 2nd home account has no devices now. The three unplugged devices are a base Roamio (OTA/cable) and two mini's, one of which is sticks on the Tivo logo screen and won't boot. I have to call to see if they'll give me the $29 or $39 swap but if not I won't replace it as I'm not sure how long Tivo will remain viable now that cable cards are going away. Since the FCC has relieved cable companies from the mandate to provide cable cards, they're getting harder to find and provision. While it's unlikely that existing cards will be stop working anytime soon, if new Tivo customers can't get them then only OTA customers will buy Tivo's and that's probably not enough to sustain their business. If that happens at least the wedge shaped mini's with their grippy feet will make good doorstops.

9. Oct 3, 2020 #9 of 15
    waynomo

waynomo My One Time TCF Club

Nov 9, 2002
    Seven...
    Well that's 3 hours of my life I won't get back. :eek: (Officially 2 hours on the phone with TiVo support, but I started trouble shooting before they opened at 11 AM ET.)

tl;dr I had 14 active devices and 1 inactive* device on my account. We transferred 5 to another a new TiVo account and all is well. (thanks @terpfan1980 for confirming that was the max number of devices allowed.)

Most of the time on the phone with TiVo support was taken up by restarting and making a TiVo service connections. At one point I was asked to unplug everything network wise including my router and all TiVo devices. Of course that didn't work. After all the TSR wanted to do something else. (I forget what.) I told what I had read about 11 devices and asked if we could transfer some. (I should have done that from the start!!:mad: ) She went to confirm that with someone. And then said she would have to call me back. In their credit the call back came in less than 15 minutes. It took a bit of time to transfer the devices, but I think they need to do that manually.

I had added the 12th device about a month ago and we hadn't had any problems. I added 2 more Mini Voxes to the account yesterday and that's when we started having problems.

Anyway, we're back online. My wife is happy!

*Do inactive devices count against your quota of 11 devices?

terpfan1980 likes this.
  10. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003
    How does that work? Do the five only talk to each other, and not to the devices on the original account?

Last edited: Oct 6, 2020
  11. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I have 11 active devices and 2 inactive. No problems.

mini v2-1 A93-0001-90E3-xxxx TiVo Mini
    11/03/2015 TiVo Mini Service Only, Product Lifetime N/A This DVR already has All-in plan service (previously known as Product Lifetime service). No other plans are available.

mini v1 A92-0001-90AA-xxxxx TiVo Mini
    11/24/2014 Mini LUX - No Plan Required N/A This DVR already has All-in plan service (previously known as Product Lifetime service). No other plans are available.

I have a Mini LUX and didn't know it!! o_O

Last edited: Oct 3, 2020
  12. terpfan1980

Jan 28, 2002
    That's the mystery here. I would have expected that it was only looking at active devices, but how TiVo figures out active and inactive is a bit of a mystery. Enough so that simply disconnecting the device doesn't cut it. And seemingly enough that having a device disconnected for a few days doesn't cut it either. So it seems to be more like a week or more before a device is considered inactive.

13. miketx

miketx Active Member

Sep 22, 2005
    I had this problem for the past two years (Minis lost contact with main Roamio or Bolt). Only thing that fixed it for me was powering down everything (Roamio and all Minis), then boot the Roamio up, and then power up the Minis one by one. It's a pain, but only thing that consistently worked. The problem would happen randomly, but mainly when I lost power. Something in the Roamio/Mini MoCA software is messed up.

14. dougtv

dougtv Member

May 20, 2015
    Another reason to stay away from TE4 :D

slowbiscuit likes this.
  15. jaredmwright

jaredmwright Member

Sep 5, 2004
    Bay Area
    I have two accounts as well due to exceeding 11 devices on the account. I recently added another Mini Vox and Stream so had to move older devices into a second account to free up slots. I hope TiVo navigates and continues to stay relevant, although the way we all consume content is slowly changing to streaming and OTT services. I plan on keeping mine until they no longer work. I have to say I enjoy the new TiVo Stream in complement to TiVo, it's too bad they aren't integrated in any way or that TiVo didn't evolve and move away from its existing code base to modernize.

I have a Fire Stick 4K, Nvidia Shield 2nd gen and various smart TVs. The Stream is holding it's own and I like what they have done. The remote is nice and price is reasonable. This may be the future sooner rather than later with continued streaming service evolution. If you haven't tried one and were thinking about it, I recommend giving it a try to replace the built in apps and truly have a great experience and access to all platforms.