All lights flashing 3-4 times per second

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by FLSunshine, Mar 16, 2020.

1. FLSunshine

FLSunshine New Member

Mar 6, 2020
    Roamio Pro with Lifetime.

All circles flashing 3-4 times per second. Any way to get error codes or troubleshoot?

Seems heat related. Unplugged overnight. Startup fine. I can see My Shows and navigate menus.

Then everything goes South after a few minutes. Reboots with no warning and immediately shows Welcome! Starting Up... screen. Then freezes and and lights start flashing.

If I unplug for 30 seconds and restart, I do not get past Welcome! Starting Up Screen before it starts flashing again and freezes up on Startup Screen.

That’s why I believe it *might* be heat related.

Solutions? Suggestions? Advice?
    Thanks

Last edited: Mar 16, 2020
  2. Teeps

Teeps Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2001
    Torrance,Cal...
    I would:
    try a different power supply.
    open the box and check the fan.
    install a different HDD

3. FLSunshine

FLSunshine New Member

Mar 6, 2020
    Thanks

Will attempt first 2.

My other experience on a different unit, when I took HD out and put a different one in place, when I returned the original HD, it reformatted it and wiped out all recordings on HD. I really would prefer not to lose the recordings - though if unit is bad, that might not be an option.

4. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    From other posts, I read that will only work on a Bolt.

See: Roamio won't complete boot, repeats: Welcome...starting up!

5. FLSunshine

FLSunshine New Member

Mar 6, 2020
    so you are saying not to attempt #3?

I do not think it’s HD as I can see my shows at the beginning.

6. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    You "think" it might be heat related. What's your MBT? Also, to avoid confusion, "HD" is a model of a TiVo or abbreviation for high definition. HDD is used for the hard disk drive.

I would not change the HDD unless nothing else works or you can backup your programs. When the TiVo goes dark, is it still showing on your network's router? I have a basic Roamio with its cover removed and a fan blowing on it. The MBT on that box is 32C. Normal is 37C to 40C. It is very dependent on the ambient temperature.

Power supply first. Then pop cover and check the fan. The HDD seldom gets warm.

7. UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    I believe the Pro’s power supply is in the case. So this is likely an HDD issue, but can’t be sure.

8. tommage1

tommage1 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2008
    Was the different unit a Bolt? Cannot swap drives around with Bolts without losing everything (in most cases). With a Roamio you SHOULD be able to swap drives with no problem, I do it all the time. I am on TE3 not TE4/Hydra though I don't think that should matter. Whatever OS (TE3/TE4) is on your current drive should also be on the flash drive. If you pop in a new drive to test it should format to what is currently on the flash drive. But you SHOULD be able to pop in the original drive after testing with the new drive and have everything intact.

Leave it unplugged overnight. You say it functions for a bit when you plug in in the morning. When you plug back in (leave the cover off and do check that fan), check the motherboard temperature, see if normal, above normal or increasing.

If not temp could be the drive or power supply. Since your model uses an internal power supply unless you have a spare Roamio sitting around with a power supply you could swap in I'd try the drive swap first. You can ask around, while "I" swap drives around in my Roamios all the time I make no guarantee................. If same problem with "test" drive then I'd guess the power supply though could be other issues. About all a "normal" user could try would be check fan, hard drive or power supply.

UCLABB likes this.
  9. tommage1

tommage1 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2008
    Note, when I talk about swapping drives around in Roamios I don't mean from one Roamio to another. You can swap in a NEW drive, it should format to whatever OS is on the flash drive. You CANNOT swap in a drive from another Roamio. Swap in new/blank drive or a previous drive from the SAME ROAMIO with the same OS as the current drive only.